Winds update (not a blog)

TheLightning Lord

for all we know it could be published in late Q2/16, or it could be in late 2018 or even later. getting rid of this deadline might increase his pace, or even slow it down.

however, it's interesting that his "spoiler-paragraph" might be quite revealing regarding the show; mentioning that Euron and Victarion will be introduced, but Young Griff and Manderly will not; and not mentioning Catelyn in line with those that are already dead in the show and not in the books. hm...

It could be published in july i mean what made the publishers and editors think that Martin could finish it by the last hallowen it must be so close to finishing and if the publishers will do thier 3 months magic trick then we will get it soon but not before the show.I am horrified of what would happen after i finish Winds of the wait for book 7.

So what are you going to do about season 6? Watch it or not?

There's no reason to not watch the show.  Show is fun to watch and good entertainment if you watch it for what it is and not what you want it to be.  IMO, it will make reading TWOW even more interesting to see what has changed and what hasn't.  What the show did better and what the book did better.  

Hahaha, this is what denial looks like. IF he finishes the book this year, he's repeatedly stated that he HOPES to end the series in 7 books. We're looking at another 15 years of writing if he keeps the same pace, which he almost certainly won't. Make peace with the fact that the HBO ending is as close as you'll ever get. 

I personally think finishing the series would take no less than 8 books and 6 and 7 and 8 must be Storm of Swords size at the very least.

Heared of Robert Jordan ? he was even younger but...I think that if George didn't spend all his time blogging about some puppies there might have been some hope but..... I am really despressed not by the fact that we will get winds a couple of months later but i am trying to see what i can do to avoid the show and it's spoilers completely.

it would be hard to avoid being spoiled, I think. 

good luck. 

It could be published in july i mean what made the publishers and editors think that Martin could finish it by the last hallowen it must be so close to finishing and if the publishers will do thier 3 months magic trick then we will get it soon but not before the show.I am horrified of what would happen after i finish Winds of the wait for book 7.

Read between the lines. He just told his publishers to fuck off with their deadlines and took it to the court of public opinion so he looks sympathetic. He just built himself an excuse to go back to his regular con/travel schedule by saying that he doesn't work well under pressure, because he has all the leverage and the publishers can't walk away. This book ain't coming out any time soon, and the more he writes while the show is running, the more he's going to go back and revise. 

And neither are we his, and we should not waste our time with our noses jammed in his asshole. 

I am a harcore gamer ( Videogames.) and i play videogames very frequently and onre of the aspects i liked in games is storytelling. I watched the first harry potter movie by considence and liked it very much then i bought the books and saw the rest of the movies and then i read more fantasy books Narnia David Eddings Midde-Earth books and more.I began reading these books and watching these movies because i first liked the storytelling in some certain games and i wanted more of it and one day in 2011 i beagan hearing of a show called Game Of Thrones i first thought it was high buget historical drama and i saw some photos and liked what i saw so i decided to watch it then while i was waiting for the second season i discoverd something that shocked me that it was based on books so i decided to read them and then i began to search for another series of books to fill the wait and thus becoming a fantasy reader now i have read many and more series and watched more movies and tv shows played many games but A song of ice and fire was the best of all and that is why we are waiting for the winds of winter. ( It had some games devoloped based on it but the telltale game was the best)

I expected the book to be released in 2017, and in light of this update, I still see it happening then.

A tip here, book readers who are show watchers, spoil the fuck out of whatever the show shows that is relevant to the books (and even any chapter material of the next book GRRM released), all over this forum. And of course Game of Thrones is discussed extensively online all over the internet . So, if you are browsing this site and won't watch the show so you won't be spoiled, think again. You will be spoiled, and especially here.

Well he thought he could finish it in 5 months good work in May, he's said he is disappointed with what he has done, but he should still have made progress in the last 7 months, so midway through 2016 or earlier is entirely feasible, though it could be much longer I think this is one issue where we all need to look on the bright side a bit more.

Other than that I would say that I'm happy that Martin has broken his usual rules and told us what's going on, I understand that he doesn't like constant updates, but knowing how the work is proceeding every so often is helpful for those waiting, even if the news isn't good.

On the topic of the show: I will not be watching it, I don't expect to avoid all spoilers from now on, but I would rather hear them in a slightly less coherent way by word of mouth than watching it myself. And more importantly I didn't enjoy the show last year, it left me feeling angry and quite frustrated.

My advice to my fellow fans is simply watch the show if you still enjoy it, if you don't, then don't let the fear of spoilers or some kind of obligation to finish the series coerce you into watching it, I doubt it will preserve your enjoyment of the books.

The post comes across gloomy from his point of view, but only because he was shooting for this deadline and missed it. If he'd have said "I'm in the last quarter I think, and I'm probably months away" I think we would call it a win. Sure, before S6 would be nice, but hey ho. Hopefully now he's missed it, the pressure's off slightly and things will come more easily. 

Lots of people asking early in the thread why it'd be locked, because we need somewhere to discuss these things, right? And then, sure as night follows day, comes the speculation on his mortality. Even aside from the fact it's morbid and disrespectful, you'd think he was 97 not 67 the way people talk. The book looks likely this year, and there's no reason to think Dream would take more than 5 years. That's 72 for fucks sake. I can only assume these people have never lost anyone themselves in real life to think that their favourite story not being finished can in anyway be stacked against the loss of a human being, a husband, a friend. It's disgusting really.

