Larger Role in Jon's arc for Winds

This is pretty much what I'm thinking.  I think most of Jon's arc in WOW will be in Ghost north of the Wall, where he will see the heart of whatever is going on up there.  GRRM did say that we will learn more about The Others in this book, and I think this is the perfect way to do it.

Sort of agree, just not the bit about being in Ghost. I see him heading north with "a sword, a horse, a dog and a dozen companions" like the Last Hero did, as I imagine the NW will be destroyed and Stannis will be holding the Wall in its place once he's done with the Boltons.

• 3 months later...

Personally I think that Melissandre will see the pink letter, burn Shireen in an attempt to resurrect Stannis and the Wildlings, Val included will embrace the sacrifice. Val has shown nothing but contempt for Shireen because of her grayscale, going far enough to state she thinks the child should be killed.

On 1/7/2016 at 6:19 AM, DigUpHerBones said:

we have no idea what the BwB timeline is, or where one sect is compared to the next, or even which members are in each sect.

we have had no reference to where UnCat's band is since Feast...

feast's timeline is on the same as dance...so fair to say she's in the same place she was. the riverlands.

On 1/7/2016 at 6:51 AM, LCMormont_1529 said:

I've always been of the mind that The Others were actually going to attack the wall right as Winds opens up, seeing or sensing an opportunity due to the chaos. The only thing that makes me think that is Jon felt "only the cold." Every time the Others themselves show up it gets very cold (in the prologue of AGoT, Fist of the First Men, etc.) During that time, or immediately after their attack succeeds, Jon would be revived as a wight and a short time later his true self stuck in Ghost would return thereby creating the Ice magic version of UnCat, Beric, or based on your theory Mel...or another Coldhands.

Touching on the first part bolded, that was a dream Jon had. I always read that as a metaphor (hyperbole? I never know :blink:). Jon was clad in black ice and clutching a flaming sword. I read it as symbolizing his Valaryian steel sword rather than an actual sword.

The magic on the wall will remain strong so long as the brothers of the night's watch stay true....end of dance they just killed their lord commander...although this happened before so eh. I just think George has too much to do before the wall falls. THe north storylines must move a little farther

On 1/8/2016 at 11:43 AM, The Fattest Leech said:

If I was a Night's Watchman and I saw my leader get stabbed, die, body Popsicled in an ice cell for a bit, then set on fire among the holy crying trees THEN wake up and ask how long had be been napping... I'd tell him 5 minutes and offer some lemon water to freshen his breathe. 

Seriously though, if that did happen, I don't see too many people waving a contract in front of his face saying "can't leave, you promised." Clearly there are bigger and more important things to worry about including the Others and fiery dragons and a 700 foot wall crashing down, (and hopefully a literal ice dragon, but don't tell anyone I said that).

He died + he still protected you + the entire realm = debt paid.

My thoughts exactly. It will go to such shit that

1. No one's going to care. Chaos. The old hero of the long night wasn't from the watch, it didn't exist. He was just some guy who united everyone to battle the dead. It will get to the point that there is no watch and that this is exactly what they need. 

2. he already died so technically speaking his vows are gone (heard this argument ad nauseaum) More a technicality and of little actual relevance.

3. I think the part of him that changes upon resurrection will be his inability to give up the hard nosed honor that killed his father (uncle). He will realized some things that go against traditional fuedal honor must be sacrificed for the greater good; which in reality is more honorable i.e uniting the living against the dead, even if it means people calling him an oath breaker or wildling lover. Detailed analysis here:

Archived