Does Arya survives at the end and furthers the stark family line through gendry?

ser gerold

Well, the way I see the story unfolding for Gendry, I see him as the last Baratheon standing in the end, and personality-wise he will be an amalgamation of three Baratheon brothers: he has physical talents and probably battle skills which are passed to him by his dad's genetics, he will have a talent for military strategy and iron will of his uncle Stannis, and he will have charisma and love of the people he commands like his uncle Renly.

Why? I don't see any textual evidence that supports this. Gendry is large, strong, & a capable blacksmith but there is nothing to indicate that he's a leader or would be a good warrior or commander. He has had zero training in either. He knows nothing about military strategy. Men like Robert, Ned, Tywin, Tarly, etc. trained for years with masters at arms, were educated by maesters, & most certainly learned from/observed their father's councils & strategic planning. Gendry has had none of this. IIRC he can't read or write, can he even read a map? Gendry can forge swords but doesn't know how to properly handle them. I don't think martial skill is inherited, it is something one is trained & groomed for for years if not decades. 

When Dany and Tyrion arrive in Westeros with Dothraki horde, he might ally himself with Mother of Dragons since he is follower of the Red God and she is believed to be Azor Ahai. Maybe at that point he will know the truth about his father, but he will not care as that fact never made his lofe easier and he needed to earn everything in his life the hard way and I think Dany would love it. Plus Dany will see the love and devotion he has of the people he leads, so she will likely decide to join forces.

I think Gendry will be one of the commanders of Dany first in second Dance of the Dragons, then in the Battle of Dawn against White Walkers.

Seriously? Leading Dany's army? I think this is even less likely than him having some inherited battle prowess & military skill. This is Dany we're talking about. Gendry is the natural born son of the man that murdered her brother, brought on the downfall of her house, nearly eradicated her entire family, & made several assassination attempts on her life. She's not going to be friendly towards him if they ever cross paths, let alone trust him to lead her army. Do you think she'll have anything to do with the usurper's bastard (or the usurper's dogs or their descendants)? Honestly, I think that's going to be Dany's downfall: her inability to ally with anyone that was associated with Robert's Rebellion. She's already shown to be stubborn, headstrong, & unwilling to listen to reason or view the history with any nuance whatsoever. She thinks Ned = The Mountain & is just as guilty for the murder of Rhaegar's children. Based on her previous actions/behavior, I think it's safe to assume that Dany will will be the mirror image of Robert Baratheon if/when she gets to Westeros & claims the throne. She will try to exterminate anyone associated with the usurper & his dogs in her eyes (think about her crucifying the 163 Great Masters in Mereen). Unless Tyrion can talk some sense into her, this could be her Achilles heel & lead to her downfall.

He will enforce king's peace and laws across the realm and become the main military commander of royal armies. However, he will not take Baratheon as his name and ask king to give him a new surname which will associate him with a bull, however Baratheon/Storm Kings bloodline will live through him and be represented on Jon's council, just like Lannisters will be represented through Tyrion who is Smith or Master of Coin/ Minister of Economy and Finance and will help rebuild the kingdom's economy (maybe Tyrion will give Jon an idea of opening a Westerosi bank and help finance the project).

How did we get from Gendry leading Dany's armies to sitting on Jon's council?

Dont get me wrong, I like Gendry but I don't think the text supports your theory. Actually quite the opposite. Gendry doesn't exactly show much initiative in the books, he has zero interest in finding out why the queen wants him dead, why someone paid for his apprenticeship, or why he was sent to the wall. Most people would be curious, there has to be some reason why a nobody from Flea Bottom has caught the eye of all of these nobles right? Must be important or powerful or a threat to someone else's power. But Gendry doesn't care at all. Even the curious way everyone reacts when seeing him for the 1st time (internally noting his resemblance to Robert and/or Renly) is completely ignored by him. He doesn't want to play the game of thrones. He doesn't want to lead or rule. Gendry just wants a quiet, peaceful existence.

I hope he has something to do with the plot of the remaining books. But I highly doubt that marrying Ayra, allying with Dany, or leading armies is going to be a part of it.

