who is the truest hero, if there is one, in this very grey series

Kenton Stark

In a Series as dark and gritty as ASOIAF, with a world so full of complex , grey characters, Who is the truest hero, protagonist or "White Hat" in the series?

Duncan the Tall appeals on so many levels. Never knighted, but possibly the truest knight we've seen. Rescued as an orphan from flea bottom by a hedge knight, serves as a hedge knight all over the 7K with a future king as his squire, is involved on the winning side of some of the most important events in Westeros history, and on the losing side of one of the most tragic (Sumerhall). He ends up winning a trail by 7 that involved 3 princes, helps stop the 2nd BF rebellion, defeats the Laughing Storm, becomes lord commander of the Kinghsguard and is probably the ancestor to the hire of Tarth.  And that's just what we know so far...

Arthur Dayne the Sword of the Morning , the greatest knight of his generation, the man GRRM said with Dawn, was the greatest warrior in the series.

Davos, loyal everyman, father, worked his way up from the bottom to be the hand of the King

Ned- Again loyal, honorable to a fault,  dutiful father , Lord, warden, husband, brother, son and great military commander

Robb- Young Prince trying to do the right thing, winning every battle , losing the war

Baelor Breakspear- The greatest King that would have been but never was

Dany- Dragon Queen, breaker of chains, etc

Aemon the Dragon Knight- Defended his brother the King , who hated him at the cost of his life

Aemon of the Night's Watch, Always put his duty above his own desires

Stannis- with his unyielding, although twisted sense of Right and Wrong  

Jon- Set up to be the hidden Prince, the epitome of ASOIAF

Garlan- Great warrior, kind hearted, devoted family man

Jamie- because his redemption arc

Brienne-- The truest current knight alive, although not a knight

Your thoughts?

I think Martin may have answered this for us

On which “Game of Thrones” character he would play: “If I could magically clap my hands and become a different person, it would be cool to play Jon Snow, who is much more the classic hero. Everybody wants to be the classic hero, right? -Grrm quote

But Brienne,Davos have a strong case in the future. Possibly even over Jon.

Characters like Jaime and Theon may do something  truly heroic possibly even more than the likes of Jon and Brienne but dont think we can call them the true hero of the series anyways because of some deeds they performed before.

Bran, Dany may also challenge.

Duncan the Tall-He was cool until he betrayed Laughing Storm who effing saved his life for him for Egg's son's idiocy.

Arthur Dayne the Sword of the Morning-I love him but he is a moral coward.

Davos-Agree          

Ned-An idiot who allowed his wife to emotionally abuse an innocent child his whole life.

Robb- IDIOT!

Baelor Breakspear- Agree

Dany-She killed innocent people, some of them were children, she committed genocide and then she became a slaver herself.

Aemon the Dragon Knight-BORING and most likely a traitor...

Aemon of the Night's Watch-BORING

Stannis- The King who cared.

Jon-He is altruistic who always tries his best to help the others even if that means that he endangers himself.

Garlan- Nothing special.

Jamie- Attempted to kill a child and had no problem to kill another so he is out.

Brienne- Agree.

I like Davos as he is presented in the series, though he was a smuggler prior to that. So I think it is a mark against him despite the removal of the ends of his left hand fingers.

Brienne is great, almost loyal to a fault

Jon Snow is great, follows orders despite the appearance of dishonesty

Archived