Dowries in Dorne

Batman

Just a random thought, how do dowries work in Dorne? Given that daughters can rule, do lesser males from other houses have to pay them dowries to marry the female heir? Is the tradition waved? In the case of Ynys Yronwood and Ryon Allyrion did either pay and does their heir rule both seats when his parents die?

Just a random thought, how do dowries work in Dorne? Given that daughters can rule, do lesser males from other houses have to pay them dowries to marry the female heir? Is the tradition waved? In the case of Ynys Yronwood and Ryon Allyrion did either pay and does their heir rule both seats when his parents die?

the book said Cletus is the heir to yronwood. Her younger brother. 

I think since ryon is also the heir and needs to rule, maybe she gave up the claim? 

Where does it say that Cletus was younger?

When first he'd come to Yronwood, he had been smitten with Ynys, the eldest of Lord Yronwood's daughters.

It just occurred to me that it might only mean she is older than Gywneth. But Ynys is listed ahead of Cletus in the appendix. Usually they are listed by age. 

the book said Cletus is the heir to yronwood. Her younger brother. 

I think since ryon is also the heir and needs to rule, maybe she gave up the claim? 

That would seem weird if they did. If that's the case Arianne was setting her sights far too high. 

That would seem weird if they did. If that's the case Arianne was setting her sights far too high. 

Why would that seem weird? Arianne was trying to arrange a marriage for herself to an heir to a seat, or ruler to a seat (Edmure, Renly, Willas), and the bigger castles a that, during a time she believed she would be disinherited. She was trying to get herself in the second best position, since she believed she wouldn't be getting Dorne.

Why would that seem weird? Arianne was trying to arrange a marriage for herself to an heir to a seat, or ruler to a seat (Edmure, Renly, Willas), and the bigger castles a that, during a time she believed she would be disinherited. She was trying to get herself in the second best position, since she believed she wouldn't be getting Dorne.

I think Batman was referring to Ynys  giving up her claim, not Arianne.

Why would that seem weird? Arianne was trying to arrange a marriage for herself to an heir to a seat, or ruler to a seat (Edmure, Renly, Willas), and the bigger castles a that, during a time she believed she would be disinherited. She was trying to get herself in the second best position, since she believed she wouldn't be getting Dorne.

You think she knew that at the time? When did she see that letter to Quentyn? 

You think she knew that at the time? When did she see that letter to Quentyn? 

I think she definitly knew by then.  

She was fourteen years old when she read that letter. The Edmure-match was initiated by Hoster (who obviously did not see a problem in betrothing his heir to Doran's heir), but the other two attempts were initiated by Arianne. She tried to seduce Renly when he had come to visit Sunspear... Considering Renly only toured the Stormlands after his 16th birthday, I cannot imagine he paid a visit to Sunspear before.

And considering Doran had first wanted to tell Arianne about her betrothal when she turned 16, I imagine that he altered his plan only after she had turned 16 and he had decided she couldn't be trusted to keep the secret.

Archived