Anyone else rooting for Littlefinger?

PCK

HBO is airing mini Game Of Thrones marathons this weekend. Season 1 was on last night, season 2 is on right now. Something Littlefinger said on the series struck me and made me look at the overview in a new light. His quote about loving Cat and losing the duel to Ned's brother was: "That's their system, their rules. I don't want to play by their rules. I'm going to fuck them." I think he is right in general. The feudal system was very flawed and quite injust. The high lords care nothing about the common people, only how much power they can attain. None of them even have a nationalistic sense of pride. For the most part, loyalty is based on who gives which house the best chance for advancement. Their system deserves to be turned on its axis. Arranged marriages made for convenience, instead of love are another staple of the feudal system. I'm now rooting for Littlefinger to cause as much chaos as possible. At times, it seems like he's the only one with any common sense. He's already saddled the kingdom with massive debt and helped murder a king. What else can he do before it's all over? 

HBO is airing mini Game Of Thrones marathons this weekend. Season 1 was on last night, season 2 is on right now. Something Littlefinger said on the series struck me and made me look at the overview in a new light. His quote about loving Cat and losing the duel to Ned's brother was: "That's their system, their rules. I don't want to play by their rules. I'm going to fuck them." I think he is right in general. The feudal system was very flawed and quite injust. The high lords care nothing about the common people, only how much power they can attain.

And Littlefinger differs how?

None of them even have a nationalistic sense of pride. For the most part, loyalty is based on who gives which house the best chance for advancement.

And Littlefinger differs how?

Their system deserves to be turned on its axis. Arranged marriages made for convenience, instead of love are another staple of the feudal system. I'm now rooting for Littlefinger to cause as much chaos as possible. At times, it seems like he's the only one with any common sense. He's already saddled the kingdom with massive debt and helped murder a king.

And massive debt is good why?

LF isn't doing what he does because he wants to break the system. He's doing it because he hates what the system has done to him, and he wants to use it to get rid of those he doesn't like and put himself on the top. He is, in fact, playing a lot by their rules.

Also, Westeros was having a relative peace before war started, and it was due to LF mostly that such war started. LF's actions have damaged mostly the common folks, mostly Lords (except those he disliked) are ok and might survive.

LF cashes from the system, literally. He's also in charge of very exploitative brothels and cares little for people who are indeed at the low of their system.

In any case, I want him to be on the highest possible position only to see how he falls.

I do enjoy Littlefinger as a character but ultimately think that when he does rise to power, he wall fall almost instantly. It would be the logical direction in the story overall, seeing as there are so many over arching plotlines and to put so much stock into one (and lets face it, most people aren't even aware of the impact Littlefinger has on the plot, he is simply an amazing background character orchestrated by GRRM to neatly fit in to this epic and does so brilliantly but only the most devote fans really understand this work of art as it is) would go against how this story with its massive scale has been told so far.

One interesting thing I have heard, I don't remember where but is a fun possiblity for Littefingers demise,

is that he eventually is split in half vertically by Gregor Clegane (Ser Robert Strong)! Not sure where this could of been leaked but most certainly would of been something GRRM told D&D about in a meeting or something. Epic if true.

I am rooting for him to get to the point where his plans have almost succeeded, and he is at the top of the world.  And then Sansa, in revenge for all he has done to her, her family, her best friend, and others she cares about, wrecks his plans and watches his fall into ruin with glee.

At this point I want Sansa to learn from Littlefinger as much as possible, then kill him off, then apply her experience and newly acquired skills to further House Stark's cause in the future as the ultimate "fuck you" to Lord Baelish.

As much as people despise LF, there is a reason he is now Lord Paramount of the Trident and Lord Protector of the Vale and has Sansa, potential heir to the North, at his side. There are lots of useful lessons Sansa can learn even from him.

Yes, I'm rooting for him but not for the reasons stated in the OP. Here are my reasons:

1. He is a great and interesting and quite funny character.

2. I love all the schemes and intrigues.

3. I want to see how far he can get with all the "chaos is a ladder" thing.

4. A lot of people here seem to strongly dislike him so I'm looking forward to the meltdowns his future story and potential success can cause. ;)

( 5. I also hope that he will not die eventually because he's one of my favorite characters and because that'd be too easy. I'd prefer stripping him of all his lands, possession and titles and let him live.)

In a way...  He's a character I enjoy reading about (though the alayne chapters were frankly, quite gross).  I would be happy for him to taste triumph... Only to have his pupil turn on him and put him back down where he started from... Or lower.

