Authors whose death you most regret?

Calibandar

While I really miss both Pratchett and Wynne Jones, authors like Claudia Edwards (you probably never heard of her) and Rhonda Thompson (ditto) seemed so much more sudden and tragic. Edwards left 4 good fantasy books behind, including the first book of a new series. Thompson did a few dreadful romances and then one solid chicklit urban fantasy that showcased her potential.

(After doing a web search, it seems Edwards died much later than I thought -- still dead but she didn't write for decades.)

• 1 month later...

but to that I'd add Thomas Wolfe ... and still not-quite-elderly William Faulkner

Absolutely! Wolfe didn't even outlive the publishing of his last two novels, and he had so much more to say, still... :(

Julio Cortázar. He died at 70, though, but leukaemia/AIDS (as a result of receiving a blood transfusion) is a god-awful end. Principally, I had always hoped to meet him once and maybe talk a little about Argentine aunties, the fire of all fires and Maga...

Don't forget Nikolai Gogol! Considering that he burnt in a delirium some of his manuscripts, which contained most of the second part of Dead Souls - that was sin against the world, not his creative imagination, as a staret did want him to believe!

• 1 year later...

Karl Edward Wagner .  His Kane the Mystics swords man books are favorites of mine . A dark and boarding series,   Kane the main character was an immortal , antihero/villain. Much of the time when he had to be hero is was to save himself when one of schemes would backfire on him. He stopped wring Kane in the late 70's and dint really come back to him until the 1994. When he wrote the Kane story A Gothic Touch.  In this story Kane meet Elric of Melnibone  ( Who is one the Incarnations go the Michal Moorcocks Eternal Champion). I was very happy to see the story  and sad to find out died the year it was published . No more wonderful Kane stories:(

21 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

:(

He got sick right after I discovered him too.

I was lucky and discovered him in the 90's. Not only that but I went from his SF novels to his mainstream ones and really enjoyed them also. The only other writer I miss as much is Roger Zelazny. Both died way too young. 

THe bumping of this thread reminded me how sad I was (and how surprised at the depth of sadness I felt ) when Terry Pratchett passed away. Usually I view these things with a sort of detached sadness but in this case it genuinely upset  me 

On 1/14/2018 at 2:49 PM, Dora Vee said:

HP Lovecraft, Robert E Howard, H Beam Piper, and Terry Pratchett.

Robert E Howard , was only  30 years old when ended his life in 1936 . His mother fell ill with Tuberculosis and went into comma which she wasn't coming out of .   REH  went to his typewriter and typed two lines from a poem  and then he  went out his car , took his gun and shot himself in the head .  It makes me wish I had a time machine . :(

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

THe bumping of this thread reminded me how sad I was (and how surprised at the depth of sadness I felt ) when Terry Pratchett passed away. Usually I view these things with a sort of detached sadness but in this case it genuinely upset  me 

He was brilliant man and a great writer . His Discworld books made me laugh .  :(

Archived