Which minor character's death hit you the most?

On 4-1-2016 at 3:26 AM, Prince of the North said:

Squire Dalbridge - BAMF!!!

Indeed! Sadly I think his garron never got an apple. 

Another one is Jory, especially if you see how Ned reacted to his dead. Maester Luwin and Farlen of course

And if Benjen is dead, Benjen too. 

Jory! That one gets me every time. And he is why I can't forgive Jaime. When Jaime pushed Bran out the window, at least he was trying to protect himself, his lover and their children. With Jory and the rest of the Winterfell men, it was only to chastise Ned. When Ned drags himself and his shattered leg to hold Jory:(

Also Nimble Dick, Donal Noye, maester ludwin, Lyman Darry, Benfred Tallhart and Lady.

Mycah and then Lady. I knew at that point that this was not a conventional fantasy tale. No death has shocked me quite as much as those. For those I was not mentally prepared. (Not that I was mentally prepared for the death of Jon Snow.)

On rereads I always skip over the death of Lady. But I know it's there' and then I go hug my dogs.

• 2 weeks later...

The Hound dying was a real stinker for me. I thought he was absolutely awesome and I hope that there is still some of him left in Sandor. Although his death was not as shocking as and more deserved than the likes of Lady and Micah, I was much more invested in The Hound as a character than most others. Hewas easily one of my favourites 

• 1 year later...

-Yoren and Ser Cortney Penrose who both went out like badasses, but failed to protect the children they'd sworn to keep safe

-Small Paul, who just wanted a bird of his own

-Nimble Dick, the best tour guide in Westeros

-Cleos Frey, who didn't seem like a terrible person, died ingloriously and isn't really missed by anyone

-Beric, who was probably quite happy to be gone for good

-Cressen, who loved Stannis like a son but died for nothing

-Luwin, who was loyal to the end

-Dalla, who'll never get to name her son

-Aemon, 'Egg, I dreamed that I was old' broke my heart in two

-Masha Heddle, who ran an inn and was murdered for it. Tyrion blaming her for his capture still makes me angry, as if she owed him anything

-Kyra, who went through so much and deserved better than to end up as just a name for one of Ramsay's dogs

-Lysa Arryn, who was manipulated all her life and died horribly

-Lady Tanda, who doesn't seem to have been anything but a friendly old lady, and Falyse, who I genuinely hope is dead by now for her sake

-Elia, Rhaenys and Aegon, who were brutally murdered simply for the crime of being Rhaegar's wife and children (and no, I don't believe Aegon is real, but that's a topic for another thread)

-Poor poor Lady Hornwood who never deserved any of the horrific things that happened to her

Nimble Dick is one that really stuck with me. Brienne makes her way through quite a few different companions along the road but his death and resolution to the "Find the Fool" side quest really left me with a lump in my throat.

Another that really, really sticks with me is Small Paul. He was kind of like the Night Watch's Hodor, a relatively simple soul who just wanted a pet raven, which I found rather endearing. So, when he dies essentially because he lingered behind to carry Sam in order to get said pet raven and then comes back as a wight... guh!

Lady was a difficult one because she did no wrong! Grey Wind, too.

Old Nan might be alive but it is doubtful; one of my favourite passages in the books revolves around keeping her memory of her, the sound of her voice -- hence my signature. ^_^

Finally, while Aemon's death wasn't as gutwrenching for me as characters like Nimble Dick and Small Paul, as he was very old, "Egg, I dreamed that I was old!" genuinely brought a tear to my eye.

My innocence :(

Which means I've become so brutalised by and inurred to all the meaningless deaths, my reaction has been numbed to a general 'had it coming anyway' response to most deaths.

I suppose the worst was Lady. Then Jory. Ser Rodrick. Davos until it turned out he was still alive. Luwin, of course.

But lots of the others leave me cold. Viserys - had it coming; any Freys - just a plague awaiting a cure; Lommy - mercy killing really; Lysa Arryn - good riddance; Pycelle - I was disappointed Tyrion didn't give him a closer shave in the first place....

Archived