Awesome. Awesome to the max.

all swedes are racist

Someone set off a firework form a table in the back yard. 30 minutes later someone looks outside and the table is on fire. Now I know this could've gone horrible wrong, but we put it out pretty quickly. So instead of a tragedy involving the house burning down, we have a helluva story about us fighting a fire with buckets of water and a soaked towel. Happy New Years everybody!

So I got out to do some more beachcombing this morning, since it's the first sunny day I've had for a couple of weeks.  I wasn't really expecting to find much, as I've already been up and down a good portion of the various shorelines here on Nantucket, and have some good specimens of all of the common shells from the area.  But I planned on following some dirt tracks in my truck to a somewhat remote section of beach on the south shore of the island to see if I could find some more quahog shell for some carving projects.

Anyway, i got to the beach and proceeded east, into the wind, along the high tide line, and after about a mile of finding more and more of a lot of familiar stuff, I found an intact seal skull!  It's just the cranium portion, no lower jaw, but its in good shape, and entirely picked and scoured clean by scavengers and the surf.  Google says its a harbor seal, and it will make a fine addition to my ever-growing collection.

• 3 weeks later...
Got a part time job as a lifty at a nearby ski mountain. Pay sucks but it comes with a free season pass.

Now if only I can find a seal skull buried on one of the slopes, my dreams will be complete.

That reminds me of a friend who got a job as a guide at Hampton Court Palace. He said the pay was low, but it didn't matter, as he was actually being paid for pursuing his hobby.

3 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Who is this seller? 

Kobo. Took advantage of it yesterday to snag another C J Sansom book, which was cheaper on Amazon. You just fill out a form online, quoting your order number and providing a link to the URL where it's cheaper :) 

5 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Kobo. Took advantage of it yesterday to snag another C J Sansom book, which was cheaper on Amazon. You just fill out a form online, quoting your order number and providing a link to the URL where it's cheaper :) 

I thiught so. I use kobo too :D Am quite fond. 

Today was great. I spent a ton of time in the gym this morning, I went on a second coffee date with a nice guy this afternoon, I played a live action clue-solving game this evening and I didn't have a partner but then this random Swiss guy saw the game and wanted to play and we ended up being really well matched (not many people want to run as much as me) and it was awesome. Saturdays are so cool. Every day should be Saturday.

And tomorrow I'm going with a friend to a place with giant trampolines and a parkour course! Going to be soooo sore on Monday, but it will be worth it.

Well the thread I had for helping name our newborn was lost with the forum upgrade. Anyhow, I promised I would let everyone know when we decided on a name. Feb. 4, Preston Wayne will be our new addition! The Mrs. had reservations about the middle name being Wayne, but caved in because it's the middle name of now 5 generations. So, there you go. Awesome, awesome to the max!

Archived