10 Cloverfield Lane

Spockydog

Even more fun, there's a fourth one, with the working title Overlord, which will involve Nazi zombies in WWII. Apparently this one was planned from the start to be part of the Cloververse, so it may be a bit more coherent in its connections.

Cloverfield Lane didn't have anything to do with Cloverfield, so I doubt it matters. It's a great film, but it's really a standalone.

Not strictly true. The movie's ending places it in the same multiverse as the others.

I'm starting to think the Cloververse came out of JJ Abrams' plan (now apparently on hold) to make films based on the Half-Life and Portal worlds. They've got that same universe-hopping, small-scale weirdness to them, but a lot less overt SFF elements.

6 minutes ago, Werthead said:

so it may be a bit more coherent in its connections

That would not be much of an achievement.  Honestly, you could tack on a 1 second shot of a giant Cloverfield monster to the end of Interstellar and it would have made just as much sense.

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

Did it though? There are aliens sure, but they seem to be totally different to the Cloverfield monster.

Yeah, the youtube/Cloverfield community seems to think the only way the three movies could logically be connected is if each installment portrays an alternate universe.  None of the dates, locations, events, monsters sizes, etc match up between the three.

16 hours ago, Werthead said:

Even more fun, there's a fourth one, with the working title Overlord, which will involve Nazi zombies in WWII. Apparently this one was planned from the start to be part of the Cloververse, so it may be a bit more coherent in its connections.

That explains how everything is connected.

All of the monsters attacking these worlds are actually the opening salvos of a Nazi zombie invasion from a different dimension.

Alucard called it.

Saw this tonight, and despite having been pretty much primed to hate it, I really quite enjoyed it. If you can get past the plot holes and the cliches well-worn tropes, it's a lot of fun. It also features far better characters than any of the recent Alien movies.

As for its links to the Cloververse, it works for me. I thought the creature we saw at the end looked just like the one that destroyed New York, except much, much bigger.

A solid 6.5 out of 10.

On 2/5/2018 at 8:31 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

So the 3rd movie in the franchise titled The Cloverfield Paradox came out on Netflix yesterday 2 hours after the first trailer came out during Superbowl!! :wacko: Anyone seen it yet?

Anyway, the critics have been very scathing in thier reviews.

It was decent. I've seen much better (10 Cloverfield Lane, for example), but it wasn't nearly as bad as the critics say. In fact, to say we have a lot of film critics anymore is difficult considering the caliber of work they do. I hear/read a lot of critics say, "I hear it's bad, so I'm not watching that piece of crap." That's not what critics are supposed to do.

Either way, I liked Paradox enough, and the ending really made me like it.

On 2/5/2018 at 0:24 PM, Ramsay B. said:

I just watched Paradox and it was ok. It started out decent enough but gets pretty messy as it continues. I was bored by the end.

Reveal hidden contents

And the gyro thing was found because the loose arm told them somehow! Wtf? It's like they were trying to make scenes weird for weird's sake. It was an interesting concept but not excuted very well.

I think that's the biggest problem--it loses steam. 

Spoiler

About halfway through, I feel like you know what's going to happen, who will survive, who will betray, etc. I suppose the German scientist surviving with the main character was a bit surprising as he had "expendable crew" written all over him but that wasn't enough to be surprising. In fact, if, like, half the crew survived, it would have been much more interesting to me.

I watched 10 Cloverfield Lane and Cloverfield Paradox for the first time this weekend. I saw the original Cloverfield only a few months ago, and I didn't like it that much; seemed like an average, mid-tier monster movie with too much shaky cam. I really liked Lane though, I thought it was a well-done tense movie, with really solid performances and I thought the ending tied nicely back to the original movie. I could tell the connection was added in re-writes and re-shoots, but I thought they did a nice job with it. OTOH, Paradox was bad; it seemed like a bad remake of Event Horizon from the start and the connections to Cloverfield both made no sense and were poorly done.

I watched Cloverfield Paradox over the weekend, and was not impressed. I agree with everyone else who said that it turned into a mess as the plot advanced, but even the first act was weak.

Spoiler

Also, it's been awhile since I've seen Cloverfield, but I don't recall any mass energy crisis going on. People in NYC were partying, no concern for consumption of electricity, but the premise of this movie starts with the energy crisis.

48 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

I think that's the biggest problem--it loses steam. 

Reveal hidden contents

About halfway through, I feel like you know what's going to happen, who will survive, who will betray, etc. I suppose the German scientist surviving with the main character was a bit surprising as he had "expendable crew" written all over him but that wasn't enough to be surprising. In fact, if, like, half the crew survived, it would have been much more interesting to me.

I didn't find it that surprising because 

Spoiler

Daniel Bruhl was the first billed actor, though considering how much time, or lack thereof, was given to his character, maybe he should have died, and the Chinese lady could have lived instead. Unfortunately, because of the setup, one of the characters who knew how to operate the collider had to survive, at least until the return to Earth.

36 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I watched Cloverfield Paradox over the weekend, and was not impressed. I agree with everyone else who said that it turned into a mess as the plot advanced, but even the first act was weak.

Hide contents

Also, it's been awhile since I've seen Cloverfield, but I don't recall any mass energy crisis going on. People in NYC were partying, no concern for consumption of electricity, but the premise of this movie starts with the energy crisis.

So what I thought was going to happen was:

Spoiler

That Paradox took place in a future where Cloverfield and Lane never happened; basically our future as we know it. But because of whatever weird dimensional stuff they were doing to get energy (side note: what's wrong with solar, wind, and geo-thermal?), it'd result in clovers appearing the past and causing the events of the first two movies. So Paradox would be a prequel that took place in the future.

But they didn't do that. Instead, either the internal logic of the series is totally out of whack, or Paradox takes places in an alternate dimension from the other movies and is not connected to them in any way.

Archived