Football : The end of the year as we know it

kairparavel

Mark Hughes isn't a bad suggestion for United - he seems to have done a good job at Stoke in 2.5 seasons there, which is enough time to show that he can make a team himself rather than just improve on one that Pulis organised for him. He also has the United history and pedigree. That being said, player management at Stoke is probably a lot easier.

In any case, Woodward and co will be adamant on hiring a proven, world-class manager, which Hughes is not, so his chances are virtually nil. That being said, despite Guardiola and Mourinho lurking around, there aren't that many other big-name managers around who might be amenable to taking on the job, especially with Ancelotti now going to Bayern.

Mark Hughes isn't a bad suggestion for United - he seems to have done a good job at Stoke in 2.5 seasons there, which is enough time to show that he can make a team himself rather than just improve on one that Pulis organised for him. He also has the United history and pedigree. That being said, player management at Stoke is probably a lot easier.

Hughes has always been a good team-builder: he did excellently with Wales, then went to Blackburn and did a similar job to what he's done at Stoke, taking a dour team of cloggers and turning them into an exciting counter-attacking side, except that time with a tiny budget. And he was doing fine at Fulham before his ambition got the better of him and he left before finding out that Villa didn't want him after all. He failed at QPR, but so does everyone.
The concern, of course, would be City, where he didn't have any major disasters that I remember, but suffered a complete failure of imagination where he spent his infinite budget on the same sort of players he'd been buying at Blackburn. Which is a lot like what Moyes did for us. I like the way he plays, and apart from that Fulham thing the way he conducts himself, but you'd be a bit worried that he'd come in and sign Arnautovic, Eljero Elia and Ettiene Capoue.

Also, he was playing 4-3-3 way before it was cool in England.

But yeah, it seems unlikely. If he goes to a big club in the near-ish future, it'll be Chelsea.

All the talk of Everton losing Lukaku and Stones, but where are they going to go? United? Chelsea?

If I were them, I might be inclined to give it another year at Everton and make sure their moves to better teams are actually going to be to better teams!

I can see Lukaku going to Atletico. Though Arsenal should break the bank for him, I reckon he'd be so good for them.

Sterling did unusually well in the first half. Toure goes missing a lot. They're really lucky that DeBruyne settled so quickly this season and that Navas was relatively productive for so many games. City are title contenders while most of their team goes missing most weeks.

Sterling did unusually well in the first half. Toure goes missing a lot. They're really lucky that DeBruyne settled so quickly this season and that Navas was relatively productive for so many games. City are title contenders while most of their team goes missing most weeks.

He was tracking back, trying to win the ball and also surging forward quickly, which is an incredibly great improvement in him. I think Pelligrini is starting to get the best out of his freakish pace.

And most of it is down to Joe Hart who is at his stunning best(especially with the poor defence that we have). I think he is one of the very best in the world.

Hilarious. Sergi Guardiola(not relative of Pep Guardiola) gets signed for Barcelona B and in an hour after signing said contract they released him because he was shitting on Barcelona on social media: https://twitter.com/RM_Insider/status/681583248875507714/photo/1

It's in Spanish, but I know a bit, and he was saying stuff like: "hey whore Catalonia and always hala Madrid" Genius.

All the talk of Everton losing Lukaku and Stones, but where are they going to go? United? Chelsea?

If I were them, I might be inclined to give it another year at Everton and make sure their moves to better teams are actually going to be to better teams!

Man Utd, City or abroad. No way in hell they would sell any of their players to Chelsea after Stones affair during the summer. If they sell Lukaku...well Martinez got some work to do to replace him. I don't expect both of them to go.

Did we really just manage to keep a clean sheet against the almighty Leicester without Kompany?

Leicester was playing not to lose and it's understandable after they drop points at Anfield and Vardy not being okay, but still some shaky moments from Otamendi and Mangala. I remember one moment where Otamendi tried to kick the ball away, it bounced out of Leicester player straight to Ulloa and Mangala like a tank brought him down just outside of the penalty area. Managala reminds me of Luiz, but he was at least skilled defender and could score a goal on a few occasions. 

It was an eqaual game with both sides having some chances and it's kinda testament to Leicester. They've been magnificent the way they organize their defence and general play. Kante and Inler especially were faboulous, Fuchs and Drinkwater also. 

You could've been given a penalty for foul on Agüero, but they way he fall just robbed him of it.

I wouldn't put it that way at all. Yeah, they tightened up midfield a bit and went one up top, but their actual gameplan was pretty much the same it's been all season.

They were a bit more defensive than usual as with us. Even the commentator on NBC mentioned it, but for Leicester it was and is a very comfortable position. In their situation point is better than nothing as on Anfield. There their defence didn't really work there and we were quite dominant. It was up to Man City to do something.

Leicester was playing not to lose and it's understandable after they drop points at Anfield and Vardy not being okay, but still some shaky moments from Otamendi and Mangala. I remember one moment where Otamendi tried to kick the ball away, it bounced out of Leicester player straight to Ulloa and Mangala like a tank brought him down just outside of the penalty area. Managala reminds me of Luiz, but he was at least skilled defender and could score a goal on a few occasions. 

It was an eqaual game with both sides having some chances and it's kinda testament to Leicester. They've been magnificent the way they organize their defence and general play. Kante and Inler especially were faboulous, Fuchs and Drinkwater also. 

You could've been given a penalty for foul on Agüero, but they way he fall just robbed him of it.

Still, we achieved a clean sheet without Kompany which was like next to impossible ( that too against the counter attacking prowess of Leicester )

Yea, that was a penalty all right but Aguero's reaction sums up his entire game.

Archived