who is the truest hero, if there is one, in this very grey series

Kenton Stark

Davos-He was only an smuggler of food, he also save Edric Storm's life. He constantly  does the right thing. He is one of the few real heros.

Brienne-She is one

Samwell-he saved Gilly and is moral person

Tyrion-not an hero or antihero(he abused an female slave and vow to do something way worse than murder  to Cersei).

@Lame Lothar Frey

Davos is loyal to Stannis, but that doesn't mean he's a good guy. Don't forget, this guy was a smuggler. He might have helped facilitate the slave trade indirectly. Stannis is one of the bad guys and that is who Davos is serving. ~Provide one quoe from the book that Davos was involved with slave trade.

Gave freedom to 250,000 slaves in Meereen alone. And working to further give freedom to millions for now and for the future. She has done more for the good than anyone on A Song of Ice and Fire.~Along with commited genocide and becoming a slaver herself by taking money from the people who sold themselves to slaver because they couldn't live in the world she destroyed.

Other heroic characters:

Barristan Selmy~You mean the man who just watched when Aerys killed, tortured and raped? What a hero.

Aegon the Conqueror~You mean the man who used WMD to kill innocent people?

Visenya Targaryen~And the fath that she actually threated a mother with her son's life makes her a hero?

Balerion, Meraxes, Vhagar, Drogon, Rhaegal, and Viserion~So WMD who killed innocent people are heroes? I am not sure if you are trolling or serious.

Dany has never committed genocide. Mass murder, arguably, but not genocide.

Dany has never committed genocide. Mass murder, arguably, but not genocide.

genocideLine breaks: geno|cide
Pronunciation: /ˈdʒɛnəsʌɪd/ 

Definition of genocide in English:

noun

[MASS NOUN]
The deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular nation or ethnic group:

a campaign of genocide

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/genocide

In a place called freaking Slavers' Bay, slavery is a part of culture so it was a genocide. I don't even mention those 12 years old. 

Dany has the courage of a heroine. She has the empathy of a heroine.

Victarion has courage, doesn't make him a hero really. And I'm not so sure about the empathy part. I don't see Jon agreeing to "punish" a man who is as likely innocent as not like this

question the daughters sharply whilst the father looks on

without  some feeling of remorse or guilt.

Davos. Goes from smuggler to Hand, and might rise higher.

Admits to own faults; he knows he's a grey man. btw that self awareness sets him above Ned and Jon.

Has moral standards, and can work to achieve them, even if this means he has to get some people together and work behind his king's back (Edric).

He has guts, tells Stannis and Mel what he did with Edric. 

He can think beyond the Game.  He finds out about the situation at the Wall, and sends Stannis north.

In a place called freaking Slavers' Bay, slavery is a part of culture so it was a genocide. I don't even mention those 12 years old.

The enslavement of free people is a crime, regardless of whether or not it's part of the local culture. The rulers of Slavers Bay buy slaves from Dothraki and pirates who capture free men and women. Ending that does not fall into any definition of genocide.

Victarion has courage, doesn't make him a hero really. And I'm not so sure about the empathy part. I don't see Jon agreeing to "punish" a man who is as likely innocent as not like thiswithout some feeling of remorse or guilt.

Without doubt, that was a cruel and spiteful order.

The enslavement of free people is a crime, regardless of whether or not it's part of the local culture. The rulers of Slavers Bay buy slaves from Dothraki and pirates who capture free men and women. Ending that does not fall into any definition of genocide.

No one said that slavery was a good thing but to kill a large group of people because that was their own culture with no kind of trial or evidence, to order the death of 12 years old because the wore something is genocide. Let's not forget how she ended up making money from slavery and becoming a slaver herself.

I think ordering the death of every male in a tokar who looks like they are over 12 comes pretty close to the definition of genocide.  Not only does it ensure the women of that class are without any protection, it almost by definition ensures it will die out since there will be no men to marry..it's the same reason conquerors pretty much always kill the men and take the women and children as slaves....it destroys the culture and the society

Sometimes it is unintentional and sometimes it is necessary. I don't think Bran does it just for fun, IIRC.

He does sometimes do it for fun, to explore the cave, although he seems to think it's ok because Hodor doesn't fight him anymore. I think this is Bran edging towards a dark side.  He has the potential to be a hero but what he does with his power now will be crucial - will he develop the self awareness to keep him on the right track or will he continue to abuse his power?

I think the same is true for all the children of the series, Arya, Sansa, Rickon, (maybe even Tommen and Myrcella although I doubt they'll get a chance to do much ) - they have hero potential but they are still developing, in danger of going down a wrong path, and no-one can really say whether or not they will fulfill that potential.

My truest hero is Jon. He's not perfect, no-one in the series is perfect, that's why it's so good.  But Jon has made hard choices, saved countless wildlings even though no-one really supported him in that decision, turned down the very thing he always wanted (the chance of legitimacy and to be Lord of Winterfell) for the sake of his vows, sent away his closest friends for the benefit of one (Aemon, so that Mel wouldn't burn him) and for the long term benefit of the NW when Sam would return as a Maester, constantly balanced pragmatism and doing the right thing, with very little support, advice or assistance.

Also true heroes: Sam, Beric Dondarrion, Brienne - very moral characters who seek to do the right thing.

Sometimes it is unintentional and sometimes it is necessary. I don't think Bran does it just for fun, IIRC.

He does it for selfish reasons, because h wants legs and strengthand to explore. He HAS had a teacher already tell him that Hodor isnt just a mule: Luwin

I think ordering the death of every male in a tokar who looks like they are over 12 comes pretty close to the definition of genocide. Not only does it ensure the women of that class are without any protection, it almost by definition ensures it will die out since there will be no men to marry..it's the same reason conquerors pretty much always kill the men and take the women and children as slaves....it destroys the culture and the society

It's clear from subsequent events (Cleon coming to power by claiming that the Good Masters would return to power, and enslaving thousands of freeborn people) that loads of free people survived the killing at Astapor.

She can rightly be blamed for leaving the place in chaos.

No one said that slavery was a good thing but to kill a large group of people because that was their own culture with no kind of trial or evidence, to order the death of 12 years old because the wore something is genocide. Let's not forget how she ended up making money from slavery and becoming a slaver herself.

The vast majority of Masters were spared by Dany, and largely kept their property (slaves excepted).

The vast majority of Masters were spared by Dany, and largely kept their property (slaves excepted).

Kids were killed, most likely innocent people were killed and all that because she didn't agreed with their culture. As for their property should I remind you of the old lady? The one who lost her house because she was running in order to be safe from Dany?

Archived