Jon's Being Legitimized

ThePope

I think there's a Word of Martin to the effect that Legitimized Males are usually situationally evaluated in terms of their position in the succession. And I don't think there's any way to seriously argue that a legitimized male who is actually around would not be considered before a trueborn female who is missing and has been missing for years.
Successions can get messy quite quickly and easily.

Robb thought Arya was most likely dead, true. However, it doesn't matter whether or not Robb made specific provision for Arya, should she turn up alive - he specifically disinherited Sansa (to cut out any attempt to claim Winterfell through her by the Lannisters) and he also specifically named Jon as his heir in the absence of heirs of his body (his children). The specifically identifying Jon as his heir overrides the normal succession order. With Robb specifically legitimizing and specifically identifying Jon as Robb's heir (in the absence of Robb having children of his own), even if Bran or Rickon turned up, Jon would still be Robb's primary heir. I'll freely concede that Jon would most likely attempt to cede his position as Robb's heir to them, but the specific identification of Jon as being the heir after any hypothetical children of Robb overrides the normal order of succession.

14 hours ago, Warsaw said:

This is the 348659th thread about this. It's being much debated. Some think that being dead counts, some don't. We'll have to wait to see what do the people in the NW think.

But the whole "verbal confirmation" detail is VERY interesting. It can actually mean something.

That is precisely the definition of a bastard.

I'm seriously really interested in knowing what was your interpretation of the whole story without knowing that.

Ahahahahahahaha

Well maybe they went by the second definition in google. 

an unpleasant or despicable person

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2016 at 6:09 AM, SevasTra82 said:

I don't believe you can legitimize someone who isn't a bastard (I don't think a child out of wedlock is considered a "bastard" by Westerosi law, but I may be wrong?)  Once his true parentage comes out, he is technically heir to the Targaryen Dynasty (as, being Rhaegars son, makes him claim stronger then Danys).

yet there is still the sticky question of his older half brother Aegon who if the real deal has a better claim than either of them.

I'm just playing devils advocate. I think and believe that the white wolf will be the king of at least the northern kingdoms by the end of the books ruling from a rebuilt Harrenhal

On 1/11/2016 at 2:46 PM, Curled Finger said:

I don't recall any mention of Robb's will or Jon's potential legitimization on the show, but it's been a while too.   The books however, are either dangling the legitimization carrot or the whole thing is a huge red herring.   You've got all those suspicions about the will and then Stannis comes along and offers it all up on a silver platter.   Add to that all the blatant treachery Jon receives from his NW brothers...something's up, but I'm not 100% sure it's the legitimization.   I rather like the prospect of HR gathering all this information and having to determine what to do with it...what to publicize, what to make sure the GNC knows and what to make sure the BWB knows.   I still think Jon is the most important factor in all of it.   He's got to determine which role he can fulfill.  As an heir to the Targ dynasty he would have absolutely no clue what to do, but as heir to Winterfell he would have a marked advantage.  Certainly in order for Jon to even begin to deal with his Targ baggage he will have to be confronted with TPTWP prophesy and a couple of hugely important pacts.  I'm not at all sure that Jon would accept a role as heir to Winterfell so long as Sansa lives.    Ultimately he will have to learn that Arya isn't even in Westeros, much less married to Bolton.   But he may take an active role in securing Winterfell in the interim.   With the eminent reappearance of GreatJon Umber,the contents of Robb's will should come to light in Winds.   Jon Snow has bigger fish to fry than the politics of either the NW or Winterfell.    For all we know Robb's will does name Jon his heir and all that entails then frickin' Little Finger comes along to besmirch this honor & title with the truth about Jon's parents in a power grab for the North.   The Stark in Winterfell is a powerful political position.   I loathe the idea of Jon becoming entrenched in all this political play when he so clearly has important things to do.

The nights watch was a small playground or training camp for Jon to learn how to deal with various factions and political intrigue. I don't think that he was taught a very sharp lesson on politics and the game of thrones if he wasn't going to use it later.

Jon has to become involved in the poitics of the North and much later when Aegon and Dany become involved in the politics of the south as he's their most viable heir.

Archived