Winds update (not a blog)

TheLightning Lord

He doesn't care about the entity or fans that got him famous in the first place. No different from Rothfuss.

Maybe he should hand the writing over to another author now rather than everyone waiting for him to inevitably not finish it. Let the author know the general idea of where he wants to go with it. Because going by this latest update, not only does he have writing block to some extent, he just comes across downbeat, like he's lost the passion for writing the books and would rather concentrate on other things.  Which is fair enough, but if that's the case, just hand over the writing duties whilst he's still around so we can the most satisfying conclusion to the books.

He doesn't care about the entity or fans that got him famous in the first place. No different from Rothfuss.

Maybe he should hand the writing over to another author now rather than everyone waiting for him to inevitably not finish it. Let the author know the general idea of where he wants to go with it. Because going by this latest update, not only does he have writing block to some extent, he just comes across downbeat, like he's lost the passion for writing the books and would rather concentrate on other things.  Which is fair enough, but if that's the case, just hand over the writing duties whilst he's still around so we can the most satisfying conclusion to the books.

He has handed over the series to D&D.

You're describing my life.

And I can tell you, with all honesty, that is mostly due to me being disorganized as fuck as well as a procrastinator.

:D my life as well

but I'm not writing the grandson or the great grand son of Kong. All I had to do was write the frekking report. I'm pretty sure my boss wouldn't except the dog ate it excuse.

They should've spaced out the TV series a bit better, 5 seasons in 4 and a half years.
He's probably miffed that it's all everyone's talking about and it is inevitably going to ruin the surprises of the books

I'm fairly sure he owns a piece of the show...and the merchandise.   In that case it would be difficult to not have divided loyalties.  The part in the blog post about reading the book after seeing the movie and vice versa then the depressed alien icon...I'm not sure what there is to really be depressed about other than possibly being ticked off about the article last week and then having to post information at all.   He's played Winds very close to the vest.   As I've said, I feel like a duped jerk at this very early point in the game.    At least I didn't buy any of the dolls, but I'm never going to wear any of the T-shirts ever again.   These are car wash rags now.   And I figure I saved a few bucks in not buying the map book too, now.    Quite the tangled web he's woven in this.   

Even a new author won't finish the books before the show.  It's done.

The thing is: George admits to still actually working on he plot.  

This means, as he's stated before, the show creators know the major plot points but don't really have the story.  What we can assume is that D&D will write all the connections and stories to get to these plot points. 

So what we will essentially be seeing now is someone else's story with his plot points weaved into it.   In other words, a new story with spoilers for his.  Bizarre.  

I suspect this may be trickiest book for GRRM to write; it would be for any writer. This book has to agree with all the preceding ones as it wraps up various story lines and serves as a springboard to the final book.

So what happens in this book needs to lead logically to the end game --which means the end has to be pretty well fleshed out. That means in essence he's writing two books at once. Oh sure, he can add some polish to the last book no matter what happens in this one, but he can't easily undo major plot points. He has to know where it's all going in the last book and that means he has to decide now how to map that journey out.

Frankly, I'm hoping this also means it's easier for him to write the final book.

That's depressing. I get that being propelled to his sort of stardom would devour anyone's time, but still...

I was holding out some vain hope that the show wouldn't overtake him. Even if I don't bother watching it, short of swearing off the internet completely for months and swearing everyone I know into silence, I'm sure a ton of visceral things will be spoiled. Whatever.

This means, as he's stated before, the show creators know the major plot points but don't really have the story.  What we can assume is that D&D will write all the connections and stories to get to these plot points. 

So do what we will essentially be seeing now is someone else's story with his plot points weaved into it.   In other words, someone else's story but with man of the spoilers for his story in it.  

That's all well and good, but who wants to see HBO finish the opus?   I don't know, I guess my 1st taste of GRRM was in AGOT, where I was sure everything was a trick in the books.  Surprisingly, this feels exactly like that 1st impression.   

He needs to do the same to a proper author who can write/finish the books.

I don't think GRRM finished this series dead or alive, might as well let an author get the most out of his ideas.

he's already said he won't allow another author to write in the ASOIAF universe until we're all dead. You may not like the show, but that's all you got, other than waiting on GRRM. The situation isn't gonna change, only how you decide to deal with it...

They should've spaced out the TV series a bit better, 5 seasons in 4 and a half years.
He's probably miffed that it's all everyone's talking about and it is inevitably going to ruin the surprises of the books

HBO bought the rights to the books back in 2006 and the show premiered in 2011. GRRM is terrible at deadlines and having a TV show based on your series is the ultimate deadline because they will eventually spoil things regardless of how much they might deter from the books.

J.K Rowling still had 3 books to go when the Harry Potter movies started coming out in 2001 and she finished them long before the movies for each book were out.

Eh, maybe I skip season 6, if I feel like it. After all I haven't seen The Force Awakens and I remain unspoiled as of yet.

Or maybe I'll watch it, who knows.

I'll watch the show... I just don't feel like reading winds and then waiting for ADOS forever. If the story is completed through the books, I'll read it, but until then, if ever, I'll watch the show. 

It's been 14 years for me...

That's all well and good, but who wants to see HBO finish the opus?   I don't know, I guess my 1st taste of GRRM was in AGOT, where I was sure everything was a trick in the books.  Surprisingly, this feels exactly like that 1st impression.   

I don't.

i don't like the show much, honestly, and I suspect it's going to get worse now that they only have an outline of major plot points.

On the other hand, we may never see the ending.  I guess 2022 is the earliest.  I guess knowing what happens is something.!!

So what we will essentially be seeing now is someone else's story with his plot points weaved into it.   In other words, a new story with spoilers for his.  Bizarre.  

bizarre, indeed. 

he's already said he won't allow another author to write in the ASOIAF universe until we're all dead. You may not like the show, but that's all you got, other than waiting on GRRM. The situation isn't gonna change, only how you decide to deal with it...

That's a shame, never knew he has said that before.

I like the show and don;t care that it's overtaking the books, I just don't think he'll ever finish the books so we're better off having a skilled author writing it now with GRRM behind him rather than nothing really happening and him never finishing it.

I've watched a couple of Martin's interviews and when someone mentions the show, his demeanor changes. Maybe it's because his tired of being asked about something he doesn't have much agency, or (what I suspect) he's become disillusioned with the show.

I think he's going to red herring the hell out of D&D and keep his intended finale for the books.

Your post implies that the show will give us the ending GRRM had planned all along, and that GRRM is, at this late date, able to change the ending to the point where the ending of the show and the novels completely diverge. In that case, I'll be more interested in the ending which the show will use than however GRRM changes things.

Archived