Hap and Leonard - SundanceTV's darkly comic swamp noir

AncalagonTheBlack

Official Teaser Trailer

tumblr_inline_nzis11zuIO1s0669x_540.jpg

Premieres this March

Based on the novels by Joe Lansdale, starring James Purefoy (The Following), Michael Kenneth WIlliams (Boardwalk Empire) and Christina Hendricks (Mad Men)

Set in the late 1980s, “Hap and Leonard” is a darkly comic swamp noir story of two best friends, one femme fatale, a crew of washed-up revolutionaries, a pair of murderous psycho-killers, some lost loot and the fuzz. Based on the novels by Joe R. Lansdale, the six-hour series event follows Hap Collins (James Purefoy), an East Texas white boy with a weakness for Southern women, and Leonard Pine (Michael Kenneth Williams), a gay, black Vietnam vet with a hot temper. When Hap’s seductive ex-wife Trudy (Christina Hendricks) resurfaces with a deal they can’t refuse, a simple get-rich-quick scheme snowballs into bloody mayhem. Chock full of eccentric characters, “Hap and Leonard” provides a country twist on the classic mystery thriller.

I'm excited about this as I'm a fan of the books, but yet again, have to wait and see if a UK distributor is found.

But the casting could not be more perfect. :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The search function is really weird. Typing Hap doesn't give any results (Leonard works though). I was going to start a new thread...

Anyway, I liked it. I didn't understand why the cops had difficulties finding the money though.

I've read Lansdale, but never his Hap and Leonard series. I enjoyed the first episode. The characters are interesting, and the plot intriguing so far. Vintage East Texas Lansdale setting. Not only that, it's actually funny.   I'll have to watch the second episode on Sundance On Demand before it airs next week. This show seems to be right up my alley. Now I'll have to read Lansdale's Hap and Leonard series sooner rather than later.

On 4 January 2016 at 8:09 AM, mormont said:

I'm excited about this as I'm a fan of the books, but yet again, have to wait and see if a UK distributor is found.

But the casting could not be more perfect. :)

Amazon Prime are showing it, if you use that at all. New episodes every Friday 

I just finished the first episode :) I really liked it. The show is very atmospheric, the actors are topnotch. Some of the dialogue can be sharper and I'm not sure about the two villains, but the rest was more than good enough to compensate for those minot qualms. I'm curious to see how this story progresses, I'll probably watch the second episode tomorrow :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I was expecting that double cross. It was nice to get some flashbacks. I'm hoping for some Leonard flashbacks. The two villains are a bit outlandish, but fun. These two are rather tame compared to those on Banshee. Looks we'll finally have Hap and Leonard meeting them next week. Looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...

The penultimate episode was really good. The finale, by comparison was a bit of a letdown. I did still enjoy it though, some logic fails amongst the villians not withstanding. It went through the motions after that, but Purefoy and K. Williams have good chemistry. I was also intrigued by how they have set up next season. They were pretty blatant about it, but I wasn't expecting that final surprise. I think I'll tune in next year as well. It's not the best thing on tv, but it's pretty enjoyable none the less. 

Archived