Winds update (not a blog)

TheLightning Lord

I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that Theon was going to live for awhile in TWOW? 

yeah. I remember asha being excited a bout the prospect of him making the kingsmoot invalid. Figured that being a big plot point in winds.

i no i was sitting here reading about everyone waiting i could not help myself, i instantly felt bad lol

But not bad enough to edit the comment. Gonna have to go with the majority here - real class act.<_<

lol, that's what people said last year.

GRRM:

Nor is it likely to be finished tomorrow, or next week. Yes, there's a lot written. Hundreds of pages. Dozens of chapters. (Those 'no pages done' reports were insane, the usual garbage internet journalism that I have learned to despise). But there's also a lot still left to write. I am months away still... and that's if the writing goes well.

Me thinks it will be out this year for sure

Well, on September 20th he still thought he could finish by the end of the year. Now he is "months away still... and that's if the writing goes well". Assuming he hasn't regressed, that means he has somewhere between 2 and 3.33 months worth of good writing days left.

How much is that? This post from May 2011, in which he lists the sizes of various partial manuscripts of ADWD, may give us an idea. The fastest writing apparently occurred between June and August of 2010, when he added 304 pages to his partial manuscript. I hope he's not using that as his baseline, or we might not see the book till 2018. The next fastest is from December 2010 to March 2011, when he added 159 pages in 3 months. Since that was also at the very end of the writing, let's use that - 53 pages per month -- as our "writing going well" number. In that case, he has an estimated 100-180 pages left to go.

If we take the earliest and latest partials mentioned in that post, we get an overall total of 1029 pages in 50 months, or a bit over 20 pages a month. So, at an average writing speed, I estimate it will take him 5 to 9 months to finish, meaning the book would be published sometime between August and December.

EDIT: changed "will" to "would", since an average writing speed is by no means guaranteed.

the problem is that even you read the WOW in 2016 or 2017, you still need to wait for several more years for the last book. 

I think show will just tell you everything before you knew the ending of the book. 

Exactly, even if things won't be exactly like in the books, the show will still reveal the major plot points and twists and the ending.

yeah, so early 2017 maybe.

We'll get the book by Xmas 2016. You have my word.

for all we know it could be published in late Q2/16, or it could be in late 2018 or even later. getting rid of this deadline might increase his pace, or even slow it down.

however, it's interesting that his "spoiler-paragraph" might be quite revealing regarding the show; mentioning that Euron and Victarion will be introduced, but Young Griff and Manderly will not; and not mentioning Catelyn in line with those that are already dead in the show and not in the books. hm...

He's 67 years. Plenty of time left

Heared of Robert Jordan ? he was even younger but...I think that if George didn't spend all his time blogging about some puppies there might have been some hope but..... I am really despressed not by the fact that we will get winds a couple of months later but i am trying to see what i can do to avoid the show and it's spoilers completely.

Archived