aemon targaryen and brynden rivers

house of dayne

clearly these two mysterious figures go back a long way, even before the wall...beyond their ties of blood, both began their watch on the wall together..eventually, bloodraven became lord commander and aemon his sworn maester..bloodraven mysteriously disappeared north of the wall to evolve into the three eyed crow but i wonder if his relationship with aemon continued..

curiously, aemon though blind and frail, was nonetheless gifted with a tremendously long life...a life that ended as soon as he left the proximity of bloodraven. his blindness come to think of it echos bloodraven with his missing eye who sees through psychic means..

does aemon speak bloodravens will or is he truely an agent of free will uninfluenced by rivers after his disapperance? do you consider him a proxy agent of brynden rivers or possibly an opponent?

the connections run deep between these two and im curious to see how you interpret them

Although I've never tried to prove or disprove the notion of cooperation or just communication between Aemon and Bryndyn after the latter disappeared, I've wondered about it. Since I've never seen any hints, I've assumed that their was no such communication. 

"Doves and pigeons can also be trained to carry messages," the maester went on, "though the raven is a stronger flyer, larger, bolder, far more clever, better able to defend itself against hawks … yet ravens are black, and they eat the dead, so some godly men abhor them. Baelor the Blessed tried to replace all the ravens with doves, did you know?" The maester turned his white eyes on Jon, smiling. "The Night's Watch prefers ravens."

I've always wondered how somebody as important as a lord commander of the nights watch who also happens to be a Targaryen great bastard could just up and disappear and it not be that big a deal. Not sure why but I get the feeling that he would have more stories around the wall or legends about him there or something

I've always wondered how somebody as important as a lord commander of the nights watch who also happens to be a Targaryen great bastard could just up and disappear and it not be that big a deal. Not sure why but I get the feeling that he would have more stories around the wall or legends about him there or something

Didn´t he just fake his death or something?

"Doves and pigeons can also be trained to carry messages," the maester went on, "though the raven is a stronger flyer, larger, bolder, far more clever, better able to defend itself against hawks … yet ravens are black, and they eat the dead, so some godly men abhor them. Baelor the Blessed tried to replace all the ravens with doves, did you know?" The maester turned his white eyes on Jon, smiling. "The Night's Watch prefers ravens."

Sets up Coldhands's deliverance of Samwell, but what are you getting at here? Are you suggesting this indicates Aemon knows Brynden is slipping into ravens?

Who says it wasn't a big deal at the time? I'm sure it was a huge deal among the Night's Watch, and was probably at least noted among Aegon's court. Hopefully we'll get to see Aegon's reaction in a future Dunk and Egg story. I'd imagine the Watch looked for him for a while before presuming him dead. 

The more I read about this the more it seems to me there had to be some connection between Aemon & BR.   I reread Aemon keenly aware of how calm he is.   How much he seems to just know and be right about.   His "kill the boy" advice made one king, why not another?   I think the jury has to be out on continued communication between BR & Maester Aemon until we get a little backstory from BR.  That said, reading Aemon with this possible inside information sheds a whole new light on his motives, particularly with regard to Sam.   He's always pushing Sam to read, read, read.   He supports Jon in his command to send Sam to the Citadel, indeed, to switch the babies.   Marwyn makes that curious statement about Aemon should have been Arch Maester to Sam.  The notorious maverick magic loving Marwyn said this.  It's curious and I would love a believable explanation for it.   Now Marwyn is on the same ship that holds Aemon's body in a cask of rum.   Another interesting twist.  Something is here but I can't begin to imagine what and if it's directly related to BR. 

He is still guarding the Realms of Men, in the best way he can

I couldn't agree more.  Never saw BR as a bad guy up to no good.    He's on a mission that is in no way in conflict with the vows of the NW. 

According to TWoIaF, Bloodraven became LC of the Night's Watch in 239 AC, approximately six years after taking the black, and served "until his disappearance during a ranging beyond the Wall in 252 AC." If the story of his disappearance has become common knowledge as part of the realm's history, it was probably a pretty big deal at the time, but as we saw with LC Mormont, it is not unheard of for LC to die on rangings north of the Wall.

I don't think Bloodraven is controlling Maester Aemon, but it wouldn't shock me to learn they had still been communicating somehow. BR and Aemon were both really caught up in the ancient prophecies, and Aemon obviously is still interested in the identity of TPTWP, so maybe they were still working together on figuring it all out. Aemon was in charge of the ravens at Castle Black after all, and BR is surrounded by ravens he could dispatch to CB with a message.

curiously, aemon though blind and frail, was nonetheless gifted with a tremendously long life...a life that ended as soon as he left the proximity of bloodraven. his blindness come to think of it echos bloodraven with his missing eye who sees through psychic means..

I don't think Aemon was always blind and frail; both would have had to have come from his extreme old age.

My question is did BloodRaven break his Nights Watch Oath? Is he still keeping it? Or was he released?

Most likely he simply fell under a curse that only lets him go out into the world as a three eyed crow.

Archived