Bran and the Darkness

Lady Topspin

i think Bloodraven will show him the events of the RW, maybe even flashback to it.

Bran, being young, does not have the mental abilities to process and deal with such an event.

He mentally breaks, giving BR exactly what he wants.

And that is for Bran to see the "darkness"

And Bran gets what he wants, the ability to "fly".

win-win

BR learned from his mistakes with Euron.

I don't think Bran will go dark.   What makes you think this?  He's young true, but more powerful than any greenseer or warg in memory. I've found no indication that greenseers have any evil intention.  Of course that could change in the coming story, but I think there should have been some evidence or foreshadowing of that twist already,   Bran will have to learn to harness his power and control his magic. All we really have is Varamyr Sixskin's lessons about warging into humans being an abomination.    The ease with which Bran slips into Hodor is concerning, but that may be exactly what Hodor is for, too.   No doubt Bran will commit more than one abomination while he learns, but that shouldn't be the sum of his contribution any more than the various vow breaking, murders and treachery other heroic characters have had to commit.   I think Bran's is more likely the hero of a horror story within the larger tale.   

i think Bloodraven will show him the events of the RW, maybe even flashback to it.

Bran, being young, does not have the mental abilities to process and deal with such an event.

He mentally breaks, giving BR exactly what he wants.

And that is for Bran to see the "darkness"

And Bran gets what he wants, the ability to "fly".

win-win

BR learned from his mistakes with Euron.

It's implied Bran knows about the RW, or at least the deaths of Robb and Cat, even if he tries to deny/repress it

In all honesty, I think that some people don't like Bran and so claim he'll turn evil. I guess I understand that notion in terms of 'making him more interesting' (I don't find Bran too dull, but I get that others do).

In my opinion, and for the sake of argument, the only way for Bran to turn to a darker path would be if he saw 'the whole picture' in comparison to the other characters. By this I mean that I can see Bran doing horrible acts if it was caused by his gifts showing him that they were the only way to win/ end the conflict that nobody else could replicate or understand. Through this, Bran would appear evil to the world, but the reader would sympathise that he was trying to do the right thing.

Ned speaks with Bran in Bran’s very first POV in AGoT. Aside from impressing upon him the Stark traditions and the paradox of with fear comes bravery, Ned gives Bran advice that speaks to his future:

ORIGINAL

“One day Bran, you will be Robb’s bannerman, holding a keep of your own for your brother and your king, and justice will belong to you.  When this day comes, you must take no pleasure in the task, but neither must you look away.  A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is” (16).

REVISED

“One day, Bran, you will be a greenseer, sitting a weirwood throne of your own for the old gods of the North, and justice will belong to you.  When that day comes, you must take no vengeance for personal reasons, but neither must you shirk your duties as part of the godhood.  A god who hides behind the face of a weirwood tree soon forgets what death is.”

Ultimately, Bran will deliver justice according to the perimeters of the godhood.  He may need to learn self-control to curb his anger and desire for vengeance [as readers see Arya’s struggles in obedience, delivering her brand retribution without the approval of Him of Many Faces].  Alas, many have said the old gods are cruel, including Bran before he sits his weirwood throne.

Bran appears more powerful than his teacher only because of his youth.  BR’s powers are “different” and the tree has been absorbing them, which means that Bran will acquire them by default.

It is easy to see how Bran could turn evil.  He's bitter from being a cripple.  He can't do what he wants.  He has a crush on Meera Reed.  And he's already off to a good start.  I predict that he will end up killing his mentor, Bloodraven.  Like Varamyr killed his mentor.  What if he learns it was the Lannister who crippled him as well as their reasons for doing it?  He could take the path of revenge.  We already see how much he likes the taste of flesh and blood.  He's starting to enjoy the thrill of the hunt. 

Bran appears more powerful than his teacher only because of his youth.  BR’s powers are “different” and the tree has been absorbing them, which means that Bran will acquire them by default.

This is an interesting idea and one, if I am reading you correctly, I had not previously considered. If the Targaryan/fire side of BR's heritage could be integrated with those of weirwood soul cycle either through BR's death and participation in that soul cycle or as you seem to suggest directly by absorption during BR's Larch Vader apotheosis It would show that the legacies of Ice and Fire are not necessarily either mutually exclusive or antagonistic.

