Anyone else rooting for Littlefinger?

PCK

If he really only was someone who from a lower level of society grew by his own merits to this higher level, I would root for him. 

But... 

LF is a psychopath. While he might not enjoy torturing like Ramsay, he has completely no regard for human life and human dignity. A large part of his wealth is based on corruption and actions which would be considered to us as human trafficking  (of children) for the sex industry. I need to have a war for my own goals ... let start a war. I do not need you anymore, I threw you out of the moon door, .... Does he really care about anyone except for himself? I do not believe he really does. 

So there is no way I can root for him. 

However, while he might be a creepy psychopath, he is in one way still interesting to read about. 

LF isn't doing what he does because he wants to break the system. He's doing it because he hates what the system has done to him, and he wants to use it to get rid of those he doesn't like and put himself on the top. He is, in fact, playing a lot by their rules.

Also, Westeros was having a relative peace before war started, and it was due to LF mostly that such war started. LF's actions have damaged mostly the common folks, mostly Lords (except those he disliked) are ok and might survive.

LF cashes from the system, literally. He's also in charge of very exploitative brothels and cares little for people who are indeed at the low of their system.

In any case, I want him to be on the highest possible position only to see how he falls.

pretty much this.

I stopped rooting for Littlefinger the moment he point a dagger to Ned's neck.

The feudal system wasn't perfect but it was better than anarchy. Removing it would lead to the strong praying on the weak, bandits, pirates and raiders would take what they wanted from those would had no protection.

The feudal system needs to evolve into a better system, not be destroyed.

Jeyne would of been better off in the care of Varys(her life would be less hellish with Vary then with LF).

Her mouth would be sewed shut or something. Varys' little birds don't have an ideal life.

Petyr did mistreat Jeyne, but it's better then letting Cersei chop her head off.

I like Littlefinger. He's smart as hell, arriving with a small post and then increase the realms income exponentially making himself needed and waited for his time to strike in Kingslanding.

His ability to throw Lannister vs Stark at each other shows great hindsight, as his bloodless conquest of the Vale, and this mysterious war of 3 queens.

The story of the duel for Cat appeals to my romantic side, and my fuck the world side. I feel sadness that Petyr had to break his promise to Cat, but alas if he backed Ned's plan like he was asked to, he'd be a dead man by Stannis.

I see Littlefinger losing though. His two main flaws are Tyrion and Sansa. (The same two who are giving him his rapid rise) 

Tyrion is his enemy, as Petyr attacked Tyrion through his schemes, he further dismisses him as the cause for Sansas widowhood,  but Tyrion plans on living and Lannisters pay their debts.

Sansa is being trained to think like Petyr, he even reviews some of his schemes with her. By teaching his potential enemy his mind, she'll be sure to have the advantage. Sansa will be an enemy. She already heard of her uncles murder and witnessed her aunt. It's only a matter of time before she hears of Petyrs role in her friend Jeyne and her father Ned.

Her mouth would be sewed shut or something. Varys' little birds don't have an ideal life.

Varys knows the worth of a good hostage. He definitely provided for Gendry and likely has kept Tyrek Lannister safe. In the worst case situation, he would have sent Jeyne to be a maid.

Petyr did mistreat Jeyne, but it's better then letting Cersei chop her head off.

Jeyne has been trained to be a prostitute. This was before any plan of making her "Fake Arya" was conceived. She was beaten to break her and raped every night to be trained. Being executed with the rest of her family would have been less cruel.

Varys knows the worth of a good hostage. He definitely provided for Gendry and likely has kept Tyrek Lannister safe. In the worst case situation, he would have sent Jeyne to be a maid.

Gendry provided for himself, he was a talented apprentice and was appreciated by his master. Varys forced him to escape, which was nice, but before he used him as a pawn for Jon Stannis and Ned.

I still think the worst would be a bird, Varys has lots of them. And Poole is an orphan of a real minor house, not the son of a king or potential heir to the West.

