What Happened to Ned's Mother?

Maxxine

Does anyone besides me find it odd that Ned Stark's mother is never mentioned? I don't necessarily think she's going to be some big part of the story, but it's weird that she's never mentioned anywhere. Everyone else's mother is at least accounted (except Jon of course). Catelyn's mother died in childbirth. So did the Lannister mother and Dany's. It seems like every other mother of relevant character is at least mentioned to tell what happened to them except Ned. Ned doesn't even have a passing thought about her, which is weird considering all the stuff that happened in his family. Was she still alive when Rickard and Brandon died? Is she still alive now? How did she feel about the Lyanna/Rhaegar stuff? It's weird to me that none of this comes up anywhere in the series. In the World Book family trees they have her listed as Lyarra Stark and a 2nd cousin of Rickard (but before the World Book came out we didn't even know that much), but that seems to be the only information about her. Where the hell is she and/or what the hell happened to her?

I've seen theories about she on Skagos taking care of Rickon or in Greywater Watch with Howland Reed, but we have absolutely no clues. I personally like the Skagos one just because I like Rickon and want him to have some sort of family around. What does everyone else think?

Does anyone besides me find it odd that Ned Stark's mother is never mentioned? I don't necessarily think she's going to be some big part of the story, but it's weird that she's never mentioned anywhere. Everyone else's mother is at least accounted (except Jon of course). Catelyn's mother died in childbirth. So did the Lannister mother and Dany's. It seems like every other mother of relevant character is at least mentioned to tell what happened to them except Ned. Ned doesn't even have a passing thought about her, which is weird considering all the stuff that happened in his family. Was she still alive when Rickard and Brandon died? Is she still alive now? How did she feel about the Lyanna/Rhaegar stuff? It's weird to me that none of this comes up anywhere in the series. In the World Book family trees they have her listed as Lyarra Stark and a 2nd cousin of Rickard (but before the World Book came out we didn't even know that much), but that seems to be the only information about her. Where the hell is she and/or what the hell happened to her?

I've seen theories about she on Skagos taking care of Rickon or in Greywater Watch with Howland Reed, but we have absolutely no clues. I personally like the Skagos one just because I like Rickon and want him to have some sort of family around. What does everyone else think?

you want the educated guess or crackpot?

Educated guess: She died some time after Benjen was born. She was not alive during the HH and rebellion because we never heard a single word about her at that time-frame. So she had no idea about Lyanna's action. I always feel this is one of the reasons why she had to die early, because if she is still alive, Lyanna would need to spend most of time with her mother so there is less chance for her to elope with Rhaegar, a married man and a father of two. Usually a mother will be more careful and usually a mother would not encourage her daughter to do this. 

Crackpot: She was the woman Bran saw through the tree, praying for a son to revenge. She hated Rickard for some reason. Then she got a son, who is brandon, and Brandon directly caused the death of Rickard. So old gods granted her pray. 

Ned spent his childhood at the Vale, his mother most likely died when he was very young or when he was at the Eyrie so as a consequence has few memories if any memories of her.

It is not that strange. We only know more about his father because of his death but Ned tells us nothing of his personality, of his relationship with his wife, children or vassals.

His father is as much a blank slate as his mother is, the only difference is that the fandom spent years suspecting that she was a Targ, Skagosi, Dayne or some other mysterious House.

Ned spent his childhood at the Vale, his mother most likely died when he was very young or when he was at the Eyrie so as a consequence has few memories if any memories of her.

It is not that strange. We only know more about his father because of his death but Ned tells us nothing of his personality, of his relationship with his wife, children or vassals.

His father is as much a blank slate as his mother is, the only difference is that the fandom spent years suspecting that she was a Targ, Skagosi, Dayne or some other mysterious House.

Is it really not strange to you at all? I'm not saying Ned had to go into great detail about her or that I'm necessarily convinced that she's anything more than dead. But not even a passing thought of at least "my mother died giving birth Benjen" or "died after . . ." He was taken to the Vale at 8 so its not like he was so young that he would have no memories of her. Theon was away for 10 years but still has thoughts about his mother. Dany and Tyrion's mothers died while birthing them so they never met her at all, but they still have passing thoughts about their mothers. This woman was not acknowledged at all in any of the books by anyone like she never existed. It's like Rickard had the babies by himself. At the very least it seems like a detail GRRM forgot to include or completely overlooked.

I have a theory that there is a secret pact between Targaryans and Starks where the Starks may have the firstborn of each generation fathered by a Targaryan.  This reflects what the Starks did to the Blackwoods, only in this case the Targaryans were in a better bargaining position (though they feared Northern magic and wargs, they COULD do a lot of damage), and in this case the Stark parent would be the mother, so they could be sure that the child would not leave their family.

Lyarra Stark hated Rickard for having her lie with Aerys to get Brandon.  She ran away eventually, but came back to try and get Lyanna to run away too before she was impregnated by Rhaegar.

