Update on the "Winds"

Right from the George's mouth: http://grrm.livejournal.com/465247.html

I'll quote just one fragment, I think essential:

But the book's not done.

Nor is it likely to be finished tomorrow, or next week. Yes, there's a lot written. Hundreds of pages. Dozens of chapters. (Those 'no pages done' reports were insane, the usual garbage internet journalism that I have learned to despise). But there's also a lot still left to write. I am months away still... and that's if the writing goes well.

And now we all can rest easy. 

Is it, really? Was anyone genuinely expecting that it would come out?

I'm pretty sure plenty of people were, including the publisher. I was hoping, at least. But oh well, life goes on, and I have to start training myself to stop using the internet come April.

To be honest with you all I'm actually surprised to hear him say that he's only months away from finishing.  I thought this would be another year.  He's further along than I thought.  I would've been shocked if it came out before next season of Thrones.

Meanwhile Jhiqui, Aggo, Jhogo, Jeyne Poole, Dalla (and her child) and her sister Val, Princess Arianne Martell, Prince Quentyn Martell, Willas Tyrell, Ser Garlan the Gallant, Lord Wyman Manderly, the Shavepate, the Green Grace, Brown Ben Plumm, the Tattered Prince, Pretty Meris, Bloodbeard, Griff and Young Griff, and many more have never been part of the show, yet remain characters in the books.

This got my attention.

I know there's Quentyn in the list as well and he's supposedly dead, but there are plenty of reasons to include him (POV character, many suspect he's still alive, his death is one of the last events in ADwD). But Dalla's been dead since ASoS e she's not an important character at all (al least apparently). Really odd.

Well, I'm happy that he finally started talking about the book. For me the worst of the situation was, that we didn't know anything at all, since the last real update was almost three years ago. I'm kinda relieved that there is an end in sight, there was always the possibility that he is much further behind. Now I'm pretty sure that twow can be published this year.

I don't really mind waiting for the book, it takes as long as it takes. My real issue is spoilers and events happening in the show. I didn't watch S5 as I was aware it was catching up with some characters and potentially eclipsing them, unfortunately it's almost impossible to use the internet and avoid spoilers, and even if they are diverging in ways, certain key plot points will remain, and I'd hate to learn them out of their proper place on page.

That has got to be hugely disappointing for GRRM.  For over 20 years he's teased and foreshadowed Jon's parentage and yet the show is going to beat him to it.  The show that has time for Lannister cousins who crush beetles, for invented prostitutes who end up going the way of Caligula after getting way too much screen time, yet hasn't had time to build up the mystery around Jon.

To be honest with you all I'm actually surprised to hear him say that he's only months away from finishing.  I thought this would be another year.  He's further along than I thought.  I would've been shocked if it came out before next season of Thrones.

I agree with you. All the long faces about this . . .who really thought the book was coming out In March? There was not one word about that. I thought it made perfect sense for a 2016 post s.6 release (ADWD came out in October, iirc) - and that looks very possible now thanks to what GRRM reveals here.

This got my attention.

I know there's Quentyn in the list as well and he's supposedly dead, but there are plenty of reasons to include him (POV character, many suspect he's still alive, his death is one of the last events in ADwD). But Dalla's been dead since ASoS e she's not an important character at all (al least apparently). Really odd.

What caught my attention was that he says, "Young Griff" and not Aegon - and Young Griff declared himself several chapters back in ADWD. So do we take this backward reference as fuel for the fAegon debate, or do we say he just doesn't want to tip his hand and is leaving things ambiguous?

Well, I'm happy that he finally started talking about the book. For me the worst of the situation was, that we didn't know anything at all, since the last real update was almost three years ago. I'm kinda relieved that there is an end in sight, there was always the possibility that he is much further behind. Now I'm pretty sure that twow can be published this year.

Exactly this. We didn't know a thing before. Many people doubted we would see the book in 2016 even. Now it looks like a certainty.

I don't really mind waiting for the book, it takes as long as it takes. My real issue is spoilers and events happening in the show. I didn't watch S5 as I was aware it was catching up with some characters and potentially eclipsing them, unfortunately it's almost impossible to use the internet and avoid spoilers, and even if they are diverging in ways, certain key plot points will remain, and I'd hate to learn them out of their proper place on page.

The two are now so different that I view them as separate entities: one is Moby Dick, the other Pinocchio.

To reply to John Reynolds whose post came in while I was typing: if I understand what GRRM is getting at in parts of his post - he's telling us not to read anything into what happens in the show. The books are a different animal now. When Martin first sat down with D&D it was easy for them to promise to follow the books, but the show has become such a runaway money maker, it has its own momentum now. Nothing George can do about it but write what he writes and let those clowns do what they do.

As much anticipation as I have for the next book, I am glad nothing is being rushed. I think the reason this series is so engrossing and enjoyable is because it is well-written and well-edited (a few errors but not much). When writers rush the books to the publisher, readers can often tell so I will just look forward to a complete WoW whenever it gets done. 

Also, I recommend a WoW Google alert because they are hilarious click bait posts and GRRM is right to despise them. They are worth the laugh when it comes to their realization of long-running theories, though. 

Archived