Alien: Covenant

AncalagonTheBlack

Why haven't they ever had the Aliens arrive on Earth? I always thought that was what the franchise was building to given that Ash in ALIEN and Carter Burke in Aliens were trying to make that happen.

And then Alien3 was about a single Alien in a prison this time.  The franchise, instead of becoming more epic and feeling like it was building, became just a xenomorph anthology.

It's like some FOX executive decided Aliens on Earth was forbidden and they'll never, EVER go there with the franchise.  Whatever.  Good luck with this seemingly Uninspired and very expensive ALIEN remake.  

17 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Personally I think this is a The Force Awakens type situation, where you pay tribute to the original to wash away the slime of a slew of disappointing sequels. Yes Ridley Scott has directed some shitty movies since Gladiator, but he's going back to his roots now. Have faith.

''We get what LOOKS LIKE'' - when I watch the actual movie I'll write the most excited review possible if I love it and I kinda liked Prometheus despite its flaws but that was a shitey trailer 

I loved The Martian though - so I'm hoping Scott is back on top form 

22 minutes ago, generalzod said:

Why haven't they ever had the Aliens arrive on Earth? I always thought that was what the franchise was building to given that Ash in ALIEN and Carter Burke in Aliens were trying to make that happen.

And then Alien3 was about a single Alien in a prison this time.  The franchise, instead of becoming more epic and feeling like it was building, became just a xenomorph anthology.

It's like some FOX executive decided Aliens on Earth was forbidden and they'll never, EVER go there with the franchise.  Whatever.  Good luck with this seemingly Uninspired and very expensive ALIEN remake.  

Yeah and then in Ressurrection they were on the way to Earth, when that giant white alien/human hybrid baby got sucked out the hole in the window....how did that movie end? did the ship crash land into earth? or a few them like Ron Pearlman survived???

2 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

Yeah and then in Ressurrection they were on the way to Earth, when that giant white alien/human hybrid baby got sucked out the hole in the window....how did that movie end? did the ship crash land into earth? or a few them like Ron Pearlman survived???

The big ship crashed (who knows how many people on Earth died, since it cause a massive nuclear explosion), but some people survived on the small ship.

4 hours ago, Isis said:

Director's cuts should exist to add some depth or background to a film, not to fix problems. 

Director's cuts should exist when the theatrical version was edited against the wishes of the director. In which case, both versions fix problems with the other, from the point of view of the people with final say over the respective versions.

3 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

The big ship crashed (who knows how many people on Earth died, since it cause a massive nuclear explosion), but some people survived on the small ship.

oh right right, they had all gotten onto the little ship with the alien.  the big ship had all the other aliens and it crashed.....I always thoguht maybe a few aliens survived that crash.  Lol yeah who knows how many people on Earth died from that.

My favorite part of that movie in when Winona-bot plugs into the mainframe and is like "All Aliens report to level 3" to send them after the one lunatic who wants to breed them.

But how stupid was it at the beginning when they house 3 of the aliens in the same jail cell? dont do that, duh

40 minutes ago, generalzod said:

They did in AvP2, but that was really shit. They did the aliens getting loose on Earth in the comics and novels (in the Earth War arc) and it did kind of work, but the problem was one of the exponential growth: in an open environment it becomes far too difficult to stop the aliens from overrunning the planet (or at least whatever continent they end up on), which is kind of a downer.

4 minutes ago, Werthead said:

They did in AvP2, but that was really shit. They did the aliens getting loose on Earth in the comics and novels (in the Earth War arc) and it did kind of work, but the problem was one of the exponential growth: in an open environment it becomes far too difficult to stop the aliens from overrunning the planet (or at least whatever continent they end up on), which is kind of a downer.

So go for post apocalyptic dystopian badassery.  You could do a trilogy on the fall of earth alone. The final movie, with earth transformed into an Alien hive and the dominant species on the planet with very few humans left, could be terrifying. 

8 minutes ago, Werthead said:

oh i didnt see AvP2.  That is one race of aliens I DO NOT want on this planet!!!!!