Is it really not strange to you at all? I'm not saying Ned had to go into great detail about her or that I'm necessarily convinced that she's anything more than dead. But not even a passing thought of at least "my mother died giving birth Benjen" or "died after . . ." He was taken to the Vale at 8 so its not like he was so young that he would have no memories of her. Theon was away for 10 years but still has thoughts about his mother. Dany and Tyrion's mothers died while birthing them so they never met her at all, but they still have passing thoughts about their mothers. This woman was not acknowledged at all in any of the books by anyone like she never existed. It's like Rickard had the babies by himself. At the very least it seems like a detail GRRM forgot to include or completely overlooked.

Your not alone, I find it kind of odd as well.  Now, I understand that she's a minor character with little plot to the story, but GRRM is pretty big into Heraldry, giving even the most minor characters at least a *little* backstory.  Heck, even at least mention her once.  Not only is Lyarra Stark completely absent from any mention, she also zero backstory...not even a single blurb in 5+ books.

So yea...it IS rather odd, IMO.  You would think GRRM would at least throw her name out there somewhere, especially considering she's the mother/grandmother to so many main characters in the series (and the fact her husband Rickard played such a huge role in the events as well).

I think she is not important for the story so GRRM did not even remember to write about her. 

In the normal situation, Ned of course should think about his dead mother for at least once. 

Your not alone, I find it kind of odd as well.  Now, I understand that she's a minor character with little plot to the story, but GRRM is pretty big into Heraldry, giving even the most minor characters at least a *little* backstory.  Heck, even at least mention her once.  Not only is Lyarra Stark completely absent from any mention, she also zero backstory...not even a single blurb in 5+ books.

She is mentioned twice;

His father's mother's mother had been a Flint of the mountains. Old Nan once said that it was her blood in him that made Bran such a fool for climbing before his fall. She had died years and years and years before he was born, though, even before his father had been born. -Bran ASOS

and

It was a tale that any northmen knew well. "My father's grandmother was a Flint of the mountains, on his mother's side," Jon told her. "The First Flints, they call themselves. They say the other Flints are the blood of younger sons, who had to leave the mountains to find food and land and wives. It has always been a harsh life up there. When the snows fall and food grows scarce, their young must travel to the winter town or take service at one castle or the other. The old men gather up what strength remains in them and announce that they are going hunting. Some are found come spring. More are never seen again." -JON ADWD

So while we don't get her name, and how many children know think of their grandmothers by their first name?, we do get some information about her. That her mother is a Mountain Clan Flint, that she was older than her husband Rickard and that her House was relatively poor even for a Northern House.

By the same token the books tell us nothing of Rickards mother, we only find out that she is a Locke in the World book.We only know about his death because it was one of the major causes of the huge civil war that is so important to establishing the series.

She is mentioned twice;

His father's mother's mother had been a Flint of the mountains. Old Nan once said that it was her blood in him that made Bran such a fool for climbing before his fall. She had died years and years and years before he was born, though, even before his father had been born. -Bran ASOS

So while we don't get her name, and how many children know think of their grandmothers by their first name?, we do get some information about her. That her mother is a Mountain Clan Flint, that she was older than her husband Rickard and that her House was relatively poor even for a Northern House.

To be honest, I think Bran is talking about Lyrara's mother died before Ned (his father which is Bran's father) was born. 

I do not think this means Lyarra is older than Rickard. 

To be honest, I think Bran is talking about Lyrara's mother died before Ned (his father which is Bran's father) was born. 

I do not think this means Lyarra is older than Rickard. 

Agreed. I believe the person mentioned is Neds grandmother, the fact that she died before Ned was born also proves that this cannot be Lyarra.

Ned was fostered at the Eyrie in 271 AC. Benjen was born in 267 AC. Ned was 4 when Benjen was born so my guess is she died during childbirth or soon after thus Ned has no real memories of her to share with the reader or any reason to either

House Crackpot - We make no sense.

I didn't know Ned's mom was a member too. :P

And it gets bigger and bigger with the passing of the days.

It should also be noted that House Crackpot is closely related to House Targaryen (because every member is a secret Targ), a little to House Dayne (everyone could ended up wielding the Sword of the Morning) and his main patriarch is Howland Reed.

It is somewhat odd that Ned never thinks of her once, even in passing, but in all honesty it's probably just a detail that GRRM neglected to include in Ned's POV in AGOT when he was still fleshing everything out.

I highly, highly doubt that she's still alive and either on Skagos or in Greywater Watch.  My guess is simply that she died shortly after Benjen was born, either in childbirth or in 268/269 AC. 

It is very possible that GRRM just forgot to add a detail about Ned's mother because she's just that unimportant. But that just seems so un-GRRM like. GRRM will give us a backstory to a fisherman's bastard who died of the flux on the side of the road (sarcasm/exaggeration) but forgets to mention what happens to the mother of a main character. Even if he forgot to do it GOT, it takes nothing to tell us this information through Catelyn or one of 3 Stark children plus Jon who have POVs. Catelyn's mother is not important either but we know what happened to her. Neither is Theon's or Arianne's mother but GRRM took the time to tell us what happened/where they are. Like I said I'm not convinced it means anything, but it's a big enough omission for me to wonder.

Archived