The thing I like most about LF is that he does seem to genuinely believe that Sansa will stay loyal to him no matter what, and that eventually they'll live happily ever after together which given a guy that generally is pretty smart, is shockingly naive.  There seems to still be a part of him that's still the naive boy who got cut nearly in half by Brandon.  I find the "revenge" part to be less interesting. 

HBO is airing mini Game Of Thrones marathons this weekend. Season 1 was on last night, season 2 is on right now. Something Littlefinger said on the series struck me and made me look at the overview in a new light. His quote about loving Cat and losing the duel to Ned's brother was: "That's their system, their rules. I don't want to play by their rules. I'm going to fuck them." I think he is right in general. The feudal system was very flawed and quite injust. The high lords care nothing about the common people, only how much power they can attain. None of them even have a nationalistic sense of pride.

The part in bold is one of the few good things about that feudal system.

I root for him in kind of the same way i root for every character. When i first started reading asoiaf i loved the starks and hated the lannisters. By the time i got to Storm i realized i was starting to like characters i had hated and started hating people i liked. So now when i read the books i look past the likes and dislikes and try to see what motivates them and what cause/effect the characters have on the story or on other characters. With that said i do think LF is a manipulative snake but i like him at the same time because he has played such a big role in the story as a whole. LF is the perfect character to hate and this is why i love him.

I'm going to have to disagree on the idea that there's no sense of nationalism.  A decent portion of the North seems to have a strong sense of nationalism.  Iron Islands and Dorne arguably do as well.  And you have smaller fledgling nations, like the pride of Nimble Dick.  Obviously none of this is to the extent, or a direct parallel, of 19th and 20th century nationalism we saw in much of the real world, and the Conquest rather put a stop to it, but it's there.  

Anyway, I'd take feudalism over anarchy.  One can hope that better situations will arise from anarchy, sure, but they normally don't.  Either way, Littlefinger is murdering people and helping along wars not because of any overarching selfless goals, so I'm not rooting for him on any personal level.  In terms of hoping he succeeds because his goals might be conducive to a better world, nah, because I doubt the Seven Kingdoms will be notably better off at the end of the series compared to the start.  At any rate, I doubt it'll be worth the cost.  

He's an interesting character that's good to read about, though.  

I have sympathy for LF for what happened.  I think an overlooked little point that would have hurt just as much if not more than anything else is that his best friend Edmure actually squired for Brandon, he really didn't have to do that and it is something that seems out of character from everything else we have seen from Edmure.  Lysa also lied to him to the point that he seems to honestly think he had Cats maidenhead.

That being said he is responsible for so much innocent death that no, there is no way I could root for him to actually end up on top.  I can only root for people I believe have good intentions.  Making mistakes while tragic can be forgiven imo, the intent matters a lot to me.

Edit: Given how few Tullys there were, and that Hoster was old it also doesn't seem like it would have been all that difficult to kill off Hoster and Edmure, and since Brandon died a pretty gruesome death, he would have had his revenge.

I have sympathy for LF for what happened.  I think an overlooked little point that would have hurt just as much if not more than anything else is that his best friend Edmure actually squired for Brandon, he really didn't have to do that and it is something that seems out of character from everything else we have seen from Edmure.

Was Edmure his best friend? I don't recall them being particularly close.

I don't know/think it's ever stated that they were best friends but given the age and nature of relationships LF had with everyone else at the castle I find it hard to believe they weren't friends.  I tend to think of it as Robb and Theon without the whole hostage thing.  I'm not sure who else would have been his best friend, so I used the term best.  We were never told of another teenage boy at the castle.

None of them even have a nationalistic sense of pride.

The part in bold is one of the few good things about that feudal system.

Not entirely accurate. Dornish people do seem to have a sense of pride for Dorne. Quentyn and Arianne talk about "Dorne" as a unity, not about the Martells.

I'd say there is a bit of this in the North too: they seem to see themselves as something apart from the South, with different believes and customs.

I don't know/think it's ever stated that they were best friends but given the age and nature of relationships LF had with everyone else at the castle I find it hard to believe they weren't friends.  I tend to think of it as Robb and Theon without the whole hostage thing.  I'm not sure who else would have been his best friend, so I used the term best.  We were never told of another teenage boy at the castle.

Edmure remembers Petyr at one moment when he's talking with Jaime and Petyr was hurt when Edmure squired for Brandon when they duelled. I think they were very close without being "best friends".

Archived