Oh gods no, not this wish-fullfillment bullshit. Even if he was legitimized, hed probably run Storm's End into the ground without some capable advisors. Gendry doesnt know the first thing about being a lord, he knows how to make weapons but not how to use them, he is a knight bit he was knighted by a dead man under a false god, he follows that god and most importantly, he is a bastard, the storm lords would never follow him. 

This.

I don't think Gendry would want to be a lord & rule but I certainly don't think he has the skill to successfully do so if he did have the inclination.

If any of Robert's bastards were to be legitimized & granted Storms End it'd be Edric Storm IMO. Both of his parents are nobles, he was raised at Storms End, & he was groomed & educated as high born. A lowly, uneducated, untrained bastard is not going to be legitimized & granted all of that nor is he going to marry a high lord's daughter (the only possibility would be if Sansa remained as Alyane and married an innkeep or blacksmith per Jaime suggests to Brienne, but even that a long shot IMO).

I am talking about alicent was rumored to sleep with viserys before marriage. If this is true, Neither her or her father feel it bad to sleep with king when aemma is still alive. 

Butterwell is very powerful, he used to be hand I think. He was rich by cattles, then what? He is still a high born man. 

Felia is first mistress of aegon IV. Maybe some misspelling? Can not check at this point. A Storkworth. 

Her husband was set as lord of harrenhal due to her and later as king's hand and both his wife and daughter served as king'a mistresses. 

Meg's husband is a commoner. He can not get something like lordship for this. And his wife left him to live in KL I think. So He did not gain much except seven gold dragons

I think you're referring to Lady Falena Stokeworth. I just happened to be reading about Aegon the Unworthy's mistresses in the world book last night. She was 10 years older than Aegon when she took his virginity (he was 14), married off by Pronce Viserys to his master of arms (Lucas Lothston) when they were caught, & he was granted Harrenhal to get her away from court & Aegon.

They later returned to court when Aegon named Lucas as his hand. That's when Aegon took Falena's daughter, Jeyne Lothston, as his 8th mistress. It is rumored that Jeyne was Aegon's daughter & that he has 3somes with both mother & daughter.  They were sent away from court again after Aegon gave Jeyne an STI.

Sorry for going OT but wanted to help clarify. :)

I understand this from the opposite way from yours.

Sansa was not really married. It will be treated as an invalid one.

Arya was not married at all. 

Grrm really cares about their virginity, they did not lose it after so much chaos, for what? 

I predict that sansa may marry aegon. Carry his child but died eventually. 

And arya's maidenblood is likely saved for job snow. 

Jon snow is the ultimate hero in this book, I think he will get a virgin woman later. Can you imagine arwen the even star is a ruined woman? this perfect maid is likely arya. 

I'd been thinking about this. Do you think there's any possibility of the Bolton's claiming that Ayra was married by proxy like Asha Greyjoy was? Asha didn't consent to marry Eryk Anvil-Breaker & IIRC a seal stood in her place for the ceremony yet they are considered legally married. Could they try the same thing with Arya & say that Jeyne stood in for Ayra (like Asha'a seal) to try to claim legitimacy of the union? I know it's highly unlikely but wondering if the argument could be made.

She is similar to the nettles, go to some wild place with her magic pet and live as some sort of witch or mysterious leader. Not a wife material. Have we heard Nettles married a nice young man and lived in mountain happily? no, she used her dragon to burn parts of men to test their courage. Something Arya would like to do for sure. 

This is speculation. There is nothing in text that tells us what happened to Nettles & Sheepstealer after they escaped. She may have hidden in the mountains of the Vale & been the inspiration/deity of the Burned Men but it's never been confirmed (I have my doubts, specifically because someone outside of the Burned Men would've certainly gotten a glimpse of Sheepstealer at some point. He was well-known before he was tamed. I think it's very unlikely that a full-grown dragon lived in the Vale without anyone else seeing him flying around.). It shouldn't be regarded as canon or fact.

Regardless, I don't think Nettles is a good parallel for Ayra at all. I think it's an oversimplification at best. The only thing the two have in common is they've both killed & they're both female. It does seem like your main argument about Arya not having a normal life & family is because she's female since we have plenty of examples of men who do a lot of vicious killing but still have wives & families. 

Remember, Martin likes to subvert tropes. It would be just like him to create a ruthless female assassin who is also a good wife & mother.

