Will Sandor dig graves or be placed in one? Spoilers!

madhikun

Reading up on Sandor Clegane and I come across this line when he's explaining his banner to Sansa:

"A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he’ll look you straight in the face.”

As we all know, Sandor is probably the only one in the entire series who has not lied to Sansa. Also multiple times, if not every time, he makes sure Sansa is always looking straight at him when he speaks to her.

Now as many of us theorize, he currently is the peaceful gravedigger Brienne sees, reborn after his near-death when Arya leaves him.

So do you think this is where his story ends? Or will we have a Sansa-Sandor reunion where he dies for her? Or, does his near death count as dying for her because he got so drunk off her marriage to Tyrion, which is why he lost the fight?

Sandor's probably my second favorite character next to Dany, so I'm excited to know what you guys think!

I'm a bit perplexed as to your two favorite characters -- not that it's a bad thing -- but I imagine we haven't seen the last of him.

Ahaha people call me eclectic, usually.

I remember asking GRRM if the Hound will make an appearance again. His answer is as vague as possible as usual.hE6uaDf.png

You gotta love George!

Thank you for replying! :3

If Sandor ever leaves the QI he might die Arya. Or he might die for for Sansa and she will shed a tear or two for him. I believe that Sansa is far more important for Sandor's story than he is for her story, there  lies his tragedy.

Or Sandor might die because of Sansa. She might try to make use of his devotion and he might realize this. And so they might find themselves on different sides and yet he refuses to fight her. Tragedy again.

But I believe Sandor's relationship to Arya is the more important one because it is a relationship based on respect between equals. Arya is no little bird for him but a fighter in her own way.  So if Sandor has to die for someone then it would be more satisfying if he died to save Arya. Or better: if he simply saves her and returns to he QI in peace. Only I think if he ever leaves the island he is doomed.

If Sandor ever leaves the QI he might die Arya. Or he might die for for Sansa and she will shed a tear or two for him. I believe that Sansa is far more important for Sandor's story than he is for her story, there  lies his tragedy.

Or Sandor might die because of Sansa. She might try to make use of his devotion and he might realize this. And so they might find themselves on different sides and yet he refuses to fight her. Tragedy again.

But I believe Sandor's relationship to Arya is the more important one because it is a relationship based on respect between equals. Arya is no little bird for him but a fighter in her own way.  So if Sandor has to die for someone then it would be more satisfying if he died to save Arya. Or better: if he simply saves her and returns to he QI in peace. Only I think if he ever leaves the island he is doomed.

Wouldn't that be sad! Sansa finally becomes the politician he always thought she couldn't be, and he's killed because of it. Although I don't find him to be dumb enough to fall for her tricks either. Also I don't think Sansa would think she could trick Sandor, being as he has always seen through her before.

With Arya, I don't believe she ever thought of Sandor again (isn't it funny? He was always a part of her killing prayer, but she never took the one good chance she had.) Whereas with Sansa, the Hound is the one person she continually thinks of. Though you can argue that it might muddle their relationship if they ever were to meet again. Also with Arya, now that she knows how to give the gift, she might actually pay him a visit...

Wouldn't that be sad! Sansa finally becomes the politician he always thought she couldn't be, and he's killed because of it. Although I don't find him to be dumb enough to fall for her tricks either. Also I don't think Sansa would think she could trick Sandor, being as he has always seen through her before.

With Arya, I don't believe she ever thought of Sandor again (isn't it funny? He was always a part of her killing prayer, but she never took the one good chance she had.) Whereas with Sansa, the Hound is the one person she continually thinks of. Though you can argue that it might muddle their relationship if they ever were to meet again. Also with Arya, now that she knows how to give the gift, she might actually pay him a visit...

He was out of her prayer before he died.  She may have said she wouldn't give him mercy, but I think the truth is that she couldn't.

