Small Questions v. 10104

Rhaenys_Targaryen

There's no way of knowing that.  It seems more likely he would crown whoever was the Lady of the castle was/another Lady married to the most powerful man there.

I agree that it's much more likely, I was just wondering if it's even possible and not scandalous.

If he did, Sansa would know the song. 

If it was one super romantic knight, but if it's not considered remarkable, maybe no songs were made about it (maybe a knight like this would be considered a henpecked husband)

Thank you both for replies!

Martin gave numerous mentions to Robb’s and Dany’s namedays. Dany had her 15th in ACoK. She started out at 13. Robb had his 16th in ACoK. He started out at 14. Jon had his 15th shortly after Benjen went missing in AGot. He started out at 14.  Is there any mention in the books of Jon turning 16 before the end of ADwD?

Martin gave numerous mentions to Robb’s and Dany’s namedays. Dany had her 15th in ACoK. She started out at 13. Robb had his 16th in ACoK. He started out at 14. Jon had his 15th shortly after Benjen went missing in AGot. He started out at 14.  Is there any mention in the books of Jon turning 16 before the end of ADwD?

In ASOS, he mentions Ygritte is 19, and she's 3 years older than he is, so that's an indirect one.

But, Jon will have turned 16 sometime around the start of ASOS.. shortly after Robb. After all, we're told that Jon was born in 283 AC, and we know thatthe year 300 AC began in ASOS :) 

Edit: And he mentions he's a man grown (thus 16 or older) in ADWD, Jon VII

I agree that it's much more likely, I was just wondering if it's even possible and not scandalous.

If it was one super romantic knight, but if it's not considered remarkable, maybe no songs were made about it (maybe a knight like this would be considered a henpecked husband)

Thank you both for replies!

Wish I could help you more.  The only thing that came to mind was that when Rhaegar passed Elia with the crown of beauty, people expected him to give it to his mother and that wouldn't have been weird so I figure it's traditional to either give it to someone your courting, married to, a son of, or a guest of.

Wish I could help you more.  The only thing that came to mind was that when Rhaegar passed Elia with the crown of beauty, people expected him to give it to his mother and that wouldn't have been weird so I figure it's traditional to either give it to someone your courting, married to, a son of, or a guest of.

Nobody expected Rhaegar to give the laurel to his mother? She wasn't even there. He was expected to give it to Elia, but he didn't.

It is Barristan, a Kingsguard sworn to celibacy, who thinks to himself that, had he won, he wouldn't have given it to Elia, or Rhaella (who wasn't present), but to Ashara Dayne instead.

This might be a silly question, but why do so many characters in the story think so highly of Rheagar? Whatever his story was with Lyanna, his actions brought a year of war and so many dead people along. Even if it was out of character for Rheagar, he caused all his family members to die. He also died, and my interpretation is that people thought of him as a good future ruler and leader. Robert was a good lad, but he was a bad king, so he also "deprived" the realm of himself (Rheagar). 

This might be a silly question, but why do so many characters in the story think so highly of Rheagar? Whatever his story was with Lyanna, his actions brought a year of war and so many dead people along. Even if it was out of character for Rheagar, he caused all his family members to die. He also died, and my interpretation is that people thought of him as a good future ruler and leader. Robert was a good lad, but he was a bad king, so he also "deprived" the realm of himself (Rheagar). 

The fact that Ned thinks so highly of him is one of the key arguments for some parts (spin offs, whatever you want to call them) of the R+L theory.

If you ask me, the fact that Dany doesn't seem to care at all about the points you raise is either relevant to the plot or very interesting. I mean, either she knows more than she's actively thought during her PoVs (which is possible - apparently Viserys told her Rhaegar died whispering the name of the woman he loved, so...), or... She's just in denial about her brother/hero.

As for the others, well, awesome knight/generally stand-up dude/would have been a great king/super hot/good with a harp/knew his prophecy (in differing orders) seems to outweigh the rest :)

Where does Ghost run off to so often when Jon is LC? My personal idea (dream) is Ghost is running to visit with Val. It's one of these small, yet weirdly and semi-frequently, mentioned occurrences that always stood out to me.

The fact that Ned thinks so highly of him is one of the key arguments for some parts (spin offs, whatever you want to call them) of the R+L theory.

If you ask me, the fact that Dany doesn't seem to care at all about the points you raise is either relevant to the plot or very interesting. I mean, either she knows more than she's actively thought during her PoVs (which is possible - apparently Viserys told her Rhaegar died whispering the name of the woman he loved, so...), or... She's just in denial about her brother/hero.

As for the others, well, awesome knight/generally stand-up dude/would have been a great king/super hot/good with a harp/knew his prophecy (in differing orders) seems to outweigh the rest :)

So, you believe the good opinion of people of Rheagar is actually due to an undisclosed part of the story? hmmm. very interesting.

