Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leap

2016 Reading Self-Challenge

Congratulations to everyone who completed their goal last year! For those who didn't take part: this is about challenging yourself to read a target number of books in 2016. If you post your goal here, I'll record it in this post and your name will be boldfaced if/when you finish. 

FAQ:

What counts as a book?

This is a personal target to yourself with no penalties or prizes, so in short it's ''whatever you think''. Common convention tends to include audiobooks, short story collections and self-contained graphic novels, but not individual short stories or comic book issues. 

What should I set as my goal?

If you're looking for a target number and aren't sure what to pick, 52 (1 book/week) and 26 (1 book/2 weeks) are common, but it can be as low as 1 or as high as... something high. In addition, many posters take it a step further by setting sub-targets, such as ''no re-reads'' or ''more foreign authors''. These won't be recorded on the front page, but it's a great way to make your challenge that much more interesting!

Can I revise my goal?

Of course! Just tell me and I'll update it. If you are revising upwards (and have already completed your original goal) your next challenge will be added in after the original. Each target you meet will be in bold. :)

When should I update this thread?

There is already a monthly reading thread for discussion of the books you have read, but please feel free to update this thread once you feel you've made some headway with your challenge. Many posters choose to update monthly, I personally tend to update it after every 5 books. Whatever works!

As mentioned, there is already a monthly reading thread in this subforum. This thread is not just about boring lists though, a brief review or summary of the books you've read would be great!

How can I keep track of my books?

Many posters use Goodreads. In addition to recording your reads and what you have to say about them (write reviews!), they have a widget that allows you to declare your own goal - and it will automatically track your progress. 

There is a Westeros Goodreads group. Please feel free to join; it's a bit quiet at the moment, but the recommendations are definitely worth looking at. 

Credit to Inigima for most of the rules/format/suggestions etc.

Leap: 60

TheRevanchist: 52

HelenaExMachina: 30

Starkess: 60

Plessiez: 60

Risto: 40

Eric Cartman: 30

kairparavel: 25

Reny of Storms End: 30

Isildur's Mane: 20

Roose Boltons Pet Leech: 100

Mashiara: 75

The Wolves: 42

Garrett Hornwood: 40

3CityApache: 40

R'hllors Red Lobster: 25

Guinevere Seaworth: 75

Bearbert: 75

LongRider: 30

north of the wall: 10

Grayce Hornwood: 30

Ferrum Aeternum: 30

Wizraban: 30

Mark Antony: 26

Winterfella: 20

kafkascoat: 25

red snow: 25

ChillyPolly: 45

Rcollinss: 50

RedEyedGhost: 40

Paxter: 16

Consigliere: 25

DJDonegal: 41

Rody: 15

Andorion: 100

Fragile Bird: 24

Greg: 36

Castellan: 20 (July-Dec)

Put me down for 30 this year. I managed well over this last year, but so long as I reach 30 this year I'll be content.

Sub-goals; 

Clear my backlog of books that I've bought but not yet read. To help achieve this I think I'll steal Red Eyed Ghost's trick of 2 old 1 new.

Read more some short fiction (novellas, novelettes etc.) 

Try and strike more of a balance on the male/female author ratio. Last year was just under 3/4 male to female, and I'd like to try and even that out (though partly this was due to starting series of books, especially from Bernard Cornwell. I read a lot of books by the same authors last year, on reflection)

Last year I tried to increase the range of genres I read. Didn't manage too well on that front, especially as the year went on. Just kept returning to fantasy and historical fiction. Although classics cropped up a fair amount too. Anyway, not bothering to set this as a goal this year as its a vain hope anyway..

I've never really set myself a goal, as reading is just something I do, but I noticed that lately I have not been reading as much as usual. It's important to me as a writer to make sure I read widely, and it's also something that I enjoy and makes me feel better than endless hours on my computer/TV. So I am setting myself a goal of 60 books this year!

ETA: I just checked and I only read 33 books last year! Geez. Average of 517 pages each.

