Independance Day Trailer

Jace, Extat

That looked pretty good... Like, totally ok kinda good. I love, love, LOVE the original film and I figured this one would suck even though I knew that there was a sequel to the book series. But... hey, it was an exciting trailer and one of my favorite actors was in it. No, not Jeff 'Fly for a White Guy' Goldblum, but William Fichtner.

Here's the trailer.

That looks a lot better than I was expecting; although I really hope the swagger and humor from the first one isn't completely gone. Granted, a lot of that came from having Will Smith at his absolute peak, and even if he was in this one I don't think he'd be able to recapture that. 

I really like that they just went there and made Earth have super advanced technology from studying the last aliens for 20 years. There's tons of movies where the modern-day military is defending Earth and not nearly enough that go future military (or, in this case, alternate reality military). That shot at 1:36 is great, why should only Star Wars have massive space battles?

That looked pretty good... Like, totally ok kinda good. I love, love, LOVE the original film and I figured this one would suck even though I knew that there was a sequel to the book series. But... hey, it was an exciting trailer and one of my favorite actors was in it. No, not Jeff 'Fly for a White Guy' Goldblum, but William Fichtner.

Here's the trailer.

Re-posting my comment from the trailer thread. Also, what book series? I read the original movie's novelization, didn't realize there were sequels.

Ok, first let me express my original thoughts when I heard that this was being made: NO! Or at least NO the way it was clear they were going to make it: Alien invasion 2.0

The line from the trailer "We Always Knew They Would Come Back" is BS. I didn't know that, because it seemed quite clear to me from the original story that the entire alien race that invaded Earth was destroyed. Remember when president Bill Pullman communicates telepathically with that alien and sees what they are: like locusts, moving from planet to planet, consuming all resources. To me this always meant "us or them" scenario - one of the species gets annihilated. Period. Now it could be that these are other aliens, but from what I read online, it doesn't look to be the case.

It will be a big CGI fest, and more rousing speeches, no doubt. The original movie had good special effects for 1996, this one doesn't look like it's got any better than what we've seen in the last 2 years. Plus no Will Smith humor this time.

Of course curiosity and summer boredom will probably get me to the theater anyway.

Why did MGM let themselves convinced by Emmerich to do a Stargate reboot, why, why?

Well, the first film wasn't particularly deep or philisophical.  So I suspect this one to be shallow too.  I do wonder if they will deal with the population crash caused by the initial attack.  I also wonder if they will explain how this species, apparently, exponentially improved it's tech over the same period of time we had ro work with that tech.

It looks good, although it also looks like they're going down the Jurassic World route of basically remaking the first movie's plot except "bigger". That's a little disappointing, although it will probably make them a fuck-ton of money - and maybe we'll get something interesting related to the fact that there were alien survivors on Earth who fought for years in resistance.

I think the original film mostly sucks (I missed it at the time and watched it much later - it's not aged well), but this looks like it could be fun - I like the sense of impending doom.

For me the original goes into the so bad it's good category. Plenty of lol moments. Having the President flying a fighter plane? AWESOME. A homeless looking Randy Quaid leading a fleet of RV's into a full frontal assault? AMAZING. Jeff Goldblum, The Fresh Prince, Brent Spiner and Judd Hirsch all cheesing it up 100%. I think it helped that I saw it with a bunch of friends when it opened on the 4th of July, and my perception of it was helped along by way too many adult beverages. Good times, good times. 

Re-posting my comment from the trailer thread. Also, what book series? I read the original movie's novelization, didn't realize there were sequels.

It's called like the ID4 series or something. I've never actually read it, I just knew it existed.

Sadface that you guys don't seem to hold the original in such nostalgia. But I was just a young Jace when I first saw it in theaters so... yeah.

I'm with you on the original, Jace. Fantastic movie.

Me too.  I remember seeing it the first day with my family and all of us were blown away.

It is still one of those movies that if I flip through the channels and it is on, I stop and watch it.  Love it.

I enjoyed the first movie and will definitely check out the sequel.  

I haven't read any of the books so don't know what direction they went, but i always thought there were a couple of ways they could do sequels to the original.

1. They could have continued with a ground war, assume lots of aliens on the smaller ships survived the destruction of the Mother ship, maybe we didn't get them all.   So fighting over the planet, because now they are stuck here.

2. The second would be the mother ship sent out a call to other ships, saying they found a good planet to reap and more were on the way.  And humans upgraded our military using the alien tech and prepared for the defense.  This appears to be where the sequel is going.

I'm with you on the original, Jace. Fantastic movie.

Me too.  I remember seeing it the first day with my family and all of us were blown away.

It is still one of those movies that if I flip through the channels and it is on, I stop and watch it.  Love it.

I enjoyed the first movie and will definitely check out the sequel.  

I haven't read any of the books so don't know what direction they went, but i always thought there were a couple of ways they could do sequels to the original.

1. They could have continued with a ground war, assume lots of aliens on the smaller ships survived the destruction of the Mother ship, maybe we didn't get them all.   So fighting over the planet, because now they are stuck here.

2. The second would be the mother ship sent out a call to other ships, saying they found a good planet to reap and more were on the way.  And humans upgraded our military using the alien tech and prepared for the defense.  This appears to be where the sequel is going.

:cheers:To the folks that recognize a true popcorn flick.

So in agreement with Leofric, I don't see why it's against belief that the first film was like an expeditionary force moving ahead of the big bad lifeship we see in this one. It takes a LONG TIME for interstellar travel, and in the galactic scale 20 years is a road trip. Not to mention that it's not like the aliens would have already harvested earth's resources in 2 decades. In that Tom Cruise movie for example, the robot had been sucking water out of the ocean for like decades or something... Nikolaj Coster-Waldau was totally hot in it and that's basically all I remember.

Seams reasonable to me that the flotilla finds a planet, subdues it if there's lifeforms, sets up shop, and then the real fleet moves in. Even adds a dimension to the aliens, since in the first film they're literally just locust aliens. Maybe that's because they were just the footsoldiers who were desensitized, and these guys will be the bulk of the fleet on its last leg resource-wise. That'd be cool to me.

:cheers:To the folks that recognize a true popcorn flick.

So in agreement with Leofric, I don't see why it's against belief that the first film was like an expeditionary force moving ahead of the big bad lifeship we see in this one. It takes a LONG TIME for interstellar travel, and in the galactic scale 20 years is a road trip. Not to mention that it's not like the aliens would have already harvested earth's resources in 2 decades. In that Tom Cruise movie for example, the robot had been sucking water out of the ocean for like decades or something... Nikolaj Coster-Waldau was totally hot in it and that's basically all I remember.

Seams reasonable to me that the flotilla finds a planet, subdues it if there's lifeforms, sets up shop, and then the real fleet moves in. Even adds a dimension to the aliens, since in the first film they're literally just locust aliens. Maybe that's because they were just the footsoldiers who were desensitized, and these guys will be the bulk of the fleet on its last leg resource-wise. That'd be cool to me.

Again, I have to mention the locusts comparison. There could be more "locust" swarm out there, but I should think they don't necessarily communicate with each other. But whatever, I'll go watch. Another reason that I want to see it is to gauge Emmerich's current capabilities of directing an epic sci-fi movie, ahead of his Stargate reboot. 

I loved the original movie. I like a movie that says it's about sci fi and explosions and some fake science that won't work, and doesn't take itself seriously. Seen it quite a few times at home and will go see the sequel as well.

But, I also am someone who really liked Battle Los Angeles so who knows about my taste in movies? I think I liked this movie because it was ground level and focused on one group.

Archived