Into the Badlands, Thoughts?

Alia of the knife

Yeah, I think it's "over-the-topness" is it's charm.

It's a mix of "Mad Max," "Kung Fu," and "Conan the Barbarian" all rolled into one, (the movies did not have stellar reviews when they first came out, but such was the charm of the 70's/80's as opposed to now).

Now if they only remake "Zanadu"

https://youtu.be/Rb4WLZHXcds?list=RDRb4WLZHXcds

• 1 month later...

I am really digging this show.  I adore the visuals, and yes, the acting is sort of hammy, but it's fun.  I am really enjoying the addition of Nick Frost to the cast, as well.

Best thing on TV right now. I did worry that Frost might be used as comic relief only, but happily they didn't go down that road in the end and the series is benefiting from it. Quinn is also killing it this season, no pun intended. I love how committed he is to that accent. :P

Best thing on TV right now.

I watched about five episodes over three nights, and somehow never went back.  It was so much "been there watched this already so many times . . . ."

7 hours ago, Zorral said:

I watched about five episodes over three nights, and somehow never went back.  It was so much "been there watched this already so many times . . . ."

I can't get to grips with that view at all. OK, it's a post-apocalypse show, you've seen those before. But never done with such style. The fights are terrific, the sets, costumes and photography are gorgeous, the acting... OK, the acting is variable (I'm looking at you, M.K.), but there are some real gems in there.

On 5/3/2017 at 5:03 PM, mormont said:

Best thing on TV right now. I did worry that Frost might be used as comic relief only, but happily they didn't go down that road in the end and the series is benefiting from it. Quinn is also killing it this season, no pun intended. I love how committed he is to that accent. :P

I know, right?  I mean, I have got a strong southern accent and he makes mine sound tame.  I love it.  

It's the only show I'm really committed to watching right now.  It's fantastic, and I'm honestly puzzled why people aren't enjoying it.  

Stark is getting better. So is Knight, but he's still the weakest link IMO. To be hyper-critical, both Sarah Bolger and Madeleine Mantock have had some dodgy moments too but they've also both had scenes where they absolutely nailed it, such as last week's two-hander between Quinn and Jade. That was fantastic.

Oh, and the series is to keep going, in fact season 3 will be 16 episodes. :)

On 5/4/2017 at 4:14 AM, mormont said:

I can't get to grips with that view at all. OK, it's a post-apocalypse show, you've seen those before. But never done with such style. The fights are terrific, the sets, costumes and photography are gorgeous, the acting... OK, the acting is variable (I'm looking at you, M.K.), but there are some real gems in there.

Yah. Women fighting so devastatingly successfully wearing shoes they can't even walk in with heels so very high and thin, wasp waisted corsets in which they can't breathe, etc. Puts yet another spin on Ginger Rogers doing everything that Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

I have seen this so much and I still fall over laughing every time, and am tired of it.  Also, of course, daughters always fall in love with the outsider.  IOW, one cliche after another, and they aren't confined to dystopia and apocolypse -- and by the way, in this economy, who is making all those lovely clothes?  World-building not convincing, i.e. cannot suspend disbelief.

So you have no problem with male characters fighting eight, nine or ten opponents barehanded and winning but female characters fighting in the wrong clothing is where you draw the line?

ITB's fighting is highly stylised, in the great tradition of Hong Kong martial arts. The Widow fighting in those outfits is something I appreciate for the cool factor. :)

As for 'daughters always fall in love with the outsider'... well, this season puts some spin on that. (For one thing, Tilda is not the Widow's daughter.)

It seems to be connected to his last experience in the mirror room. But I have a suspicion that the Master may have done something too.

On 5/6/2017 at 4:41 AM, mormont said:

It seems to be connected to his last experience in the mirror room. But I have a suspicion that the Master may have done something too.

That was my thought as well...and I'm excited about the Master showing back up...she's pretty intimidating.

I loved Sunday night's fight scenes.  Every single one was a work of art.  Particularly loved the first one with the billowy, transparent sheets and the Butterflies hopping around in their blue tutus.  The visual of it is frankly stunning.  I haven't seen anything like it before in my life.  It's like a Bruce Lee movie had a baby with a Merchant/Ivory film and threw in some 80's MTV for good measure.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Quinn not finishing off or capturing Sunny after the explosion doesn't make sense.  Plus Quinn stabbed Sunny in the side with a sai, which Sunny ignores, but Biaji gets stabbed in the same location with a pair of scissors and seems to die and Veil and Quinn both die from one thrust of the same weapon.

It appears that Biaje used the book and compass unlocked a frequency or encoded message that was broadcast from the tower presumably going to Azra, the city MK and maybe all the others with his "gift"  originate from.     Biaji thinks he is saving the world by sending the message, but we don't know from who or what; the abbots maybe or the Widow or something else.  

2 minutes ago, DivisionByZero said:

If I interpreted the beeps correctly, I'm pretty sure it was a sequence of numbers; 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42; repeated over and over...

;)

So the Smoke monster makes their eyes go black.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

3.01 Enter the Phoenix
Great opening fight in the season premiere.

Spoiler

Maybe I'm just inobservant, but I noticed for the first time that the always amazing Widow was making all her moves against Nathaniel in high heels. Imagine how spectacular she would be in sneakers.
I was a relief to learn that the source of baby Henry's fever is The Gift. I'm assuming this condition will require no additional medical help, but it's going to bring him of a lot of unwanted attention.
The arrival of Pilgrim and his followers in the Badlands really showcased what The Gift can do for a pair of young trained warriors. Pilgrim has a compass like Bajie's, which makes me think that this group came from Azra response to Bajie's radioed message.
Conditions in Azra must not be as utopian as fabled if the Azrians believe they can improve their lot by migrating to the Badlands.

10 hours ago, Holy Sith! said:

3.01 Enter the Phoenix
Great opening fight in the season premiere.

Hide contents

Maybe I'm just inobservant, but I noticed for the first time that the always amazing Widow was making all her moves against Nathaniel in high heels. Imagine how spectacular she would be in sneakers.
I was a relief to learn that the source of baby Henry's fever is The Gift. I'm assuming this condition will require no additional medical help, but it's going to bring him of a lot of unwanted attention.
The arrival of Pilgrim and his followers in the Badlands really showcased what The Gift can do for a pair of young trained warriors. Pilgrim has a compass like Bajie's, which makes me think that this group came from Azra response to Bajie's radioed message.
Conditions in Azra must not be as utopian as fabled if the Azrians believe they can improve their lot by migrating to the Badlands.

Widow has always worn those. It's kind of nuts.

• 2 weeks later...

3.02 Moon Rises, Raven Seeks
Hard-to-watch ending scene

Spoiler

Being hoisted to the rafters by a pair of meat hooks in the back strikes me as an unnecessarily painful path to Visionville.

On the positive side, Moon's new steampunk hand presented by the Widow is totally badass. The replacement is a real upgrade from the original. Instead of seeking revenge, Moon should thank Sunny for his appendage removal service.

Archived