Vikings VIII: 20 episodes under the sea [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

I enjoyed some of the episode.

What is Ragnar doing with those rats in his Cabin of Solitude?  There were several caged rats - how do they survive if Ragnar only goes there occasionally?  I could not tell, when Ragnar was holding that one rat close to his face, whether he had affection for the critter or was about to eat it alive.  (and were the critters rats or weasels or ferrets - the lighting was dim)  

I'm still not sure why Aslaug made sure that an attractive, exotic young woman would be placed under Ragnar's eyes when she chose to take the slave girl into her service.  Now she's even pushed Ragnar to have an affair with the girl.  Is Aslaug trying to distract Ragnar from some plot of her own?  I would think she wouldn't want to assist in the spawning of any more future rivals to her own sons.

I enjoyed Rollo and Gisla's union; but felt very short-changed in that there was a very abrupt transition from Gisla's utter contempt and hatred for Rollo to her ecstatic acceptance of him: a minute or two between 'let's get the divorce going' and 'oh wow, you speak our language; but have you really left your Viking traditions behind' and then the passionate consummation.  Especially since last episode, Rollo injured or  killed his language tutor - suddenly he speaks good Frankish or Latin?  

I felt very sorry for the bear last episode.  He was more or less just standing there and Bjorn slaughtered him so he could get a bearskin and boast and feel all manly...:angry:

16 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Since it went up way before 20 screens in this one, it didn't seem serious -- just a way not to highjack this one with the silly you felt compelled to share.

So I kept posting here until there's a new one up that actually discusses the show.

Yeah, that was what we have been doing in the other ninth thread, after we were done joking. 

42 minutes ago, MisterOJ said:

Isn't board etiquette generally to let the current thread fill up (which means when it hits 21 pages) before starting a new one?

400 posts is the threshold for threadlock/time to start a new one. 

46 minutes ago, Raksha 2014 said:

I enjoyed some of the episode.

What is Ragnar doing with those rats in his Cabin of Solitude?  There were several caged rats - how do they survive if Ragnar only goes there occasionally?  I could not tell, when Ragnar was holding that one rat close to his face, whether he had affection for the critter or was about to eat it alive.  (and were the critters rats or weasels or ferrets - the lighting was dim)  

I'm still not sure why Aslaug made sure that an attractive, exotic young woman would be placed under Ragnar's eyes when she chose to take the slave girl into her service.  Now she's even pushed Ragnar to have an affair with the girl.  Is Aslaug trying to distract Ragnar from some plot of her own?  I would think she wouldn't want to assist in the spawning of any more future rivals to her own sons.

I enjoyed Rollo and Gisla's union; but felt very short-changed in that there was a very abrupt transition from Gisla's utter contempt and hatred for Rollo to her ecstatic acceptance of him: a minute or two between 'let's get the divorce going' and 'oh wow, you speak our language; but have you really left your Viking traditions behind' and then the passionate consummation.  Especially since last episode, Rollo injured or  killed his language tutor - suddenly he speaks good Frankish or Latin?  

I felt very sorry for the bear last episode.  He was more or less just standing there and Bjorn slaughtered him so he could get a bearskin and boast and feel all manly...:angry:

The Paris arc is just bad. Really bad.

6 hours ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

The Paris arc is just bad. Really bad.

Don't think Aslaug put the asian slave directly under Ragnar's eye.. She took her for her own.

However, as much as I regret to say so, Aslaug isn't stupid, and she's surely gotten an idea of the attraction by Ragnar to what isn't the usual. 

That was pretty interesting though, series-wise, to watch Aslaug watching from behind the screens Kattegatt Hall behaviors and interactions, which so far was always Ragnar watching,

On 3/7/2016 at 2:37 PM, Veltigar said:

I think a lot will depend on the actors playing Ragnar's other sons. I have faith in Ludwig, but his character is more limited than Ragnar I think. However, between Ivar, Ubbe, Sigurd, Hvitserk (and possibly halfdane), there is a lot of room for a lot of larger than life characters and interaction like we have never seen before. I think it will be particularly important to cast the right Ivarr, since I believe he'll be the most Ragnaresque of the brothers :) 

Seeing as how the show is based on the sagas, Bernard Cornwell did a reasonably good job of bringing the sons of Ragnar Lothbrok to life in his Saxon series. Ubba was the one to be feared, but Ivar was pretty nasty too.

In truth people of oral societies, as opposed to literacy societies, learn languages at lot easier and faster, because they have to listen and remember what they hear.  So once Rollo understood he had to have French he started listening, and got it. Also, total immersion can do wonders, as anyone who has worked to acquire a new language in a situation where one's own language isn't spoken much or at all.  That's why like a terrible twos child he upended the priest who was trying to teach him literally from the book.  But this should have been shown -- it wouldn't have taken long, and it's interesting in itself, and interesting as dimensions of character development.  Also 

As for our Asian slave, she was captured in Frankia -- not sold in the North.  What was wrong with her story is she said she wasn't raped by anybody on that ridiculously long trip in terms of her eventual sale in Frankia -- or at least in Charlemagne's Brussels or whatever it was called then -- for they didn't dare?  WTF?  She doesn't tell us why they didn't dare to rape.  If they didn't dare rape her they wouldn't have dared to sell her either.

The snake Ragnar eats is a psychotropic drug hallucination. Probably a grass snake, which is common in Scandinavia. But what is a python doing in the middle of winter in Norway and crawling around? In any case, Scandinavia isn't rich in snakes, and big big big ones don't exist there. (But maybe it came in the same slave cargo ship as slaves from Asia and Ragnar liberated it too from Franki?) Sheesh, Hirst,  Snakes that would be torpid / dead and bears that would be hibernating.  Learn some natural history.

O frackin' my!

I liked him in that single season vampire thing set in the new age of electricity.   Though I liked others in it better.  The scripts - narrative not so much. Sigh.  It was so easy to have done it better than depending on corsets. Especially since Ripper was doing the corset dependency also at the same time, and it rolled much faster.

Archived