Jeyne has been trained to be a prostitute. This was before any plan of making her "Fake Arya" was conceived. She was beaten to break her and raped every night to be trained.

We don't know when Jeyne was trained, nor the amount of beatings. But regardless, she suffered a fate akin to the girls of Slavery Bay.

Being executed with the rest of her family would have been less cruel.

I strongly disagree. As Tyrion said life is full of posobilites, death is final.

I'm not sure I agree with your image of HL. Of course he's cruel. He's as cruel as he's been treated.

Have you read any ambition from him? Lands, riches, women? He works only for hate and vengeance, and he does it very cleverly.

The series' LF is a cartoon.

How has he been cruelly treated?

A woman wasn't romantically interested in him so he had sex with her sister, got her pregnant, and the father of the family sent him back home.  Bear in mind he had no actual romantic interest in the sister anyway.  Oh woe is him, how awful.  Like. . .what?  

A woman wasn't romantically interested in him so he had sex with her sister, got her pregnant, and the father of the family sent him back home.  Bear in mind he had no actual romantic interest in the sister anyway.  Oh woe is him, how awful.  Like. . .what?  

I agree, but I guess we could stretch it a bit and say he was cruelly treated by the "society", as in he could have probably been able to marry Cat if Cat hadn't been "destined" for a more important man due to her status (if Cat had loved him back, of course. As far as we know, she didn't).

But in any case, he still is a very privileged boy who had the chance to being raised with highborns who loved him as a brother, receiving pretty much the same education a future lord was having. He was also born into nobility, even if minor, and he had opportunities that mostly of the people in Westeros could never dream to have.

He got his child aborted, his love giving his nemesis her favor, and his bestfriend acting as his squire. 

I think Littlefinger's life was more depressing them most noble kids

As of book five, LF to me is the slimy, sneaky, smart guy that knows how to work the system. He has his charm, for sure. Excellent at manipulation. When Sansa has him flying out the moondoor with his sad questioning innocent why eyes, I am going to say "Yesssssss!"  I will miss him though.

He got his child aborted, his love giving his nemesis her favor, and his bestfriend acting as his squire. 

I think Littlefinger's life was more depressing them most noble kids

He showed absolutely no interest in his child.  If he were upset by that - yes, then that would be a very, very horrible thing, I agree.  But I don't see anything to suggest that at all, and in my view it'd be entirely against his character.  Maybe that character only developed because of the incident but I doubt it.

You aren't being cruelly treated if the girl you like doesn't like you back.  Cat was well within her rights to offer her favour to the man she wanted to marry rather than the man she didn't after he forced a confrontation.  How is it cruel?  Littlefinger should have avoided the situation in the first place by realising that nobody owed him romantic love and doing his best to move on.  We have no evidence as to any relationship between Edmure and Littlefinger, I don't recall him even mentioning Edmure once despite talking about both Lysa and Cat a bunch, so calling him his "best friend" seems exceedingly questionable.  

You're absolutely right to characterise the incident as depressing.  But just because something sucks doesn't mean it's cruel - again, no person owes anyone else romantic feelings.  Besides, the person who orchestrated the whole event was Littlefinger himself.  

Either way, LF is an interesting character, so far his character hasn't changed much, only our perspective of him has changed, a POV chapter from him would change our opinions again no doubt (but that might make one too many perspectives in the series, and its probably more interesting to speculate what he might be thinking, rather than to know). I don't mind him, but want to see him be shaped by something that happens in the present time (not the past) and of course I want Sansa to learn some tricks off of him, much in the same way that Arya is learning on the other side of the sea.

He's a plot device more than he's a three-dimensional character with believable motivation. He's there to get the story going and to keep it going, which is why he's loaded with plot gifts, never fails. I think he'll stay around till his purpose is done, then I think he'll go down, fast. I wouldn't look for depth there, though.

