The Case for Jon & Dany

Pod The Rod

If Jon is indeed the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, then a marriage between the two makes good  political sense, so long as Dany is able to bear children.

Dany is a Targaryen;  Jon is both a Stark and a Targaryen.  Houses that were loyal to either side in Robert's Rebellion can therefore rally to the new Royal Family.

Although the marriage would be incestuous, there is plenty of precedent for uncle/niece aunt/nephew marriage among royal families in real life.

Agree. I think there is good chance that Dany and Jon will work things out and a marriage would cement a reconciliation between both sides in RR. Even if Dany and Jon were not passionate about each other, their marriage does make sense politically.

If Jon is indeed the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, then a marriage between the two makes good  political sense, so long as Dany is able to bear children.

But whose child would she bear? It IS difficult to see her slipping back into marriage after the lifestyle she's lived. Unless she changes her behavior massively before reaching Westeros, her paternal unreliability will inevitably be used to undermine any heir she might birth. Her relationship history also makes her unappealing to most honorable lords, though Jon doesn't have that brand of honor and thus wouldn't mind. Still, Dany, a fidel wife, a stable dynasty, and a happily ever after... I don't think that's how the game works. She's got dragons, though! Damn, it's going to be a bloodbath when she arrives.

I can see it now: Tyrion takes Jon's hand and places it firmly atop Dany's, smiling, because attractive leads of the opposite sex are meant to be. It's, like, a rule of the universe or something. The lovers smooch, and burst out of the Sept of Baelor to a cheering crowd, Tyrion in tow. At first, people don't know what to make of this grotesque, stunted half-man, but then a cute little girl runs up and embraces him. Everyone's like, whoa, inner beauty and stuff, and they carry him away, continuing to shout in celebration. Rhaegal floods Drogon in champagne. Viserion floods everyone in tears. Ghost leaps into Dany's arms and slobbers over Jon's face. The end.

I can see it now: Tyrion takes Jon's hand and places it firmly atop Dany's, smiling, because attractive leads of the opposite sex are meant to be. It's, like, a rule of the universe or something. The lovers smooch, and burst out of the Sept of Baelor to a cheering crowd, Tyrion in tow. At first, people don't know what to make of this grotesque, stunted half-man, but then a cute little girl runs up and embraces him. Everyone's like, whoa, inner beauty and stuff, and they carry him away, continuing to shout in celebration. Rhaegal floods Drogon in champagne. Viserion floods everyone in tears. Ghost leaps into Dany's arms and slobbers over Jon's face. The end.

LOL! Make Reek the best man. Standing outside the consummation chamber, final sentence of the book:

"Reek, Reek, it rhymes with peak." He peaks through the gap in the door and feels a phantom cock tingle at the sight beheld.

Well no doubt a Jon and Dany union has the potential for being a barfworthy moment, if it isn't handled very well.

No, following Jon and Dany's joint coronation/wedding at Baelor's Sept, they encounter Tyrion and tell him, "my friend, you bow to no one" as the entire realm bows to the dwarf.  Return of the King (and Queen).

No, following Jon and Dany's joint coronation/wedding at Baelor's Sept, they encounter Tyrion and tell him, "my friend, you bow to no one" as the entire realm bows to the dwarf.  Return of the King (and Queen).

LOL.:lol: Should I invest in barf bags now or should I wait a bit?

But whose child would she bear? It IS difficult to see her slipping back into marriage after the lifestyle she's lived. Unless she changes her behavior massively before reaching Westeros, her paternal unreliability will inevitably be used to undermine any heir she might birth. Her relationship history also makes her unappealing to most honorable lords, though Jon doesn't have that brand of honor and thus wouldn't mind. Still, Dany, a fidel wife, a stable dynasty, and a happily ever after... I don't think that's how the game works. She's got dragons, though! Damn, it's going to be a bloodbath when she arrives.

There's no reason to believe that Dany would be unfaithful, even if their marriage was a purely political arrangement.  She'd know perfectly well that any child of theirs would have to be acknowledged as legitimate in order to succeed to the IT.

Not quite the end.  Tyrion, at this stage, is very badly drunk, staggers up to the happy couple, and makes some ill-judged joke about Dany's private parts being open to half of Essos.  There's an uncomfortable silence.  Then "Drogon;  dinner!"

There's no reason to believe that Dany would be unfaithful, even if their marriage was a purely political arrangement.  She'd know perfectly well that any child of theirs would have to be acknowledged as legitimate in order to succeed to the IT.

