GRRM blog post: Theon spoilers for WoW?

rozemarijn

I tried, and I am still trying. I worked on the book a couple of days ago, revising a Theon chapter and adding some new material, and I will writing on it again tomorrow. 

And then there is:

Yes, there's a lot written. Hundreds of pages. Dozens of chapters. (Those 'no pages done' reports were insane, the usual garbage internet journalism that I have learned to despise). But there's also a lot still left to write. I am months away still... and that's if the writing goes well. 

So. He has written a lot and should at least have finished half the book, but he is still writing Theon. The cliffhanger of the published chapter implies that Theon will be executed in front of the hear tree, the fact that Theon is still alive halfway the book could tell us a lot about:

-Bran and what he is planning. Is Theon a part of his plans? What role could he have to play?

-Stannis, who has probably won the battle of ice if Theon is still alive.

We don't know if the chapter Martin mentioned happens halfway through the book. If I remember correctly, he's said that he doesn't write the storylines chronologically all the time, but rather that he writes all or most of a character's chapters in a row. So that Theon chapter could easily be the one after the sample, where he's taken to the tree to be beheaded. Or not. There's really no way of knowing. 

Well, to me the fact that Martin is revising a Theon chapter seems to imply that Theon still has more chapters to come. If it was his second and last chapter it should have been written long ago, since his first chapter was published long ago. And it wouldn't be surprising that Theon survives. In these books, when we're told about plans for a character's death, the character usually survives. Deaths are always unexpected, that's Martin's way of writing, with twists and turns. And I don't think Theon's own arc is completed yet, he still has to rise again, harder and stronger.

We don't know. It can be his last chapter and which he is executed. We have others POVs in the place he is, so he can die and other character replace him as POV.

And it wouldn't be surprising that Theon survives. In these books, when we're told about plans for a character's death, the character usually survives. Deaths are always unexpected, that's Martin's way of writing, with twists and turns

While we don't see a character dead or being killed always had a chance he is alive. So Theon is far from condemned to die. But, as you said, George likes twists and turns and one way to crumble our expectations is establish a modus operandi and when the reader is used to it, do what he was not expecting, it would be unexpected for readers that follows him all this time.

So. He has written a lot and should at least have finished half the book, but he is still writing Theon.

He did not say he had finished half the book and "should haves" don't apply to GRRM.  We have no data here.  For all we know, this could be the sample chapter we know of already.

I've never thought he was really going to get executed, Bran is going to do something that saves him.  I do think he will die before the end, because the Ironborn would have no respect for Theon after everything that has gone on.

I think so too. The thing that keeps me puzzled is why? Simply for the sake of saving someone he grew up with or has he got a role to play?

I think so too. The thing that keeps me puzzled is why? Simply for the sake of saving someone he grew up with or has he got a role to play?

I definetly think he has his own role to play, not just as someone elses pawn. All this " what is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger" has got to apply to Theon. Here are my thoughts on it. http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/125572-Theon-the-drowned?

Sadly, upon reading the NYD post mention of Theon, I too imagined this could be the sample chapter we already have.   GRRM could be reshaping Theon's entire story at this point.   There simply is no way to know.   I hope not, I like the Theon sample chapter the best of all so far. 1 sentance or paragraph could change everything we suspect or expect from Theon.   

I too think Theon will avoid death for now. I think through whatever sequence of events, Asha works something out with either Stannis or Jon if he's brought back where they use Theon to usurp Euron and bring Ironborn support. Then he may die after he's been redeemed in his own eyes. 

Could very well be.  I recently reread Theon and remembered a few things that surprised me a bit--like his beheading the dying IB commander at Moat Cailyn--with a sword even.  I wrote Theon's ability to wield a sword off long ago, so this breathed a little hope into his end game for me.   Honestly that whole bit showed Theon's strength as Theon Greyjoy as subverted as it may be in the Reek identity. If you have a chance to reread it do so as that chapter is packed with interesting details.  Asha's offering herself up to be Stannis' man was also interesting on reread.   Could it be that Theon may have the opportunity to redeem himself in battle or in killing some key villain?  Asha hasn't forgotten her name at all and can still count her own usefulness to a battle commander.   Perhaps Theon in remembering his own name will be able to identify a few things he could be useful for?   He seems very pleased at pulling off rescuing Jeyne and is clear and strong internally about what she should say during her interview.   Theon surely has a very long and difficult road in front of him if he is to recover or build a new identity, but I trust that Asha will help him in this and we may actually see a Theon risen harder and stronger.   

I guess you're implying too much.

"A" chapter mans there are at least two chapters. In fact, there's the sample one, that is complete. There must be another,.... or more.

He was revising, so it means it was sooner. Probably, he's made minor changes in the story, which affect past events, foretelling expresions, and the sort.

This doesn't mean that Theon shall survive longer,... nor else.

"A" chapter mans there are at least two chapters. In fact, there's the sample one, that is complete. There must be another,.... or more.

You're right!  I've been saying that he could just be revising the sample Theon chapter but then he would have said "the" Theon chapter.

That means there is at least one more.  I'm really looking forward to that.  The Theon chapters from Dance have been my favorite parts of ASOIAF.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8 January 2016 at 6:13 PM, Cas Stark said:

I've never thought he was really going to get executed, Bran is going to do something that saves him.  I do think he will die before the end, because the Ironborn would have no respect for Theon after everything that has gone on.

Yup, me too. I think Theon will be taken before the heart tree, but before he gets the axe Bran will skinchange into him. The clues are all in the text. 

The way Martin writes, he is continually revising. He could be virtually done with the book, and still revising the opening Theon chapter.

So this in no way signifies that Theon sticks around for half the book. Besides, even with Theon getting executed, he no doubt has at least 2 or 3 chapters in the book, including the sample chapter that was released.

And given how many sample chapters we already have, and how we know that the first third or so of the book is going to be consumed mostly by the Battles of Meereen and the Ice Lake, Theon's execution could well only happen a couple of dozen chapters into the book in any case.

So basically, Martin's post tells us nothing worthwhile regarding Theon's potential longevity, or lack thereof.

Well tricky thing is fate of theon ı see two way a- people right about Euron and Bloodraven relationship so theon will iron island or wherehell is euron so Bran will lead theon against euron b- he is going to die in winds of winter before doing his purpose (stop euron ?) c- possible but harsh result and I know people dont want to this happen with help of theon current condition bran skinchange into theon and if this happen I wonder unlike hodor theon and bran can have conversatıon

Archived