I do believe Sandor will leave the Quite Isle, but I cannot figure out his plot exactly.  Sandor has always been a candidate of mine for a  dragon slayer, but seeing as how undead people seem to be vulnerable for fire, UnGregor would seem to be he ultimate test anyway.  It is entirely possible they die on each others swords as a repeat of Eryck and Arick during the original Dance, both have been on the Kingsguard now.

Hm, true, Sandor is a candidate for dragonslayer. Can a man be brave even if he is afraid? This is the only time.....

Sandor is afraid of fire and he might fight a dragon despite his fear. In the end dragons may become awful weapons of mass destruction. Tyrion knows how to kill them and Sandor may  be part of the execution. After Sandor made that hatespeech about Tyrion ( and Lollys) about those who cannot defend themselves - they should die and get out of the way of those who can - we can expect him to turn around. These two might work grudgingly together in the end.

Maybe any link between Sansa and Sandor is grossly overrated in its story importance, by me as well, and Sandor's path goes elsewhere 

As I see Sandor's coming story it should intersect at the very least with Arya and Sansa.   Though I believe Arya is his traveling partner and they are destined to spend more time together than he will spend with Sansa.   I don't think Sansa will need him as badly as she did in King's Landing.  (Then again, Lady is gone and who am I to say he doesn't hold this place in Sansa's story?)   Whereas I think he and Arya have a great deal to offer each other as companions.   I am hoping that in shedding The Hound Sandor has achieved a better outlook on life, chivalry, honor--all the things he was so obviously made for.  Arya's exquisite training as an assassin may also be of value to Sandor.  Though I expect Sandor to teach Arya what the gift of mercy truly means.    Certainly he's already come in contact with a flaming sword and is in a unique position to identify or activate another should his knowledge be required.  I expect big things out of this guy when he gets off the island.   

Am I the only one who doesn't want Sandor to show up again in a big way? Not that I don't like the character but I thought the way his storyline ended (or "ended") was pretty satisfying, and there's too many people coming back from the dead (or "the dead") already. 

And lately I've been thinking how badass it'd be if he got the epilogue of aDoS and showed up till then. 

Sansa is in LFs orbit because she thinks that he is helping her. She doesn't entirely trust him (she notes that his eyes never reflect the feelings that he speaks) but she does seem to trust him to a degree. Sandor can break this with the knowledge that LF betrayed Ned to his death (Sandor was in the throne room when it happened). LF will have a tale as always but Hounds don't lie so I think that Sansa will believe Sandor over LF.

Sandor will come off the QI looking for the man who sacked Saltpans in the guise of "the Hound" to clear his name unaware that he was killed by the BwB while fighting Brienne. That will lead him the the BwB and Brienne with knowledge pertinent to the unfulfilled quest to return Cat's daughters safely to the North. When Sandor parted with Arya he was under the belief that she would continue to trek for the Vale to connect with Lyssa (he doesn't know she went to Braavos). I think the Sandor and Brienne will go to the Vale looking for Arya and find Sansa instead. Probably at the tourney that her WoW POV showed her preparing for. That's my guess anyway.

Reading up on Sandor Clegane and I come across this line when he's explaining his banner to Sansa:

"A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he’ll look you straight in the face.”

As we all know, Sandor is probably the only one in the entire series who has not lied to Sansa. Also multiple times, if not every time, he makes sure Sansa is always looking straight at him when he speaks to her.

Now as many of us theorize, he currently is the peaceful gravedigger Brienne sees, reborn after his near-death when Arya leaves him.

So do you think this is where his story ends? Or will we have a Sansa-Sandor reunion where he dies for her? Or, does his near death count as dying for her because he got so drunk off her marriage to Tyrion, which is why he lost the fight?

Sandor's probably my second favorite character next to Dany, so I'm excited to know what you guys think!

Sandor and Dany are my two favorite characters, too.

I think Sansa may go to him, or he may go to her, she hears about him at the tourney, or he comes to her there. I think saying he will die for her but never lie to her was saying he would protect her and be true. But they will have more story together, and it will be good.

(I also think there's more story for Dany with Daario... Maybe he'll ride a dragon before it's all over.)

Archived