This is speculation. There is nothing in text that tells us what happened to Nettles & Sheepstealer ....

I do think Nettles had some kind of relationship with Daemon(one sided maybe) . Because

Her riding leathers were stained with blood when she mounted her dragon, Maester Norren records, and “her cheeks were stained with tears.”

This was her feeling when she parted with Daemon and they slept together. So even if she seperated it does not mean that she had no dreams of loving someone .

As you said , Nettles is just not a valid comparison to Arya .  This tumblr post elaborates more on that

http://nobodysuspectsthebutterfly.tumblr.com/post/73197098874/you-said-that-you-didnt-see-any-real-connections

I do think Nettles had some kind of relationship wiht Daemon(one sided maybe) . Because

This was her feeling when she parted with Daemon and they slept together. So even if she seperated it does not mean that she had no dreams of loving someone .

As you said , Nettles is just not a valid comparison to Arya .  This tumblr post elaborates more on that

http://nobodysuspectsthebutterfly.tumblr.com/post/73197098874/you-said-that-you-didnt-see-any-real-connections

I agree & believe that Nettles did love Daemon & it was more than likely mutual. If not, he had no reason to spend one last night with her and then let her escape (he could've spent the night with her & then turned her over to his wife or not spent the night with her at all).

I also agree with the premise of the blog post you linked to. Arya may eventually show some admiration for Nettles at some point, but the 2 characters have nothing in common. Not comparable at all.