It would furthermore make a pretty good case for Bloodraven- and possibly by virtue of  absorption, Bran-being the Prince That Was Promised.

Much to ponder.

Kudos.

This is an interesting idea and one, if I am reading you correctly, I had not previously considered. If the Targaryan/fire side of BR's heritage could be integrated with those of weirwood soul cycle either through BR's death and participation in that soul cycle or as you seem to suggest directly by absorption during BR's Larch Vader apotheosis It would show that the legacies of Ice and Fire are not necessarily either mutually exclusive or antagonistic.

It would furthermore make a pretty good case for Bloodraven- and possibly by virtue of  absorption, Bran-being the Prince That Was Promised.

Much to ponder.

Kudos.

Exactly - and kudos to you as well.:D  I was going to add a Star Wars spin, but you did it far better than I.  My ideas are usually those not conjured by others and heatedly refuted until a more popular poster takes my inventions and spins them into a new topic. that he/she assumes the authorship for.  

Bran is likewise connected to the Dawn - as in the Sword of the Morning, which was forged  on the heart of a fallen Star.  Bran is the "Fallen STARk", and the "heart of Winterfell and the godswood.  Through Bran Jon will forge Lightbringer reborn, perhaps through Longclaw.

BR's last life will be warged in Ghost and at Jon's side.   I have a few more spins that all work nicely together.

In Varamyr Sixskin's prologue, he fears the judgement of the Old Gods before he sure, but in that moment before his consciousness goes into his wolf beginning his second life, we get a glimpse of his experience merging with the trees. He seems to experience a moment of bliss as he has an experience of unification with nature. I suspect green seers like Brynden and Bran get a glimpse of that earlier than ordinary wargs do.i think this kind of mitigates any dark side light side view. The trees care not for light sides and dark sides, just yin and yang in balance. At worse this might result in some brutal utilitarianism for the sake of bringing things back into balance, but no wanton cruelty.

Exactly - and kudos to you as well.:D  I was going to add a Star Wars spin, but you did it far better than I.  My ideas are usually those not conjured by others and heatedly refuted until a more popular poster takes my inventions and spins them into a new topic. that he/she assumes the authorship for.  

Bran is likewise connected to the Dawn - as in the Sword of the Morning, which was forged  on the heart of a fallen Star.  Bran is the "Fallen STARk", and the "heart of Winterfell and the godswood.  Through Bran Jon will forge Lightbringer reborn, perhaps through Longclaw.

BR's last life will be warged in Ghost and at Jon's side.   I have a few more spins that all work nicely together.

You are saying that Bran is Nissa Nissa reborn?

It is easy to see how Bran could turn evil.  He's bitter from being a cripple.  He can't do what he wants.  He has a crush on Meera Reed.  And he's already off to a good start.  I predict that he will end up killing his mentor, Bloodraven.  Like Varamyr killed his mentor.  What if he learns it was the Lannister who crippled him as well as their reasons for doing it?  He could take the path of revenge.  We already see how much he likes the taste of flesh and blood.  He's starting to enjoy the thrill of the hunt. 

Bran Opens Jon’s Third Eye 

“Don’t be afraid, I like it in the dark. No one can see you, but you can see them. But first you have to open your eyes. See? Like this. And the tree reached down and touched him”.

·        Because Bran influences and inspires Jon’s wolf dream, the greenseer in the tree leans over to touch Ghost between the eyes, a symbolic gesture that compels the warg to open his third eye, after which the forest setting suddenly vanishes.

Bran deftly executes opening Jon’s third-eye in a wolf dream, which is unlike Bran’s own painful experience when the three-eyed crow forces open Bran’s third-eye in a dream, ordering Bran again to “Fly or die!” [ACoK 260].

After Bran prays to the Old Gods to send him dreamless sleep, Bran receives an answer by way of a “nightmare” not a dream, and Bran thinks, “they [the Old Gods] mocked his hopes, for the nightmare they sent was worse than any wolf dream” [260].  The pitiless three-eyed crow attacks a pleading Bran with his “terrible sharp beak,” blinding both Bran’s eyes.  Then, the three-eyed crow pecks at Bran’s brow”, finally wrenching out “slimy . . . bits of bone and brain” [260].  This sorcery allows Bran to see again, through all his eyes. 