Even if she did become chaste, though, a promiscuous history is an excuse for her opponents to claim her child is a bastard. Perhaps it isn't a huge matter, but she's messed up some. Daario appeared to be the root of her failure with Hizdhar. Gods, spelling. Westerosi isn't her culture, see. Westerosi marriage isn't something she appears prepared or suited for. Its a pity the story won't be longer in timespan to allow such things to play out. The problem setting her up with a high lord is also her virginity, and that's why it was such a mistake giving her to Drogo, because it isn't a small thing. Honorable highborn men won't want her unless there's huge political incentive. Though there aren't many honorable highborn men left! It might become relevant with Aegon, though. I'm interested to see what Aegon thinks of Arianne, though. Martin DID make these customs in Westerosi culture and underscored them with things like the Jon Arryn / Lysa fiasco, but he too often abandons them for the sake of adding cheap sex thrills and pleasing feminists. Whatever. They're his books. But the cultural inconsistencies are fucking grinding! Sometimes Westeros is portrayed as super conservative, other times the place appears to have no moral substance whatsoever. Annoying. Sorry I didn't hit enter to break the wall of text. LOL

OH MY GOD DANY'S NOT A VIRGIN THEREFORE SHE HAS NO POLITICAL FUTURE!!!!

And if she does GRRM is just being inconsistent and pleasing the feminists! 

WTF. Dany has dragons. And she's about to have all the Dothraki. Anyone taking issue with her sexual history can take it up with Drogon or any number of khals. Dany needs zero amount of marriage to take over Westeros, and if she does make a marriage alliance it will be about the power she herself brings to the table, not about her virginity. 

Jesus H. Christ.

The feminists have already ruined everything, sorry, there's no going back now. 

Although I do not think people will be picky on dany's love affairs, I do feel it is impossible to see her marry two husbands at the same time. 

Grrm would not write like this because it will be impossible to figure out who is real father unless she stays with each husband then after a few months, prove no pregnancy, then stays with another one. It is quite ridiculous. 

It is more possible that jon married two wives though. 

Even if she did become chaste, though, a promiscuous history is an excuse for her opponents to claim her child is a bastard. Perhaps it isn't a huge matter, but she's messed up some. Daario appeared to be the root of her failure with Hizdhar. Gods, spelling. Westerosi isn't her culture, see. Westerosi marriage isn't something she appears prepared or suited for. Its a pity the story won't be longer in timespan to allow such things to play out. The problem setting her up with a high lord is also her virginity, and that's why it was such a mistake giving her to Drogo, because it isn't a small thing. Honorable highborn men won't want her unless there's huge political incentive. Though there aren't many honorable highborn men left! It might become relevant with Aegon, though. I'm interested to see what Aegon thinks of Arianne, though. Martin DID make these customs in Westerosi culture and underscored them with things like the Jon Arryn / Lysa fiasco, but he too often abandons them for the sake of adding cheap sex thrills and pleasing feminists. Whatever. They're his books. But the cultural inconsistencies are fucking grinding! Sometimes Westeros is portrayed as super conservative, other times the place appears to have no moral substance whatsoever. Annoying. Sorry I didn't hit enter to break the wall of text. LOL

Plenty of lords in Westeros marry women who have been previously married, or who have had lovers in the past.    How many men would turn down the chance to marry a beautiful Queen, and dragon-rider, simply because she wasn't a virgin?

There's no reason to believe that Princess Arianne, Myranda Royce, or Amerei Frey would have difficulty finding a lordly husband.

With all the crap that is about to go on in Westeros and the potential upside to a Dany and Jon match, I don't see Dany's prior sex life being a big issue.
Maybe somebody like Tywin Lannister might grumble about Dany's sex life, while on his way to a brothel.

Although I do not think people will be picky on dany's love affairs, I do feel it is impossible to see her marry two husbands at the same time. 

Grrm would not write like this because it will be impossible to figure out who is real father unless she stays with each husband then after a few months, prove no pregnancy, then stays with another one. It is quite ridiculous. 

It is more possible that jon married two wives though. 

I doubt either of those things is going to happen. But if Dany married, say, both Jon and Aegon, then the fact that they are all close relatives means it might not particularly matter who the father of any of her children is. They'd all be Targs either way. But if Dany married, IDK, Daario and Edric Dayne, then yeah paternity would be an issue for people. Unless Dany is so powerful by that point that the kid being hers matters much more than who the father is. Hard to imagine Westeros ever becoming that open minded though, Snowpocalypse or no. 