2016 Reads:

1. The Word for World is Forest by Ursula K. LeGuin
  2. Uprooted by Naomi Novik
  3. New Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko
  4. The Paper Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg
  5. The Glass Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg
  6. The Master Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg
  7. Trail of Broken Wings by Sejal Badani
  8. The Paradise War by Stephen Lawhead
  9. The Silver Hand by Stephen Lawhead
  10. The Endless Knot by Stephen Lawhead
  11. You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero
  12. The Hunted by Becky L. (unpublished manuscript)
  13. The Spider's War by Daniel Abraham
  14. Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie
  15. Red Rising by Pierce Brown
  16. Golden Son by Pierce Brown
  17. The Eleventh Draft edited by Frank Conroy
  18. Morning Star by Pierce Brown
  19. Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie
  20. The First Five Pages by Noah Lukeman
  21. Ancillary Mercy by Ann Leckie
  22. Still Alice by Lisa Genova
  23. Green Rider by Kristen Britain
  24. The First Rider's Call by Kristen Britain
  25. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
  26. Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power by Jon Meacham 
  27. Story Engineering by Larry Brooks
  28. The High King's Tomb by Kristen Britain
  29. Sailing to Sarantium by Guy Gavriel Kay
  30. Blackveil by Kristen Britain
  31. Mirror Sight by Kristen Britain
  32. Lord of Emperors by Guy Gavriel Kay
  33. The Geek Feminist Revolution by Kameron Hurley
  34. Aftermath by Chuck Wendig
  35. Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey (reread)
  36. Caliban's War by James S.A. Corey (reread)
  37. Abaddon's Gate by James S.A. Corey (reread)
  38. Cibola Burn by James S.A. Corey
  39. The Shadow of What Was Lost by James Islington
  40. Dangerous Women edited by Gardner Dozois and George R.R. Martin
  41. Conspirator by C.J. Cherryh
  42. Deceiver by C.J. Cherryh
  43. Betrayer by C.J. Cherryh
  44. The Martian by Andy Weir
  45. The Heir of Night by Helen Lowe (reread)
  46. The Gathering of the Lost by Helen Lowe (reread)
  47. Daughter of Blood by Helen Lowe
  48. His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik
  49. The White Tree by Edward W. Robertson
  50. The Great Rift by Edward W. Robertson
  51. Nemesis Games by James S.A. Corey
  52. Throne of Jade by Naomi Novik
  53. Prada and Prejudice by Katie Oliver
  54. Babylon's Ashes by James S.A. Corey
  55. The Dress by Kate Kerrigan
  56. The Maze Runner by James Dashner
  57. The Scorch Trials by James Dashner
  58. The Death Cure by James Dashner
  59. The Broken Eye by Brent Weeks (reread)
  60. The Blood Mirror by Brent Weeks

2015 was very much a year for me to get some classics, mostly from the 20th Century, under my figurative belt. I succeeded in that, although of course as I progressed through the year I only ended up feeling less well-read than I did at the start. 

Anyway, as a result of that I didn't end up reading that much in terms of fantasy - particularly towards the end of the year. 2016 is going to rectify that, and I've chosen a much higher reading challenge that will hopefully reflect the jump from ponderous 20thC fiction to the much quicker-to-read fantasy series. 

Sub Goals:

Read at least 15 books by a female author

Have <5 books that I own left to read by the end of the year

Fill the gaps in my nerd-cred by reading a shit tonne of fantasy

Re-reads are allowed this year, but again will not count towards my challenge. 

2015 was very much a year for me to get some classics, mostly from the 20th Century, under my figurative belt. I succeeded in that, although of course as I progressed through the year I only ended up feeling less well-read than I did at the start. 

Anyway, as a result of that I didn't end up reading that much in terms of fantasy - particularly towards the end of the year. 2016 is going to rectify that, and I've chosen a much higher reading challenge that will hopefully reflect the jump from ponderous 20thC fiction to the much quicker-to-read fantasy series.

Sub Goals:

Have <5 books that I own left to read by the end of the year

Fill the gaps in my nerd-cred by reading a shit tonne of fantasy

Re-reads are allowed this year, but again will not count towards my challenge. 

I wouldn't count on that. Quite a lot of fantasy is loong. Though I will concede it's quite often easier/faster to read than classics are

OH, boy... Thanks Helena :) Every year I want to join and somehow I forget... Let we say 40 this year...

Sub-goals:

1. Reread LOTR and HP on English

2. If GRRM announces TWOW, reread ASOIAF

3. Read all Gaiman, King and Pratchett's books I bought last year, but never got the chance to read.

4. Read at least 5 Japanese novels

*thanks to Helena because I saw her posting here :)

My target would be around 30 this year. 

Does novels in Star Wars Universe count? If yes, it'd be more. Irrespective this is my primary goal. Get an complete understanding of SW universe, characters and stories. 

Also finish a couple of other novels I've been putting off. Acts of Caine and Prince of Nothing tops this list. 

I've listed 25 books as my overall goal. This is two less than what I read in 2015, but five more than last year's goal. We'll see how that all turns out with my reading mood swings. As a sub-goal, this is the year I finish World War Z! I noticed last night I've been slowly reading a bit a time since mid-2012. It's a paperback and I received my Kindle not long after I started it. 

Very interesting premise. I'll admit only ones I've read that I recall are Rowling and Trudi Canavan. Which ones do you have in mind? 

I wouldn't count on that. Quite a lot of fantasy is loong. Though I will concede it's quite often easier/faster to read than classics are

Yeah, that's true. I just got Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb for Christmas and it's an absolute brick (looking forward to it though).