He showed absolutely no interest in his child.  If he were upset by that - yes, then that would be a very, very horrible thing, I agree.  But I don't see anything to suggest that at all, and in my view it'd be entirely against his character.  Maybe that character only developed because of the incident but I doubt it.

How could it not upset him? Even if losing Cat overshadows it, his son was aborted by his fosterfather so Lysa can marry an old man for politics. I'm sure this incident was detrimental for his character development. 

You aren't being cruelly treated if the girl you like doesn't like you back.  Cat was well within her rights to offer her favour to the man she wanted to marry rather than the man she didn't after he forced a confrontation.  How is it cruel? 

Well, I'm not trying to get into a degrassi high argument, but she kissed him, and danced with him and stuff. She could've given no one her favor, giving it to Brandon was pretty cruel, he already won.

Littlefinger should have avoided the situation in the first place by realising that nobody owed him romantic love and doing his best to move on.  We have no evidence as to any relationship between Edmure and Littlefinger, I don't recall him even mentioning Edmure once despite talking about both Lysa and Cat a bunch, so calling him his "best friend" seems exceedingly questionable.  

He should have realized that fate was against him, but I remember being a teenager in love. What if Romeo gave up once he found out Juliets family?

Yea, Edmure named him Littlefinger, and Petyr had no other friends. There's a few quotes of their old friendship. Here's one

"This was my father's solar," said Tully. "He ruled the riverlands from here, wisely and well. He liked to sit beside that window. The light was good there, and whenever he looked up from his work he could see the river. When his eyes were tired he would have Cat read to him. Littlefinger and I built a castle out of wooden blocks once, there beside the door. You will never know how sick it makes me to see you in this room, Kingslayer. You will never know how much I despise you."

You're absolutely right to characterise the incident as depressing.  But just because something sucks doesn't mean it's cruel - again, no person owes anyone else romantic feelings.  Besides, the person who orchestrated the whole event was Littlefinger himself.  

Cat was also a teenager. Although she was cruel, blaming fate or Littlefinger is just as productive, as both girls and Petyr went threw this sucky thing. However I blame Hoster for thinking cruel and rational 

I enjoy Littlefinger's character in the books and tv show although they are very different.  The book LF is much smarter than the show gives him credit for.  I think the actor does a great job and it is how his parts are written, not acted, that is the problem.  When the Vale storyline after Lysa's death went where it did, I was watching, yelling at my tv...  "LF would never be this stupid!!!"  "LF would have prepared Sansa for her interrogation, not left it to her like that"  That whole scene was just ridiculous and does not fit with LF's character.  LF leaving Sansa alone with Ramsey Bolton at this crucial point in time?   No way would LF do that.  The show does not portray him as the intelligent, forward thinking mastermind that he, is which is very disappointing.  BookLF has a hand in most major events happening in Westeros and ShowLF is shown as an uncomplicated slimeball.

Correction Lysa raped him on several occasions. Its not like he when to her for revenge sex after losing to Brandon.

I am rooting both against him and for him.

I am rooting against him because he had so much success with his gambling and I would like to see him fail, some of his risk taking behavior currently and previously to come back to hunt him, and I also despise his evil actions against others, especially against characters I identify with, and like.

I am rooting for him because he is still climbing the ladder, and I like learning about his plots, I enjoy how smart he is and how he outsmarts people and would like to see how high he can reach.

It is mostly the first (rooting against him) but some of the later, I want him to go even higher before falling.

Also, I completely don't buy those arguments about LF being a revolution against the feudal system. He was hurt by it, but he has harmed a lot of people, a lot more than he was harmed. And I don't really see his actions really helping relax the problems associated with the feudal system or arranged marriages.

We don't know when Jeyne was trained, nor the amount of beatings. But regardless, she suffered a fate akin to the girls of Slavery Bay.

Horrific enough that she knows and willing how to do beastiality, just because the girls in slavery bay suffer the same thing doesn't make it ok for LF to do that. That doesn't excuse his heartlessness and cruelty to Jeyne

Archived