The Dark Tower: Stringer Bell as Roland Deschain?

Mike

Fans forget the faces of their fathers

So this is nice :)

I have to say that the PJ adaptation of LOTR cured me of being a purist. If I could live through seeing that get mauled, misued, mishandled, and occasionally become almost-but-not-quite-right then I live through any book to screen adaptation. And, what TWD has shown is that it is possible to take source material and do different stuff with it, i.e. to not do a like-for-like transformation. American Gods will do that too. I APPROVE.

Bring it on, I say.

1 hour ago, Isis said:

Fans forget the faces of their fathers

So this is nice :)

I have to say that the PJ adaptation of LOTR cured me of being a purist. If I could live through seeing that get mauled, misued, mishandled, and occasionally become almost-but-not-quite-right then I live through any book to screen adaptation. And, what TWD has shown is that it is possible to take source material and do different stuff with it, i.e. to not do a like-for-like transformation. American Gods will do that too. I APPROVE.

Bring it on, I say.

FOTR was pretty good but the films got worse from there.  RTOK had some good moments but... it really had some bad ones too.

This won't really be The Dark Tower... There is no way to take seven novels of source material and turn it into a two hour movie.... So this will be something based upon The Dark Tower... if you think about it that way, it might be enjoyable.. If you judge it by novels, you're bound to be disappointed... 

This is why I prefer TV when adapting books and Graphic novels... 

As for comparing TDT and American Gods... I don;t see the point... it all comes down to personal preference.... But its noteworthy tht American Gods is one novel getting 10 hours of a first season in a TV series.... and Dark Tower is seven novels getting one 2 hour --or thereabouts-- movie....

18 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

This won't really be The Dark Tower... There is no way to take seven novels of source material and turn it into a two hour movie.... So this will be something based upon The Dark Tower... if you think about it that way, it might be enjoyable.. If you judge it by novels, you're bound to be disappointed... 

As for comparing TDT and American Gods... I don;t see the point... it all comes down to personal preference.... But its noteworthy tht American Gods is one novel getting 10 hours of a first season in a TV series.... and Dark Tower is seven novels getting one 2 hour --or thereabouts-- movie....

My understanding is that a TV show will follow the film. And there may be two films. Or did that get cancelled?

No, that is still going to happen I think. 

The reason I was comparing American Gods and The Dark Tower is that they are contemporary examples of popular fantasy source material getting adapted for the screen where viewers are aware in advance that there will be notable changes to the original material, ie new content will be added. 

1 hour ago, Martini Sigil said:

Imagine if they followed the books pattern. 3 movies and then a prequel movie that seems unrelated and then 3 more awful movies that completely ruin everything you've seen previously 

Just now, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Imagine if they followed the books pattern. 3 movies and then a prequel movie that seems unrelated and then 3 more awful movies that completely ruin everything you've seen previously 

There are ways around that.... they dont have to show it linearly .... but I'm sure you know that

11 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Kind of similar to pulling a Lucas, although in that case the prequel is the three awful movies that completely ruin everything you've seen previously.

As for the trailer, it really does seem like they're trying to compress the entire series into one movie, which seems...awful?  Not a fan of the crazy reloading and shit either.  I would have preferred a more western style with some sci-fi elements rather than whatever the fuck that trailer was.

Just now, briantw said:

Kind of similar to pulling a Lucas, although in that case the prequel is the three awful movies that completely ruin everything you've seen previously.

Lol, yes. Fair play to Lucas though, he didn't reveal that the entire Star Wars Universe was set inside his brain and that he was the God of Star Wars that all things revolve around... even if thats how he secretly feels about the franchise.

Just now, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Lol, yes. Fair play to Lucas though, he didn't reveal that the entire Star Wars Universe was set inside his brain and that he was the God of Star Wars that all things revolve around... even if thats how he secretly feels about the franchise.

True, but he did make Jar Jar, so fuck him.

From the looks of it we are getting:

Roland chasing and catching up with the MIB(The Gunslinger)

Jake having visions and coming to mid-world via the haunted house(Mix of the Gunslinger and Wastelands)

Lud or Tull but with Taheen(Mix of Wastelands and The Dark Tower)

Roland coming to earth(Mix of Drawing of the Three and Wolves/The Dark Tower)

Hard to see where Susan and Eddie will fit in if there are even plans to.

3 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

While there is an element of that in the books King acknowledges that he essentially acts as a conduit for the story rather than it's under his control. Otherwise he wouldn't be at risk of death and wouldn't point out at length that he only writes what comes to him even when it's an element he doesn't want to write eg character deaths, etc. It's still a bit meta/indulgent but not as straight-forward as you make out. If anything he's probably admitting to what most authors are when creating a story if they realise it or not they fundamentally are responsible for that story existing. Beyond that is the question of where do ideas come from - in this case the Dark Tower.

2 hours ago, aFeastForDragons said:

From the looks of it we are getting:

Roland chasing and catching up with the MIB(The Gunslinger)

Jake having visions and coming to mid-world via the haunted house(Mix of the Gunslinger and Wastelands)

Lud or Tull but with Taheen(Mix of Wastelands and The Dark Tower)

Roland coming to earth(Mix of Drawing of the Three and Wolves/The Dark Tower)

Hard to see where Susan and Eddie will fit in if there are even plans to.

They did say they'd be drawing from the first three books. I don't think there's been any mention of Susan or Eddie in the books (hopefully we'll get an Eddie Easter egg in the New York segments). It doesn't mean they won't appear in the sequels although Susan will require some serious rethinking. The split personalities and the intentional stereotyping of her speech is something that was uncomfortable to read - it'd be even more problematic on screen.

Archived