But I'm not really thinking that's a likely scenario anyway. 

(And I super doubt Jon will have two wives--too Wheel-of-Time-ish.)

I doubt either of those things is going to happen. But if Dany married, say, both Jon and Aegon, then the fact that they are all close relatives means it might not particularly matter who the father of any of her children is. They'd all be Targs either way. But if Dany married, IDK, Daario and Edric Dayne, then yeah paternity would be an issue for people. Unless Dany is so powerful by that point that the kid being hers matters much more than who the father is. Hard to imagine Westeros ever becoming that open minded though, Snowpocalypse or no. 

But I'm not really thinking that's a likely scenario anyway. 

(And I super doubt Jon will have two wives--too Wheel-of-Time-ish.)

I do not think either jon or dany will have two spouses. It is sort of funny. Does not fit the style of book. 

But if it has to happen, then jon is more possible than dany. 

I highly doubt that people do not care who is the real father even she married aegon and jon. Neither aegon and jon. They would certainly want to support their own kid. It is quite embarrassing to have no idea this is his kid or the other man's kid. 

lol no.

Jon Arryn X Lysa was about politics not about sexual conservatism - the latter was only the Excuse Hoster used to make his heinous actions seem more acceptable.  What he wanted was a strong political connection to the Rebels.  In fact Lysa being proven Fertile was a BONUS for Arryn.  Hoster could and probably should have gotten a match for his second daughter with someone her own age, perhaps one of his bannermen.  LP daughters were a rare commodity in those days.

And I think it's hilarious you believe Dany would be treated like any other woman in Westeros when it comes to her marriage prospects (in the event it even comes up).  If she's on the fucking throne no one will care.  It's clear that like in the real world this kind of shit matters only when there's some other issue.  Like how Aegon will give exactly zero fucks about Ariannes sexual history.  And how everyone and their dad wants to marry Asha Greyjoy (even in absentia). And how Hizdar and the GG want a Hizzy baby out of Dany ASAP so they can get rid of her (that's why they are concerned about her sexual history). 

As for "cheap sex thrills" - People have sex, get over it, is what GRRM would say to you (and in fact what his text says). 

I do not think either jon or dany will have two spouses. It is sort of funny. Does not fit the style of book. 

But if it has to happen, then jon is more possible than dany. 

I highly doubt that people do not care who is the real father even she married aegon and jon. Neither aegon and jon. They would certainly want to support their own kid. It is quite embarrassing to have no idea this is his kid or the other man's kid. 

It's only embarrassing if you think it's important who is who's kid. If both were married to Dany, there shouldn't be an issue of each wanting to support his own kid. Because they are all one family and all of the trio's kids, regardless of daddy, are royal. One of the fathers supporting one of the kids over the other would only cause strife. In fact that's exactly the sort of thing that started the Dance of Dragons. 

In this case not knowing who is who's could actually make a much smoother succession, as there is now no way of knowing who is of pure Targ and who is of Blackfyre descent. In that light Dany marrying both Aegon and Jon would actually be an elegant way to solve the Blackfyre issue for good. (Not that I think this will happen.)

lol no.

Jon Arryn X Lysa was about politics not about sexual conservatism - the latter was only the Excuse Hoster used to make his heinous actions seem more acceptable.  What he wanted was a strong political connection to the Rebels.  In fact Lysa being proven Fertile was a BONUS for Arryn.  Hoster could and probably should have gotten a match for his second daughter with someone her own age, perhaps one of his bannermen.  LP daughters were a rare commodity in those days.

And I think it's hilarious you believe Dany would be treated like any other woman in Westeros when it comes to her marriage prospects (in the event it even comes up).  If she's on the fucking throne no one will care.  It's clear that like in the real world this kind of shit matters only when there's some other issue.  Like how Aegon will give exactly zero fucks about Ariannes sexual history.  And how everyone and their dad wants to marry Asha Greyjoy (even in absentia). And how Hizdar and the GG want a Hizzy baby out of Dany ASAP so they can get rid of her (that's why they are concerned about her sexual history). 

As for "cheap sex thrills" - People have sex, get over it, is what GRRM would say to you (and in fact what his text says). 

Suppose one is an important lord in Westeros, and given the opportunity to marry Daenerys, or Arianne.  The pros are that they're beautiful, multi-millionaires, and will propel your family to new heights of influence.  The con is that they aren't virgins.  I think that's the kind of decision that makes itself.

Archived