Just read his post.

I kinda felt bad for him. I truly believe he wants to finish it but couldn't. 

Oh well.

I'm gonna take his advice and watch the show and try to enjoy it for what it is and enjoy the book when it comes out. 

Haaaahahahahahahahahahhaahaaaaahhhhhhhahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahhahahhaaaaahhahahahahahhahihiiiihhihihihihiihihihhhhoohohohoohhohoohohhohhohhhhoooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmgggggggggggggggggglllooooooollll

That's what I have to say to anyone who had high hopes, You sweet summer children.

Well he thought he could finish it in 5 months good work in May, he's said he is disappointed with what he has done, but he should still have made progress in the last 7 months, so midway through 2016 or earlier is entirely feasible, though it could be much longer I think this is one issue where we all need to look on the bright side a bit more.

Other than that I would say that I'm happy that Martin has broken his usual rules and told us what's going on, I understand that he doesn't like constant updates, but knowing how the work is proceeding every so often is helpful for those waiting, even if the news isn't good.

On the topic of the show: I will not be watching it, I don't expect to avoid all spoilers from now on, but I would rather hear them in a slightly less coherent way by word of mouth than watching it myself. And more importantly I didn't enjoy the show last year, it left me feeling angry and quite frustrated.

My advice to my fellow fans is simply watch the show if you still enjoy it, if you don't, then don't let the fear of spoilers or some kind of obligation to finish the series coerce you into watching it, I doubt it will preserve your enjoyment of the books.

I see it the way you do. If he thought he could get it done by now, he must be awfully close. I'm going to take the optimistic view and think we'll see it this year.

As far as the TV show goes, I think they are entirely different beasts at this point. My daughter read ADWD last year, finishing sometime in November. The day she finished she called me up and said, "Well, I finished ADWD."

"Great!" I responded. "What did you think?"

"Jon Snow was stabbed!" she replied.

"Well, you knew that," I said. "You watch the show."

"Yeah, but they changed so much that I thought that was just something they did for effect."

The point of this story is that the show and books are two different beasts now. I intend to watch the show, but I can tell my interest is waning. There were a couple of episodes this season that if I hadn't recorded them on the DVR I might have missed them entirely. So if I stop watching it won't be because of a fear of spoilers, but a growing lack of interest. However, I remain on tenterhooks for the release of TWOW.

The one clear thing I got from that post he is completely uninspired and unmotivated to finish The Winds of Winter. He lost interest in his series a long time ago. ADWD was almost ready in 2006 but it wasn't released until 2011.  So he's been writing TWOW since 2006 since he removed chapters and pushed forward plots, so its been nearly 10 years and he still has a mountain of work ahead of him. Once he's finished he will go back an re-write/polish. This book is years away and then there is still another novel which is going to be even harder for him to write since it has to start tying up the story. 

I always said on this forum that when the show overtakes him he will give up and that blog post couldn't be any more obvious that he is in a very bad place at the moment. He panicked last year and set himself a deadline which was a terrible idea. From the sounds of it he barely wrote a handful of pages. 

It will be 2018/2019 at the earlier at the earliest we will get this book. In the meantime a million plus people are going to get the trainwreck fanfic bulllcrap story that is the show. I only started reading after Season 2 so I fell really sorry for people who have been reading these books for 10+ years and seeing the unfinished story get sold to a TV station. 

I really have no problem with waiting a bit more, but now I'm really worried about DoS. 

Not necessarily. To reach a conclusion the POV threads need to converge. By the time he "finishes" Winds, the survivors will be very close to convergence and he's going to have a pretty good idea how they're going to do it. There isn't going to be a lot of wriggle room to slow him down especially as a number of threads will already be written beyond the Winds guillotine.

I'm obviously disappointed that Winds aint ready yet, but I do expect that it will be followed relatively quickly by Spring. Feast of Dragons might well be right about GRRM getting tired of ASoIaF and that might well be a motivator to finish it once he's climbed out of of the pit called Winds

Not necessarily. To reach a conclusion the POV threads need to converge. By the time he "finishes" Winds, the survivors will be very close to convergence and he's going to have a pretty good idea how they're going to do it. There isn't going to be a lot of wriggle room to slow him down especially as a number of threads will already be written beyond the Winds guillotine.

The problem is that the process you're describing should already be kicking in for TWoW. Once he gets past the Winterfell/Meereen battles (which were originally targeted for ADwD) the process of heading for the conclusion should be kicking in. POVs must start converging rather quickly. The time to introduce new subplots is past. The end of TWoW must bring us to a big cliffhanger (like the Fall of the Wall and the Other Invasion, perhaps Dany landing in Westeros) so that there is time to execute the conclusion.

If indeed he has known all along where the major arcs of the story are headed, books 6 and 7 should be the easiest books in the series to write. (Books 4 &5 were, predictably, the hardest.) In Christopher Tolkien's history of how his father wrote LotR, once the last plot twist was settled on (Aragorn taking the Paths of the Dead) many of the last chapters came very quickly. Some almost "wrote themselves". GRRM isn't JRR Tolkien, but his plot should have been worked out while writing Feast and Dance.

I find the fact that GRRM is still debating plot choices at this stage quite alarming.

Anyway, Hung Be The Heavens With Black. I'm in mourning.

Archived