What materializes in the vision  is pure terror: Bran relives his crippling fall, and even more frightening than a wolf dream.  Bran sees “the golden man” who saves Bran, then pushes him, excusing his murderous act with these words: “The things I do for love” [260].

In actuality, Bran’s nightmare has inspiration from real events that he experienced recently in his daily life, and what Bran “hears” has such an impact on Bran that he becomes physically ill, unable to breathe, his blood roaring in is ears

Visiting guests Cley Cerwin and his knights are joking about Stannis making his claim to the throne based upon Joffrey’s bastardy

Several key sentences bandied about by the bannermen evocate a visible reaction from Bran:

1.       “Queen Cersei bedded her brother” [259].

2.      “Small wonder he’s [Joffrey] faithless, with the Kingslayer for a Father” [259].

3.      “the gods hate incest.  Look how they brought down the Targaryens” [260].

Sadly, in three lines, Martin sums up what Bran witnesses from outside the window of the gargoyle guarded tower:  Bran’s vision, sent via the wizardry of the three-eyed crow deliberately after Cley and his knights jolt Bran’s waking memory, is evidence of incest, proof that the Queen and the Kingslayer are guilty as charged, but more importantly, the three-eyed crow imparts to Bran undeniable verification of the identity of the golden knight who causes Bran to fall.

A greenseer must learn to see and to acknowledge what is true, no matter how painful the truth may be.  Bran buries his most unpleasant memory deep in his subconscious, disguising it in darkness, choosing not to acknowledge to himself what he now knows for sure to be true. 

Even after the agony of his nightmare,  Bran is not keen on acceptance; however, Bran denies many truths about himself, something that Jojen Reed learns while educating a reluctant Bran on his powers.  Bran gets angry at Jojen’s talk of Bran as a warg in Summer, and he doesn’t understand how to open his third-eye.  Nor does he share with the Reeds, or anyone else, that the Kingslayer caused his fall.

Jaime’s Punishment

The godhood has punished Jaime already for his pushing Bran:

Jaime Lannister first “saves” Bran, directing him to “TAKE MY HAND!”  Martin’s word choice is appropriate – the forces that are the old gods deliver an apt, karmic-like punishment to Jaime, one in which they do as Jaime directs:  they take his HAND - the same hand that pushes Bran, and the same hand that killed Aerys.

Jaime, along with his sister Cersei, violate the laws of hospitality by committing adultery and fornicating in the broken tower located on the property of their HOST  Lord Eddard Stark of Winterfell.  Jaime also pushes the son of his host from a window, intending to kill him. 

Jaime and Cersei commit treason when they get busy in the tower – and at other times.  But the laws of the old gods are served before the laws of men.

Taking Jaime’s hand is a fate worse than death – he tells Tyrion he would rather die than be a cripple, after he has crippled Bran!  Death is “easy” – it’s living that is hard.

The twins will live to suffer.

Maybe, maybe not, I have a hard time believing in certain things. Martin has gone out of his way to add a horror theme to Bran's journey, it has been there since Bran first spoke of the scary stories. That theme has continued, to the point where we find Bran in a cave of bones taking lessons from an undead dragon of questionable character. His very first lesson with Bloodraven was about death, and Bran would of died had he not flown in his dream and as we saw he flew right above the bodies of all those greenseers, how many of them were people Bloodraven dropped? Makes no difference the symbolism of death and bones is repeated again in the cave when Bran arrives and has to learn to fly once again this time outside of his dreams.

He is told to embrace the darkness, to armor himself in it, which seems a bit strange for Martin. After all Darkness has never been depicted as a good thing in the books, humans don't actually do well in Darkness, the Children can do well they are built for the night, but not humans. Not to mention Martin wrote Dying of the Light. The title of which he based off the famous poem which is the exact opposite of embrace the darkness.

I think Bran makes some grey choices which is par for the course with the series and humans in general, but Bran go dark? I don't think so, I think Bran returns to the light after having to deal with a lot of Darkness.

Archived