Generally I can read about 3-4 times as much fantasy per day than I can with classics, for the same level of effort. Of course when I'm reading books that are 3-4 times longer, I'll be screwed xD But I have a fall back if I do start getting behind - Terry Pratchett. I think Discworld is over 40 books long, 30 of which I've not read. That could get me out of a tight spot if I start falling behind; my understanding is that they're nearly all of short-medium length. 

What I was really downplaying is the likelihood that I'll get ''stuck'' on a fantasy book. I've never really had that issue before, even the god-awful Wheel of Time wasn't that bad. It's a possibility though, but after Moby Dick I think I'll be prepared for all that comes on that level. 

My target would be around 30 this year. 

Does novels in Star Wars Universe count? If yes, it'd be more. Irrespective this is my primary goal. Get an complete understanding of SW universe, characters and stories. 

Also finish a couple of other novels I've been putting off. Acts of Caine and Prince of Nothing tops this list. 

Any novel counts as per your own sub-goals. I see no reason why Star Wars (particularly Star Wars :P ) would not count as a book read. Let me know if you are going to change your target number because of this, I'll put it down as 30 for now.

Very interesting premise. I'll admit only ones I've read that I recall are Rowling and Trudi Canavan. Which ones do you have in mind? 

Well as I'm mostly sticking to fantasy this year, someone that features highly will be Robin Hobb. It helps that she's also a good author. 

Other authors I have in mind are Harper Lee, Margaret Atwood and Maya Angelou. I might even read something by China Mieville even though it wasn't till I googled him just now that I realised he was a guy.

Well last year was my first year of keeping track of what I read and I reached my goal of 26.  This year will be about seeing if I can reach an even higher goal, or if 26 is just my max number. So my goal this year will be 30. I unintentionally set myself up perfectly to get a good head start as I'm already about to finish my first book (just couldn't finish in time for last year). 

I did terrible last year, but I'm going to try for 20.

And hope I don't get as busy as I did in the second half of last year.

Currently, I'm reading 'The Red Queen' by Isobelle Carmody. I'm towards the end now but I've slowed down a heap because i don't want this book to end yet.

I'm also reading 'Bullies, Bastards and Bitches: How to write the bad guys of fiction', by Jessica Page Morrell. I'm reading this to help with my own writing. So far it is OK

An Ongoing book I've been reading since sometime last year is 'Titans of History', by Simon Sebag Montefiore. This book I'm about 40% through, but I'm taking notes and rereading as I go.

My aim is to read as many unread books already on my bookshelf as I can, before I buy more. I will probably reread books but they won't be included on my 2016 list.

Edit to add

So my goals:

- I have to finish the books I'm currently reading (above^) as well as the books I had to put down last year when things got too busy. They are: 'The Voyage of the Dawn Treader', by C. S. Lewis, 'The Pillow Book of the Flower Samurai', by Barbara Lazar (love this book but everytime I go to pick it up again I get busy again). I also still haven't finished all of 'Dangerous Women' and 'Rogues'

- I wish to read at least 5- 10 books by women (good start with 'The Red Queen', 'The Pillow Book...' and 'Bullies, Bastards...') 

- I want to read about 5 non-fiction books

- I want to read about 5 anthologies or short story collections

- I want to read at least 5 children's books (I'm not including picture books on this list, just longer books and books that are part of a series)

I want to read at least 10 novels in any genre 

I'm a bit more adventurous, and this year has 366 days anyway.

So: 100 books. I'm a fast reader, so long as I can concentrate.

(99 left. I finished off Richard Morgan's The Steel Remains this morning).

I'm a bit more adventurous, and this year has 366 days anyway.

So: 100 books. I'm a fast reader, so long as I can concentrate.

(99 left. I finished off Richard Morgan's The Steel Remains this morning).

Nevermind, how in the hell can you read 100 books? I was at 14 in 2015 haha. You said you're a fast reader, but are the books your read quite short or what? That's like 2 books a week. I don't know what kind of black magic lets you do that :P

I'll set my goal at 75, same as the past couple of years. I managed to read quite a bit more than both years that but I don't want to feel pressured to reach a higher number, I want to pick what I enjoy and not feel rushed.

Nevermind, how in the hell can you read 100 books? I was at 14 in 2015 haha. You said you're a fast reader, but are the books your read quite short or what? That's like 2 books a week. I don't know what kind of black magic lets you do that :P

Assuming your average book is 350 pages, that's only around 100 pages a day. Sometimes you're dealing with longer (*cough* Steven Erikson *cough*), but sometimes you're dealing with shorter - something in the range of 150-250 pages. So I think 100 books in a year is feasible.

If it helps, my eyes skim over prepositions and such while I read casually.