Small Questions v. 10104

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Whoever he was, he began to preach in the Cobbler's Square, saying that the dragons were demons, the spawn of godless Valyria, and the doom of men. Scores listened—then hundreds, then thousands. Fear begat anger, and anger begat a thirst for blood. And when the Shepherd announced that the city would be saved only when the city was cleansed of dragons, people listened.

Of the history of Valyria as it is known today, many volumes have been written over the centuries, and the details of their conquests, their colonizations, the feuds of the dragonlords, the gods they worshipped, and more could fill libraries and still not be complete. Galendro's The Fires of the Freehold is widely considered the most definitive history, and even there the Citadel lacks twenty-seven of the scrolls.

To this day, no one knows what caused the Doom. Most say that it was a natural cataclysm—a catastrophic explosion caused by the eruption of all Fourteen Flames together. Some septons, less wise, claim that the Valyrians brought the disaster on themselves for their promiscuous belief in a hundred gods and more, and in their godlessness they delved too deep and unleashed the fires of the Seven hells on the Freehold. A handful of maesters, influenced by fragments of the work of Septon Barth, hold that Valyria had used spells to tame the Fourteen Flames for thousands of years, that their ceaseless hunger for slaves and wealth was as much to sustain these spells as to expand their power, and that when at last those spells faltered, the cataclysm became inevitable.

. In Valryia before the Doom, wise men wrote, a thousand gods were honored, but none were feared, so few dared to speak against these customs.

The singers dubbed her the Realm's Delight, for she was bright and precocious—a beautiful child who was already a dragonrider at the age of seven as she flew on the back of her she-dragon Syrax, named for one of the old gods of Valyria.
In 105 AC, her mother finally delivered the son that the king and queen had both longed for, but the queen died in childbirth, and the boy—na

Dozens of such sects flourished in Valyria, sometimes quarreling violently with one another. Inevitably, some found the tolerance of the Freehold to be intolerable and set out into the wilderness to found cities of their own, godly cities where only the "true faith" would be practiced. We have already spoken of the followers of the Blind God Boash who founded Lorath and what befell them there. Qohor was settled by worshippers of that grim deity known only as the Black Goat, as shall be related shortly. But the sect that settled Norvos is as strange, or stranger, than either of these, and far more secretive.

'Like Valyria, their mother, these three daughters have no established faith. Temples and shrines to many different gods line their streets and crowd their waterfronts. '

' Many of the Old Blood of Volantis still keep the old gods of Valyria, but their faith is found primarily within the Black Walls. Without, the red god R'hllor is favored by many, especially among the slaves and freedmen of the city. The Temple of the Lord of Light in Volantis is said to be the greatest in all the world; in Remnants of the Dragonlords, Archmaester Gramyon claims that it is fully three times larger than the Great Sept of Baelor. All who serve within this mighty temple are slaves, bought as children and trained to become priests, temple prostitutes, or warriors; these wear the flames of their fiery god as tattoos upon their faces. Of the warriors, little enough is said, though they are called the Fiery Hand, and they never number more or less than one thousand members. '

About Rossart:

Do we know anything about his reasons to follow the Mad King's final orders to turn the capital and its inhabitants to ashes? That would have meant his own death as well, wouldn't it? His previous deeds are understandable, as he was a very power-hungry pyromancer and everything, but what would he gain from following the suicidal order of a practically already fallen king? Was he mad as well, and so obsessed with wildfire that it did not matter for him that he will die together with everyone else? Or what? The only other thing I can think about is that he thought that his fate was already sealed, and the rebels will kill him anyway, but that is still not a good reason for comitting mass homicide. Is it mentioned anywhere that he was mad?

2 hours ago, Biter the Gallant said:

About Rossart:

Do we know anything about his reasons to follow the Mad King's final orders to turn the capital and its inhabitants to ashes? That would have meant his own death as well, wouldn't it? His previous deeds are understandable, as he was a very power-hungry pyromancer and everything, but what would he gain from following the suicidal order of a practically already fallen king? Was he mad as well, and so obsessed with wildfire that it did not matter for him that he will die together with everyone else? Or what? The only other thing I can think about is that he thought that his fate was already sealed, and the rebels will kill him anyway, but that is still not a good reason for comitting mass homicide. Is it mentioned anywhere that he was mad?

