GRRM blog post: Theon spoilers for WoW?

rozemarijn

You're right!  I've been saying that he could just be revising the sample Theon chapter but then he would have said "the" Theon chapter.

That means there is at least one more.  I'm really looking forward to that.  The Theon chapters from Dance have been my favorite parts of ASOIAF.

Not at all! Writing THE Teon chapter would've been a major spoiler and I can't see Martin doing that. He'd have used "a" even if there only was a single Theon chapter, or else he'd have implied Theon dies after the preview chapter, or at least loses his POV, so you can't take that as a clue, let alone a proof.

Anyway, I believe the released Theon chapter strongly implies that he still has much to do and his arc is not over... You don't "waste" a chapter like that on a doomed character, IMHO

On 2/12/2016 at 7:31 AM, Joao Gerardo said:

I've read the rumours about Martins co-author of WOW. I didn´t see a mention about that here. Anyone know something if this is possible real or just jornalists trying to appears up on AWOIAF sucess world?

Source:

http://www.christianpost.com/news/winds-of-winter-release-date-george-r-r-martin-bringing-in-co-author-to-finish-book-157413/

Maybe that's why Linda and Elio haven't made any new videos for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m sure I am wrong, but here goes some of my wild prognostications. 

·       Bran’s powers advance steadily even after Bran’s last POV in the middle of ADwD, and I have a thread wherein other scholars and I have “rooted out” language patterns, motif threads, parallels among character journeys, and much and more that seemingly point to what magic Bran learns and masters long after readers bid him farewell.

·       Bran divinely inspires Reek to reclaim Theon, and Theon’s prayer for mercy, strength, and courage are answered by the old gods who speak Theon’s name.

·       Here are just a few examples of how Bran inspires Reek to change:  When Reek first appears in ADwD, he “moved like an old man.  His flesh hung loosely on his bones, and Sour Alyn and Ben Bones said he twitched” [427].  Reek has difficulty climbing the steps leading to Lady Dustin’s home:  “Reek’s legs began to shake.  He had to stop to steady himself . . .” [433].  Lady Dustin asks Roose “Where is the boy [Reek]?  Is this old man his . . oh, gods be good” [433].  From a bent, broken, twitching, and shaking ghostly Reek Bran inspires Reek to eat regularly and to walk often, day and night to build up his endurance and tone atrophied muscles.  By Theon’s last POV, he has found the courage to betray Ramsay and the strength to intervene to save Jane, even hoisting her over his shoulder to climb an icy, treacherous ladder.  Theon then jumps with his terror-stricken load, rescuing Jane from Ramsay’s further abuse.

·       The whole scenario of rescuing the damsel in distress is reminiscent of a chivalric Knight who proves his honor by saving the fair maiden.  Bran infuses Theon with what Bran idealizes in knighthood.  [He lives vicariously through Theon!]

·       There’s  lots more as well!

Bran needs Theon at the heart tree as his conduit, a means of sending forth magic.  Although I do not see how Stannis will be moved by anything Theon says, even if Bran speaks through him.

Stannis needs an event to change his mind about executing the former Stark ward accused of betraying the Starks and of killing his foster brothers.  Since Bran has elementals he can control to demonstrate his earth-inspired magic for such an occasion, I predict Bran may stir up the wind, creating  swirling clouds of blinding snow to irritate the onlookers awaiting the spilling of blood.

Moreover, Bran will invoke tremors in the earth beneath the snow, opening fissures that yawn widely to swallow those unmoved by the snow squalls.  Finally, Bran will call forth the murder of ravens to peck out the eyes of those who remain unmoved by the greenseer’s performance.

The heart tree’s mouth will open wide to devour Theon in one bite – a pretense – Bran saves Theon,  After Theon disappears, all will settle.

I know, I know!  I own my flights of fancy – maybe my wishful thinking blinds my good jugement.