Why can't Arya's feelings for Jon, Gendry, and all these other guys she's known since childhood be platonic? This girl has a horde of male friends. She doesn't have to fall into a predictable trope just because she's a girl. Her world doesn't have to be that limited or small.

~~~snip~~~~

Arya's family has been destroyed and she thinks about the brother she was closest too.  The gift he gave her, Needle, is a connection to him and an important reminder of him and her family.

Jon's family has been destroyed and he thinks about the sister he was closest too.  When Ned was killed he had to decide between the Watch and his family, and  appropriately chose the Watch.  

But when push comes to shove, he chose to protect the only living family member he knows he whereabouts too.  (He doesn't know Sansa is in the Vale, relatively safe).  A man wanting to save his sister, especially after receiving the Pink letter, to me that's family loyalty and not a ship. 

I haven't lost sight of the fact that the Stark kids only know very little about their surviving sibs and when two sibs as as close Jon and Arya show tender feelings and thoughts for them, I don't see it as a ship.  Jon thinks Arya is suffering in Winterfell, their childhood home and wants to save her.  Arya thinks Jon is safe at the Wall.  I think that GRRM has abandoned the Jon/Arya ship, it was turned into Jaime/Cersei.  The Stark story reads as a story of family to me, not a story of ships.

I adore Arya, but her taking over is unlikely, as she's last in line, literally.

1. Jon: Either he rejects Robb's will, or dies. Either is likely. Robb wrote his will when he wrongly believed that his only living siblings were Sansa and Jon.  For that reason, Jon might reject WF if it's offered to him.

2. Bran: has to refuse WF, or die. I can see him rejecting the lordship, as he can no longer make babies. Otoh he might accept it, and make a nephew or niece his heir. There's precedent.

3. Rickon: same options as Bran. I can't see Rickon rejecting WF, so he'd have to die.

4. Sansa: See Bran and Rickon. Sansa is not going to reject WF, so her death is the only way out.

5. Then there's Arya. I don't get the fondness for Gendry. The kid is a pointless bastard who's never done anything memorable. Arya doesn't have a crush on him. otoh, Gendry is now tied to LSH, which means Arya will meet him again. I think if Gendry has a role to play, it's as the Baratheon heir, not as Arya's husband.

I think that GRRM has abandoned the Jon/Arya ship, it was turned into Jaime/Cersei.  

You think so? Laughs maliciously.....

Remembering "Stick it with the pointy end" as his last line before death/warging into ghost by Jon does not necessarily indicate romance. But some kind of zealous feeling of protectiveness and love.

Basically they are two hearts that beat as one. 

Whether you call it ship or not is another matter. But there is this soul mate thing which is very evident. They make each other smile. They make each other happy. They even look like each other. Just being reminded of each other makes them love the other person (Ygritte /Arya for Jon.) (Gendry/Jon for Arya). Arya feels happiest when she is making Jon smile. Obligatory reference to "Needle was Jons Snow's smile.  He used to mess my hair and call me "little sister," she remembered, and suddenly there were tears in her eyes.".  And Jon feels happiest when he is around her mussing her hair.

They long to just be together. Forever and ever.

The below post  will further illustrate my point. I found it a very nice read.

http://asoiafuniversity.tumblr.com/post/117308069085/thebluebard-in-search-of-homes-jon-and

You think so? Laughs maliciously.....

Remembering "Stick it with the pointy end" as his last line before death/warging into ghost by Jon does not necessarily indicate romance. But some kind of zealous feeling of protectiveness and love.

Basically they are two hearts that beat as one. 

Whether you call it ship or not is another matter. But there is this soul mate thing which is very evident. They make each other smile. They make each other happy. They even look like each other. Just being reminded of each other makes them love the other person (Ygritte /Arya for Jon.) (Gendry/Jon for Arya). Arya feels happiest when she is making Jon smile. Obligatory reference to "Needle was Jons Snow's smile.  He used to mess my hair and call me "little sister," she remembered, and suddenly there were tears in her eyes.".  And Jon feels happiest when he is around her mussing her hair.

They long to just be together. Forever and ever.

The below post  will further illustrate my point. I found it a very nice read.

http://asoiafuniversity.tumblr.com/post/117308069085/thebluebard-in-search-of-homes-jon-and

I've been all through these arguments many times and am not convinced.  They are close family members of a destroyed family. Their relationship is one of familial bonds, very strong bonds, but bonds of family, not of a sexual love relationship.

I've been all through these arguments many times and am not convinced.  They are close family members of a destroyed family. Their relationship is one of familial bonds, very strong bonds, but bonds of family, not of a sexual love relationship.

It is not yet a sexual love relationship. They have a basic obessive compulsive urge to spend time together and make each other happy. They are not the same now. They need each other to heal them. Can they be with each other forever  without marrying? Would Arya be jealous if she sees Jon spending time with another woman? Would Jon be jealous if the same happens with Arya? Would Arya defend Jon without any reason even when she knows he is wrong, when his acts are indefensible? Will Jon do the same for Arya? When something happens to Arya, will Jon feel more hurt then Arya herself? Will Arya feel more hurt than Jon when he is insulted? 

These are some questions which I have in my mind. Plus all the foreshadowing of King , Queen in their narrative along with the outline just makes it all the more plausible. 

