who is the truest hero, if there is one, in this very grey series

Kenton Stark

In a Series as dark and gritty as ASOIAF, with a world so full of complex , grey characters, Who is the truest hero, protagonist or "White Hat" in the series?

Duncan the Tall appeals on so many levels. Never knighted, but possibly the truest knight we've seen. Rescued as an orphan from flea bottom by a hedge knight, serves as a hedge knight all over the 7K with a future king as his squire, is involved on the winning side of some of the most important events in Westeros history, and on the losing side of one of the most tragic (Sumerhall). He ends up winning a trail by 7 that involved 3 princes, helps stop the 2nd BF rebellion, defeats the Laughing Storm, becomes lord commander of the Kinghsguard and is probably the ancestor to the hire of Tarth.  And that's just what we know so far...

Arthur Dayne the Sword of the Morning , the greatest knight of his generation, the man GRRM said with Dawn, was the greatest warrior in the series.

Davos, loyal everyman, father, worked his way up from the bottom to be the hand of the King - No

Davos is loyal to Stannis, but that doesn't mean he's a good guy.  Don't forget, this guy was a smuggler.  He might have helped facilitate the slave trade indirectly.  Stannis is one of the bad guys and that is who Davos is serving. 

Ned- Again loyal, honorable to a fault,  dutiful father , Lord, warden, husband, brother, son and great military commander - No

He should have tried harder to prevent Robert from sending an assassin to Dany.  There's a very good chance that Ned cheated Jon the bastard out of Winterfell, according to Brandon+Lyanna=Jon theory.  I don't care for Jon, but still, the principle of it.

Robb- Young Prince trying to do the right thing, winning every battle , losing the war - No

Robb is one of the biggest pieces of shit in the story.  He betrayed Walder Frey, after the old man's son died in his service.  What a sorry piece of garbage Robb is.

Baelor Breakspear- The greatest King that would have been but never was - Maybe

Just because he was gallant and chivalrous does not mean he would have made a good king.  A good ruler, King or Queen, sometimes has to get his or her hands dirty and play the political games.  A good ruler will not risk herself, or himself, to help one person when she has bigger responsibilities.  A ruler is a big-time thinker, looking at the big picture.  Baelor, while brave and gallant to stand up for Dunk, made a piss poor decision to do so.  I give him the benefit of the doubt, because he is a Targaryen and I am a Targ-loyalists to the core. 

Dany- Dragon Queen, breaker of chains, etc - Yes

Gave freedom to 250,000 slaves in Meereen alone.  And working to further give freedom to millions for now and for the future.  She has done more for the good than anyone on A Song of Ice and Fire.

Aemon the Dragon Knight- Defended his brother the King , who hated him at the cost of his life - Maybe

We need more information.

Aemon of the Night's Watch, Always put his duty above his own desires - Yes

A true man of the Night's Watch and heroically tried to impart his knowledge to the bastard, Jon Snow.

Stannis- with his unyielding, although twisted sense of Right and Wrong  - No

I don't hate Stannis.  I just think he is one of the biggest hypocrites in the series, right behind Robb Stark and Jon Snow.

Jon- Set up to be the hidden Prince, the epitome of ASOIAF - No

Two-faced, hypocrite.  Betrayed the brothers who trusted him.  Broke the laws of the order he swore to serve and elected him leader.  He rewarded his brother's trust with betrayal. 

Garlan- Great warrior, kind hearted, devoted family man - No

His family framed an innocent dwarf and young woman.  Garlan is likely in on the plot.

Jamie- because his redemption arc - No

His attempts at redemption have yet to be put to the test.  I don't think this guy is sincere. 

Brienne-- The truest current knight alive, although not a knight - Yes

But she is serving a poor, unworthy cause. 

Other heroic characters:

Barristan Selmy - went astray for a little while, serving Usurpers and Lannisters.  Has since seen the error of his ways and is seeking to do the right thing and serve the rightful ruler of The Seven Kingdoms.

Greyworm - a truly unfortunate and abused young man, but now making the most of his fighting skills to serve a greater person with a very important mission.

The Halfhand - sacrificed his own life to help place the bastard within the wildling's trust, a true man of the NW.

Aegon the Conqueror - saw the waste and the untapped potential in Westeros, built The Seven Kingdoms, rid the land of evil men like Dondarrion and Harren. 

Vogarro's Whore - the widow of the waterfront, rose from poverty and wants to help the slaves of Volantis gain their freedom.

Visenya Targaryen - conquered the Vale of Arryn

Balerion, Meraxes, Vhagar, Drogon, Rhaegal, and Viserion

Davos, Brienne, Ned, Jon and Sam probably.

I was going to add Sam to the mix.   Until I can learn more about what Ned promised Lyanna and his intentions for Jon that jury's out on Ned being a white hat.   But Davos, Brienne and Sam are clearly the good guys here.   

Davos is loyal to Stannis, but that doesn't mean he's a good guy.  Don't forget, this guy was a smuggler.  He might have helped facilitate the slave trade indirectly.  Stannis is one of the bad guys and that is who Davos is serving. 

That's a pretty huge leap to make considering we have absolutely no evidence of anything like that at all. I think it's only fair to judge the characters based on what we actually know and not wild speculation pulled out of thin air. Also, Stannis isn't a "bad guy." Complicated, yes. You certainly are under no obligation to like him. But you can't call him "one of the bad guys." Ramsay and Gregor are bad guys lol

I don't get why Bran is overlooked in here. Because he can't walk and doesn't fight with a sword?

Bran is as important as Jon (even more), the story began with him (and I'm sure it will end with him).

Marin basically pointed out in the first novel - look at Bran, he's important (and even the TV series did it in season 1). So really, why do people here belittle him as a hero?!

By "white hat", do you mean people who are perfectly good, all of the time?  If so, this is the wrong story.  Ramsay Bolton has been a real turd all of his life, but if he  manages to stop the Others and kill the rogue lord commander Jon Snow, then many in the north would consider him a hero and basically just bury his sins.  His favorite recreation, hunting naked women, will be kept out of the history books by the grateful people he saved.  I would never consider him a hero, but then again, I'm not in the north and I'm in no danger from the White Walkers. 

Who are the heroes in this story?

1. Daenerys - like everyone said, she brought freedom to slaves, had the courage to walk in Drogo's funeral fire, and rode her dragon. 
  2. Brienne - I don't like Brienne and I find her very boring, but she keeps to her promises and she's willing to risk her life to find Catelyn's daughter.
  3. Barristan
  4. Samwell
  5. Tyrion

The main reason I enjoy ASOIAF so much is because GRRM pretty much blurs the boundary between "heroes" and "villains". Characters are not "black and white", as in most fantasy works, but, rather "shades of gray" - just as people in the real world.

Ugh.

Martin writes Black and White.

Gregor Clegane is not Grey. Ramsay Bolton is not Grey. The Bloody Mummers are not Grey. Walder Frey is not Grey. That bunch of necromantic ice demons heading south with an army of zombies is not Grey. It's a veritable Black Hat convention there.

Anyways, I'll say it... one that hasn't been mentioned much yet, but probably is the most heroic of the lot.

Samwell Tarly.

He has a heart of pure gold. He's the only one in the series to kill an Other. He risked life and limb to save a woman and her child over and over again. And of course he's locked in a struggle with the most powerful foe in the series, yet has managed to over come it each and every time: his own fear.

Archived