Regardless, I anticipate Bran intervening in some way to save Theon’s life.  Bran has suffered the deaths of his mom, dad, and brother Robb.  Hence, Bran has a vested interest in safeguarding Theon who is the closest living person he has to replace the brother killed at the RW [and maybe the brother killed at the Wall].

On 9 January 2016 at 1:07 PM, rozemarijn said:

I think so too. The thing that keeps me puzzled is why? Simply for the sake of saving someone he grew up with or has he got a role to play?

He's got a role to play, imo. Both indirectly and directly affecting events in the North. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/8/2016 at 1:43 PM, Arrow of the Morning said:

We don't know. It can be his last chapter and which he is executed. We have others POVs in the place he is, so he can die and other character replace him as POV.

While we don't see a character dead or being killed always had a chance he is alive. So Theon is far from condemned to die. But, as you said, George likes twists and turns and one way to crumble our expectations is establish a modus operandi and when the reader is used to it, do what he was not expecting, it would be unexpected for readers that follows him all this time.

Yeah, I really hope Theon just gets executed and that is it because I think it would be a fitting end to his arc - how powerful a lesson in that not every person gets a shot at redemption!  Also GRRM has become too predictable with the whole "this guy is about to die so now he will get to live" bit.  Things being as they seem from time to time make the sudden shifts more powerful.

34 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Yeah, I really hope Theon just gets executed and that is it because I think it would be a fitting end to his arc - how powerful a lesson in that not every person gets a shot at redemption!  Also GRRM has become too predictable with the whole "this guy is about to die so now he will get to live" bit.  Things being as they seem from time to time make the sudden shifts more powerful.

I thought like you. Then I saw a series of theories that the IB in the north are very anti euron. As these IB have hostages and are ocupying the north I could see them wanting to exchange stuff for theon so that he can nulify the kingsmoot.

If theon is really killed I would like that these IB would emigrate definitly to the north so that it becomes a mixture of wildlings, clansmen, northmen, queensmen and skavosi(?)... It would be na interesting development seeing someone (probably jon) uniting all these diferent people into a new northern kingdom.

16 hours ago, divica said:

I thought like you. Then I saw a series of theories that the IB in the north are very anti euron. As these IB have hostages and are ocupying the north I could see them wanting to exchange stuff for theon so that he can nulify the kingsmoot.

If theon is really killed I would like that these IB would emigrate definitly to the north so that it becomes a mixture of wildlings, clansmen, northmen, queensmen and skavosi(?)... It would be na interesting development seeing someone (probably jon) uniting all these diferent people into a new northern kingdom.

I'm aware of the theories regarding using Theon to call another Kingsmoot, and obviously GRRM has hinted that's where it's going with the reader telling Asha all about it and her pondering on it, but I hope not.  Realistically though, I expect Theon to live because I expect GRRM to do the opposite of what I want to happen in 90% of cases.

On 2/12/2016 at 4:31 PM, Joao Gerardo said:

I've read the rumours about Martins co-author of WOW. I didn´t see a mention about that here. Anyone know something if this is possible real or just jornalists trying to appears up on AWOIAF sucess world?

Source:

http://www.christianpost.com/news/winds-of-winter-release-date-george-r-r-martin-bringing-in-co-author-to-finish-book-157413/

LOL at using that site as a source. They're always posting silly articles with clickbait titles, which are actually made out of rehashed and half-accurately reported bits of info from other sites, rumors or speculation from social media, with maybe some added speculation of their own.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 0:20 PM, Lucius Lovejoy said:

I'm aware of the theories regarding using Theon to call another Kingsmoot, and obviously GRRM has hinted that's where it's going with the reader telling Asha all about it and her pondering on it, but I hope not.  Realistically though, I expect Theon to live because I expect GRRM to do the opposite of what I want to happen in 90% of cases.

Well, I want him to write the book, and he doesn't seem to be doing that. So I agree with you :) 

Archived