I do think Nettles had some kind of relationship with Daemon(one sided maybe) . Because

The world book already said clearly daemon and Nettles became lovers and this put the final wedge to the relationship between Rhaenyra and her husband Daemon. This means they broke up due to the love affair of Daemon and nettles. 

So yes, they are lovers, and Daemon betrayed his wife by sleeping with Nettles and helping her escape Rhaenyra's wrath. 

It was only the cowardliness and shame of eloping which stopped him from running away with Nettles together and disappeared. But he was still heartbroken so he committed suicide after he had to separate with his true love girl. Keep in mind at this moment he is a 49 year old man, maybe he cherished his love very much in this old age so the grief is so overwhelming that he can not live any more with her. 

I would not feel surprised that if somehow Queen Dany wanted to hunt Arya Stark (either faceless man mission or Stark woman's status) then her husband Jon Targaryen betrayed her by helping Arya escaping.   

This is the third betrayal for love of Dany. 

I would not feel surprised that if somehow Queen Dany wanted to hunt Arya Stark (either faceless man mission or Stark woman's status) then her husband Jon Targaryen betrayed her by helping Arya escaping.   

This is the third betrayal for love of Dany. 

There are some scenarios which are possible. But the  one  about "Hunting due to being a Stark Woman" you mentioned is never possible.

The Mercy chapter does seem to hint that her time as a Faceless man is almost. up. There are also some show spoilers which hint at the same (I wont discuss that here).

If she wants to hunt her due to the "Stark Woman staus" . Assuming she is so insane. Then the chances of Jon marrying her are zero. He would never like such a woman.

At this point I am not sure whether even you yourself believe what you are saying or are you joking around? Your first point about Faceless Men still had some ounce of logic, but your second point. About hunting due to being a Stark Woman. And Jon marrying someone who has such thoughts...Sheesh. You are kind of turning Dany into some kind of Ramsay Bolton. As well turn Jon into Catelyn, Tyrion into Ygritte.

This guy/girl likes Arya a lot or likes Jon a lot . I dont like one of them. So lets have some fun by making some crackpot theories. If that is the case, I dont have time to waste on that.

Arya's family has been destroyed and she thinks about the brother she was closest too.  The gift he gave her, Needle, is a connection to him and an important reminder of him and her family.

Jon's family has been destroyed and he thinks about the sister he was closest too.  When Ned was killed he had to decide between the Watch and his family, and  appropriately chose the Watch.  

But when push comes to shove, he chose to protect the only living family member he knows he whereabouts too.  (He doesn't know Sansa is in the Vale, relatively safe).  A man wanting to save his sister, especially after receiving the Pink letter, to me that's family loyalty and not a ship. 

I haven't lost sight of the fact that the Stark kids only know very little about their surviving sibs and when two sibs as as close Jon and Arya show tender feelings and thoughts for them, I don't see it as a ship.  Jon thinks Arya is suffering in Winterfell, their childhood home and wants to save her.  Arya thinks Jon is safe at the Wall.  I think that GRRM has abandoned the Jon/Arya ship, it was turned into Jaime/Cersei.  The Stark story reads as a story of family to me, not a story of ships.

Agree. This is just my personal opinion, but for me, Starkcest cheapens the story that GRRM seems to be telling about the Starks. I think he realized that as the story evolved. The love of a elder brother for his sisters can be platonic... we had that in the last generation with Lyanna and her brothers, who from all accounts adored her. For me, Jon/Sansa and Jon/Arya would be like Ned/Lyanna or Brandon/Lyanna. Just feels OOC, his initial intentions notwithstanding.

It also seems to undermine the contrast between House Stark and the other Houses, at least in recent generations. The Targaryens, Lannisters, and Baratheons have not only incest, but have had recent power struggles -- incest creates power struggles because it shifts family dynamics irreparably. Jon/Sansa and Jon/Arya would affect Bran, Rickon, and whichever sister isn't Jon's romantic love interest as well. 

Besides, it's just not necessary for the story. There's so much going on that I wonder how GRRM's going to wrap it all up. Starkcest would just add more.

That's why I just can't see it. Sexual and romantic love is fundamentally different from the affection we feel for our family and friends. Besides, the Westermarck effect would inhibit Jon ever seeing his little sisters/cousins as potential love interests. Only way it's plausible is if they're the only humans left after the apocalypse, and must become the new Adam and Eve, but I doubt GRRM wants an ending like that to be his ultimate legacy.

I feel like you're downplaying their feelings a lot. Even before Ned, Cat, and Robb died they thought of each other a lot. Jon is warmed by the thought of Arya's laughter on his way to the Wall. He thinks he'd "give anything" to be with he and remembers her raining kisses on him. Arya thinks of finding Nymeria and going to see Jon on the wall so she wouldn't feel alone. Also the hair mussing and "call me little sister" craving, lol. 

And I believe that both Jon/Arya and Jaime/Cersei could exist in the same story. There are many connections between the pairs, too, if you really think about it. I'm just being quick here so this isn't all of them, but the couples' looks are the same and they enjoy that. Jaime and Jon alone have loads of similarities.  Jaime got his swordhand chopped off, Jon has his burned.Jaime receives a letter about Cersei, Jon receives the pink letter about 'Arya'. Of course Jon actually goes to help her. Both Arya and Cersei wanted swords, but only Arya was given one. So the couples are similar and different. The series started with J/C but it will end with J/A. Jaime and Cersei's relationship is slowly ending, Jon and Arya's is building up. 

