George talked about Winds and publication time

queen of meraxes

I know that there is a good chance I won't visit these boards anymore, you always get, in the book section, threads title something like: do you think Stannis will ... like he did on the show?

I don't watch the show, I don't want to know anything like that. But instead of banning those buttmunchers who post things like that in the book forum, the threads explode.

Of course the show will spoil the books, but if I never come here again at the launch of the next season, it's not something I will have to worry about.

I totally agree that the books will have a lot more to offer even if partially spoiled by the show. They will suffer from it nonetheless, just as reading the LotR after the movies or seeing Star Wars knowing Darth Vader is Luke father, the stories are still good, there is a much more personal connection that you can only achieve trough books, but the surprise and the twists are greatly lessened.

Of course the show will spoil the books, but if I never come here again at the launch of the next season, it's not something I will have to worry about.

I don't think avoiding this site will help you - you're going to need to stay away from the internet altogether.  If you don't think "THE RETURN OF JON SNOW" (if that happens) will be bandied about all sorts of websites...you're crazy.

I don't think avoiding this site will help you - you're going to need to stay away from the internet altogether.  If you don't think "THE RETURN OF JON SNOW" (if that happens) will be bandied about all sorts of websites...you're crazy.

I don't know, I managed to avoid any Star Wars spoilers. It comes from direct links to the sites you want to look at. Like there won't be any spoilers on the RSI main site, but I won't venture into the forums at all. Mostly I work with book marks, not really just browsing the net.

Can't say I'm surprised.  Martin has always struck me as a sloppy writer and a relatively tone-deaf person in general, and this series of posts certainly hasn't changed that impression.  Write a series of updates about all the awesome travel you've done and the awards you've won for all your other projects and the cool shit you're doing in Santa Fe...and then expect people to feel bad for you when you say the book's not done.  Right.  At this point my interest in the books is almost non-existent.  I'd rather watch the show and get the ending that way.  At least the show can manage the Herculean task of meeting deadlines, aka something every single one of us manages to do at our jobs just fine on a daily basis.  Give me a fucking break.

Only problem is the show has no characterization and completely misses the thematic significance of the books. I can't imagine they'll do any better this season without a concert source to play off of.

Only problem is the show has no characterization and completely misses the thematic significance of the books. I can't imagine they'll do any better this season without a concert source to play off of.

For sure, Elio and Linda seemed to enjoy Theon's return to Pyke but otherwise are unimpressed with the creations of the showrunners.

I totally agree that the books will have a lot more to offer even if partially spoiled by the show. They will suffer from it nonetheless, just as reading the LotR after the movies or seeing Star Wars knowing Darth Vader is Luke father, the stories are still good, there is a much more personal connection that you can only achieve trough books, but the surprise and the twists are greatly lessened.

I only finished LotR after seeing the first two movies.  I had managed to get about 1/3 through Two Towers before dropping it due to boredom (constant wandering is what it seemed like).  After I saw the second moving, I dived back in and LOVED the books.  It really helped to have the awesome visuals of the movies to rely upon.  What I felt about those books which the movies really helped with was the emotional angle. In the the LoTR books, there's very little personal connection, whereas in the movies that's a big part of it.  While ASOIAF doesn't have that particular problem, I do think that watching the show has caused me to like and have sympathy for a lot of characters that I felt just kind of blah about in the written form, like Arya, Tyrion, and Jon.  

Anyway, just my personal story about this issue - I think it's definitely possible to still enjoy the books - or even enjoy them MORE if the movie/show is seen first. Another positive for watching first, Having read ASOIAF first I find that I notice all the changes, whereas going the other way I didn't notice anything had been left out or changed.

* Except the soup scene in the extended version of TT.  What... the hell what Jackson thinking...?  Also, giant waterfall of skulls in RotK, for some inexplicable reason.  

If you didn't like the wander in the Two Towers then Feast and Dance must have been painful lol

The difference, at least for many readers, is that you can easily zoom through material that seems a little boring. I know I even have a fondness for some poorly written books because I read so quickly that it's the overall themes and the characters that stick with me rather than the quality of the writing.

Agreed.  I couldn't even avoid Doctor Who spoilers for this past season and I didn't go to any specific sites for that show.  And Doctor Who isn't even that popular here...they just showed up in places I never expected they would.  I don't see how it's possible to remain spoiler-free with something as big as GoT in popular culture.  It's the internet...the internet doesn't consider anything a 'spoiler' after it has aired, so just being on the internet is risking seeing something you don't want to see.

I don't know, I managed to avoid any Star Wars spoilers. It comes from direct links to the sites you want to look at. Like there won't be any spoilers on the RSI main site, but I won't venture into the forums at all. Mostly I work with book marks, not really just browsing the net.

Congrats, you managed to avoid spoilers for a move that's been out a few weeks?  I notice you don't mention when you saw the movie relative to it's release.  Now you're talking about avoiding spoilers for a hugely popular book series and TV show for something like 4-5 years (assuming that's the earliest we'll get Book 7). 

Congrats, you managed to avoid spoilers for a move that's been out a few weeks?  I notice you don't mention when you saw the movie relative to it's release.  Now you're talking about avoiding spoilers for a hugely popular book series and TV show for something like 4-5 years (assuming that's the earliest we'll get Book 7). 

Exactly, just remember how long it took for JS "death" to be all over the Web, or the red wedding, any event of that scale will be in virtually any news/pop culture/diversity website plus any social network in a matter of hours, and this time we won't know in advance.

Spoof news article: George R R Martin cannot think of single good reason to finish book

I was half expecting that when I saw the title of his post.

Meanwhile I just have to keep convincing myself that I'd rather he take his time & get it right then rush. Difficult though that is at times.

You know, I almost believed that. I had to search for "the daily mash" and get confirmed that it's a site of joke news.

If GRRM wouldn't end the books, it wouldn't be unexpected, but, giving up like that would be very sad. And I would feel cheated. I didn't pay for an incomplete book. What would be the point of buying five books plus the Ducan & Egg tales plus the World of Ice and Fire plus the Lands of Ice and Fire if it all were left incomplete?

2 weeks after release and I wasn't even trying particularly hard.

I know that there is a good chance I won't visit these boards anymore, you always get, in the book section, threads title something like: do you think Stannis will ... like he did on the show?

I don't watch the show, I don't want to know anything like that. But instead of banning those buttmunchers who post things like that in the book forum, the threads explode.

Awwwww.

Archived