They are so dumb though, it's not like they have any technology or anything, the only reason they are so spread out over space is stupid medical/military people trying to constantly breed them, like why? what purpose could even serve in the military? they would never fight for one side, they just kill everyone. 

1 hour ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

They are so dumb though, it's not like they have any technology or anything

Well, we haven't seen them with any technology, but we've only seen newborns acting on instinct without any contact with any alien society that may exist. They're certainly not stupid, and it would be interesting to see what the species would be capable of if left to itself for a few generations.

what purpose could even serve in the military? they would never fight for one side, they just kill everyone. 

Dump them behind enemy lines (ie on an enemy planet/ship/station) where there's nobody from your side for them to kill.

7 minutes ago, felice said:

Well, we haven't seen them with any technology, but we've only seen newborns acting on instinct without any contact with any alien society that may exist. They're certainly not stupid, and it would be interesting to see what the species would be capable of if left to itself for a few generations.

Dump them behind enemy lines (ie on an enemy planet/ship/station) where there's nobody from your side for them to kill.

I meant dumb like, they seem to invent nothing and have no technology, their whole purpose seems to be breeding and eating, no matter where they are.  Haha and they have no qualms about a safe spot for their eggs, any ship they happen to be on is a perfect location for a nest.

But yeah I could see the dumping behind enemy lines thing, but after sooooo many attempts to breed them and use them and it never ONCE working out, and all the death etc, you would think people would leave these things alone.  Like I get the Predator motivation, they want to take part in the ultimate Hunt, for sport and glory.  But for any human being to still think these things can be controlled is insane.

43 minutes ago, generalzod said:

I think it's more like an atomic bomb threat.  You do it over enemy lines/planet and it destroys the enemy.

Yeah. Also I forget if this was abandoned as the series went on but I remember reading that originally the idea was Xenomorphs only lived for like a day and then died. So they'd be good for taking over a planet without damaging the infrastructure too much. (other than the acid blood.)

The best was when DC had the comic rights and used them in official canon. Darkseid had a store of them (after him and Superman had teamed up to deal with their initial appearance) and of course they had a major part in Wildstorm, when Warren Ellis used them to slaughter Stormwatch so he could kick off The Authority.

I meant dumb like, they seem to invent nothing and have no technology

How much technology would a typical human infant invent in the day after being born (Alien)? Or even a whole bunch of human infants abandoned at birth on an alien colony for a few weeks (Aliens)? We haven't seen them given the opportunity to invent anything, at least in the first four movies - I'm not familiar with anything that might have been established in the various spinoffs.

Haha and they have no qualms about a safe spot for their eggs, any ship they happen to be on is a perfect location for a nest.

I don't think they need to worry too much about their eggs' safety; if there's anything out there which eats Alien eggs, I don't want to meet it 8)

6 hours ago, aceluby said:

I really didn't like The Martian though.  With such good source material I really couldn't believe that was the best they could do.

I thought the opposite was true: the book had a good idea which was badly written. The adaptation was a success in that it improved on the book, except for the final scene which felt crass and unnecessary. 

• 1 month later...
On 28/12/2016 at 11:29 PM, Isis said:

I thought the opposite was true: the book had a good idea which was badly written. The adaptation was a success in that it improved on the book, except for the final scene which felt crass and unnecessary. 

I'd say both were pretty equal. The book was essentially a shameless screenplay for a movie anyhow and Ridley Scott was able to draw attention away from the writing (and the overly gushing lead character). But the book had loads of ideas and if Scott has a decent story to work off he'll make a great film. Prometheus (and several other films he's done) highlight how Scott can't tell whether a screenplay is actually any good though.

18 hours ago, Myrddin said:

They've released a "prologue film" for Covenant.

Introduces the new crew....

I'm tempted to avoid these as the teaser material for Prometheus fooled me into thinking we were going to get a great film. Maybe it's better to go into Covenant with low expectations.

Archived