That's why I just can't see it. Sexual and romantic love is fundamentally different from the affection we feel for our family and friends. Besides, the Westermarck effect would inhibit Jon ever seeing his little sisters/cousins as potential love interests. Only way it's plausible is if they're the only humans left after the apocalypse, and must become the new Adam and Eve, but I doubt GRRM wants an ending like that to be his ultimate legacy.

At one point Jon says "was she ever my sister" and Arya said once that Jon " would have to stop calling her his little sister. He would have to call her something else. As she is not so little anymore."

Then there was the line about "Would you bed your sister" . When Ygritte told Jon this , he did not feel it was wrong

As far as the Westermark effect is concerned it only operates when you grew up together for the first 6 years. Thats the critical period. After that it is not so strong and the only reason incest does not take place is cultural taboos.

Jon did not grow up with Arya in any of these six years so any little Westermarck that operates on him despite being a Targ is negated.  Arya did. But she is kind of still looking for her pack and someone who would not desert her and leave her.

If Grrm gave a damn about Westermarck effect then there was no way Cersei and Jamie would have had sex.  Jamie and Cersei look alike, but so do Arya and Jon. Plus they are the joint outcasts/black sheeps.

Arya actually reminds Jon of his mother whom he does not know. So there is some subconcious connection there.

Right now we dont even know how Grrm will present it. Without knowing that, I think it is tough to conclude whether or not it is cheapening the story. I think it would be about making the characters greyer than they already are and making you question their decisions even more. One thing I am sure about is that he wont be glorifying incest.

We inherently think Cersei is a villain because she does incest even when she had not done her other bad actions such as screwing up Ned. Now put Arya instead and see what the readers feel. Think from her perspective. Is she right to feel what she feels? Is Jon right to do that to his sister? Is he a paedophile (He is the same age as Gendry though)? If Jon wins the iron throne, he does need to have more weaknesses and more greyness. Getting a honorable character to win the iron throne ...I dont think Grrm will go there. An ideal person to sit the iron throne is someone who believes that wildings are men, slaves deserve to be freed, is ready to do what needs to be done, but has his/her own weaknesses,temptations and character flaws. One of my issues with Ned is that he was too honorable and basically resisted all temptation.

The very reason I love his books is that there is simply no black and white characters like in Harry Potter. They are just human beings with human desires.

I haven't missed the tender feelings between Jon and Arya.  I read their story as two family members of a family that has been destroyed by outside forces, tying to hang on to the family member they were closest to.   Family love and loyalty.   Very powerful stuff, no ship needed.

I haven't missed the tender feelings between Jon and Arya.  I read their story as two family members of a family that has been destroyed by outside forces, tying to hang on to the family member they were closest to.   Family love and loyalty.   Very powerful stuff, no ship needed.

Tell that to the author, lol. 

There are some scenarios which are possible. But the  one  about "Hunting due to being a Stark Woman" you mentioned is never possible.

The Mercy chapter does seem to hint that her time as a Faceless man is almost. up. There are also some show spoilers which hint at the same (I wont discuss that here).

If she wants to hunt her due to the "Stark Woman staus" . Assuming she is so insane. Then the chances of Jon marrying her are zero. He would never like such a woman.

At this point I am not sure whether even you yourself believe what you are saying or are you joking around? Your first point about Faceless Men still had some ounce of logic, but your second point. About hunting due to being a Stark Woman. And Jon marrying someone who has such thoughts...Sheesh. You are kind of turning Dany into some kind of Ramsay Bolton. As well turn Jon into Catelyn, Tyrion into Ygritte.

This guy/girl likes Arya a lot or likes Jon a lot . I dont like one of them. So lets have some fun by making some crackpot theories. If that is the case, I dont have time to waste on that.

I am not interested in creating any set theories. I just want to say there are many possibility grrm can write, it can be very surprising. 

For example, nobody said the marriage of dany and jon has to be a love based one. What if they had to do this to cement the alliance or maintain the targ blood? Like the rose war? (Very likely actually) 

And who can guarantee dany would not play a rhaenyra again and hunt arya for being stark after their marriage? Or maybe arya did something very wild and angered queen dany or made her jealous by showing off Jon's love in her? 

maybe arya was sent to murder the queen by someone and was caught, then it is possible that she wants to kill her? 

Who knows, maybe arya played as lyanna and tried to elope with king jon and abandon queen dany? After all jon is rhaegar's son. 

There are many possibilities. 

People are flawed, nobody is perfect. Subject to stubborn and mistakes. 

You only wanted to believe everything is perfect with jon and arya, I can see from your name, but what you decided is just your opinion. 

Jon can possibly marry dany, and dany can possibly order arya to die and jon can play daemon to try to save her thus betray his queen, it is a indeed possibility. 

Archived