Thanks for the reply :)

I think the question has spoilers, so I am putting it as such:

Why do JonCon et al think that Dany would rally to their cause? She had a horrible childhood of much abuse and insecurity, while they were pampering (f/-)Aegon. And now that she has built something out of nothing for herself, why would she want to share it with them?!

Also, why didn't they take in Viserys and Dany as well? If Aegon is fake, that would have made him far more legitimate, and 2more family members were bound to make his cause stronger. If he is not fake, then all the more reason to support his family too.

I think the question has spoilers, so I am putting it as such:

Hidden Content

Nothing spoilerish as far as I can tell, so the answer outside of spoiler tags :)

Why Daenerys would rally to their cause? Because Aegon is the last of her family, as far as they are concerned. 

The World of Ice and Fire reveals to us that Viserys had become Aerys's heir after Rhaegar's death, meaning that Aegon (Rhaegar's heir) was skipped. In that sense, Viserys's claim would have a huge advantage over Aegon's. So if JonCon etc. were to take Viserys and Dany in, it would not be a supportive means for Aegon's claim, but instead, Aegon would have to become supportive of Viserys' claim.. And that was not what they were going for. They trained Aegon to be the king they want him to be, so they want him on the throne.

Varys and Illyrio have been watching Viserys and Daenerys during their years travelling from Free City to Free City, but only when Daenerys had had her first period, and thus, had become a candidate for marriage, did Illyrio get actively involved. Daenerys (Viserys' proclaimed heir) was expected to die amongst the Dothraki, and as far as I can tell, Viserys was supposed to invade the Seven Kingdoms with his Dothraki, an invasion in which he undoubtly would have died one way or another.. leaving only Aegon, who could come to Westeros, 'back from the death', and make all right again.

But instead, Viserys died, and Daenerys survived, hatched dragons, and acquired herself an army.

Why would Daenerys rally to their cause? Well, it's not as if Daenerys spent her entire childhood scared and running.. Those first five years, she was safe and happy, in Braavos with Darry.. And Aegon himself has also learned what hunger, and fear, and all that is like... He knows what it's like to be hunted, according to Varys.. So in that, they are rather similar, the only difference being that for Daenerys, it was a forced situation, whilst for Aegon, it was done with a purpose..

Looking at Daenerys, on one hand, she longs to learn more about her family, and if she were to learn that she had another relative alive, she would be hugely tempted to ally herself with said person... But that doesn't mean that she would be willing to give up all power, all command, and all that. Aegon will stand a chance when he meets her as an equal, but Tyrion was right in stating that, on their way to Volantis, Aegon had very little to offer Dany (while Aegon would have an army like Dany, Dany still had the dragons, after all), and chances would have been that Dany would have refused to give up her power to him.

To be fair, Illyrio has little information about Daenerys from the moment Jorah ceased to sent information (Qarth).. That's a full year during which information concerning Daenerys has been scarce, more rumour than inside info. That, of course, will play a bit of a role, because Daenerys clearly is no longer the same girl she was when she was married off to Drogo. And she shows in both ASOS, and ADWD that she's not simply willing to abandon Meereen, but we can see that neither Illyrio nor Jon Connington is aware of this, as they both fully believe that Daenerys will march again, and cross Volantis in the process. They don't know that Daenerys is reluctant to abandon her people, that she has been warned about a mummer's dragon, that she has been told she will be betrayed trice.

From the point of view of Varys/Illyrio/etc., getting Daenerys on their side would have been important, which is why they went for it. She had the legitimacy, she has the dragons.. and to be honest, the fact that she has an army already does help as well. And Aegon was supposed to await her with the Golden Company, an army of his own.. so he wouldn't be completely unequal to her.. Though I'd call the dragons a good advantage on Daenerys' part.

With weird seasons, how do they count years?

[What is the cycle of a year? Why do they count years when seasons are strange?]

Twelve moon tuns to a year, as on earth. Even on our earth, years have nothing to do with the seasons, or with the cycles of the moon. A year is a measure of a solar cycle, of how long it takes the earth to make one complete revolution around the sun. The same is true for the world of Westeros. Seasons do not come into it.

Are there any examples of corpses being burned after a plague or sickness of some kind? (Think there was something in the World book, but I don't have it to hand) Any examples in the main series?

I believe you are thinking of Bloodraven's burning of those who died during the Great Spring Sickness that killed Daeron II and Baelor's sons.  Bloodraven burned the numerous victims in the dragonpit in King's Landing. 

Are there any examples of corpses being burned after a plague or sickness of some kind? (Think there was something in the World book, but I don't have it to hand) Any examples in the main series?

Yes, Ilyrio says that they burned everyone on the Bravosi trader that carried the plague that killed his wife, but that the rats made it into the city.

Euron: I have sailed the Smoking Sea and seen Valyria.

Rodrik: Have you?

Euron: Reader, you would do well to keep your nose in your books

Does anyone else read Rodriks 'have you?' as actually meaning 'liar liar pants on fire' [emoji6]

I have never read it any other way, especially considering how Euron reacts to Rodrik's remark.

Archived