It's possible he knew a passageway out of the city.

1 hour ago, Visenya the Dragon said:

I was wondering if Uthor Underleaf, from the dunk and egg story could be Littlefinger's great grandfather? 

How about Roose's...

A while back I noticed that Uthor's lips glistened when he smiled. That made me think of Roose and Ramsey. All three have close set eyes, although I didn't see a description of the color of Uthor's. All three have the same nondescript but fleshy body type too. Uthor's lack of honor in the pursuit of gold reminded me of Roose's in the pursuit of power. Maybe I'm just seeing patterns where none really exist?

And Uthor's sigil was a snail, kinda like a leech, no? There was hippocras at the table where Dunk and Uthor were drinking during the feast before the joust--that's Roose's favorite. 

Here I go again with my small questions. 

In Clash, when Arya and company or at the little village that's burning, Yoren now dead, just after she throws the axe into the prisoner wagon to free Jaquen and Rorge and Biter... She has an odd experience that somewhat reflects what Bran had happen to him when he emerged from the crypts after Winterfell was burned. What is going on???

Arya rolled headfirst into the tunnel and dropped five feet. She got dirt in her mouth but she didn't care, the taste was fine, the taste was mud and water and worms and life. Under the earth the air was cool and dark. Above was nothing but blood and roaring red and choking smoke and the screams of dying horses. She moved her belt around so Needle would not be in her way, and began to crawl. A dozen feet down the tunnel she heard the sound, like the roar of some monstrous beast, and a cloud of hot smoke and black dust came billowing up behind her, smelling of hell. Arya held her breath and kissed the mud on the floor of the tunnel and cried. For whom, she could not say.

2 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

How about Roose's...

A while back I noticed that Uthor's lips glistened when he smiled. That made me think of Roose and Ramsey. All three have close set eyes, although I didn't see a description of the color of Uthor's. All three have the same nondescript but fleshy body type too. Uthor's lack of honor in the pursuit of gold reminded me of Roose's in the pursuit of power. Maybe I'm just seeing patterns where none really exist?

And Uthor's sigil was a snail, kinda like a leech, no? There was hippocras at the table where Dunk and Uthor were drinking during the feast before the joust--that's Roose's favorite. 

Never thought of Roose.I will have to look into that.  He is slimy too. I know Uthor liked to wager on jousting and so does Littlefinger. There are more connections I found. Just not sure if that is supposed to be in spoiler tags or not. 

3 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Here I go again with my small questions. 

In Clash, when Arya and company or at the little village that's burning, Yoren now dead, just after she throws the axe into the prisoner wagon to free Jaquen and Rorge and Biter... She has an odd experience that somewhat reflects what Bran had happen to him when he emerged from the crypts after Winterfell was burned. What is going on???

Arya rolled headfirst into the tunnel and dropped five feet. She got dirt in her mouth but she didn't care, the taste was fine, the taste was mud and water and worms and life. Under the earth the air was cool and dark. Above was nothing but blood and roaring red and choking smoke and the screams of dying horses. She moved her belt around so Needle would not be in her way, and began to crawl. A dozen feet down the tunnel she heard the sound, like the roar of some monstrous beast, and a cloud of hot smoke and black dust came billowing up behind her, smelling of hell. Arya held her breath and kissed the mud on the floor of the tunnel and cried. For whom, she could not say.

Perhaps she woke a dragon? Perhaps it was the ghost of Vhagar or Caraxes. Perhaps the author just wanted to plant that thought in our heads. Perhaps it was an explosion back in the barn. 

1 hour ago, Visenya the Dragon said:

Never thought of Roose.I will have to look into that.  He is slimy too. I know Uthor liked to wager on jousting and so does Littlefinger. There are more connections I found. Just not sure if that is supposed to be in spoiler tags or not. 

Spoilers are only necessary when discussing stuff from Winds. 

Archived