One of the Seven Wonders of the World returning?

The Marquis de Leech

Seems there's an idea to restore the Colossus of Rhodes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/greece/12067713/Colossus-of-Rhodes-one-of-the-seven-wonders-of-the-ancient-world-to-return.html#_ga=1.172417963.902850952.1432857707

Which raises the question of proofing this incarnation of the Colossus against earthquakes, as well as whether there'll be attempts to restore the other lost Wonders.

I hope they actually do this.

That project more than pays for itself in the long run from increases in tourist revenue, I'd bet on it. Sailboat trip into Rhodes would join many bucket lists.

As for the other lost wonders, why not re create them? I've heard of worse uses of our time and resources.

Seems there's an idea to restore the Colossus of Rhodes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/greece/12067713/Colossus-of-Rhodes-one-of-the-seven-wonders-of-the-ancient-world-to-return.html#_ga=1.172417963.902850952.1432857707

Which raises the question of proofing this incarnation of the Colossus against earthquakes, as well as whether there'll be attempts to restore the other lost Wonders.

It's not really a restoration if it's not going to be anything like the original in size and posture is it?

This is the first time I hear about it. :huh:

Fun fact: In 1987, a Dutch psychic claimed that she saw "in a vision" where exactly the Colossus of Rhodes could be found. And who fell for that, you might ask? Well, they were, in order: the mayor of Rhodes, the Minister of Shipping (summoned by said mayor), and the media (summoned by said Minister). Now, the Minister of Culture (Melina Mercouri back then) and every single archeologist in the country did not fall for it at all. They were, in fact, livid.

And I kid you not,  the Minister of Shipping sent divers to follow the psychic's instructions and retrieve "an artifact" from the deep, excluding archeologists from the operation. Then they had a big press conference, announcing that the right fist of the Colossus had "probably" been found. Cameras, photographs, international headlines, huge hubbab. Then they delivered the object to the (still livid) archeologists.

Rhodes_Kolossos_Grothia2.jpg

In a second press conference, a very pissed off Mercouri had to explain that the object had nothing to do with the famous statue, and in fact wasn't ancient at all. And an archeologist had to dryly specify that the object was modern, had been previously on land, and had obvious marks "from a bulldozer's blade". (Giving it the shape that made gullible people think of fingers and knuckles.) Silence in the conference room, and cue the biggest flood of international headlines using the phrase "colossal blunder". It was hilarious.

Archived