Oathkeeper and the fact that it was forged from Ice. Do you guys think this is plot relevant?

Morgana Lannister

10 hours ago, matsuki said:

Possibly but that's also assuming no other blades out there share that same red coloring like Oathkeeper....just because we haven't heard of them doesn't mean they don't exist. There are Valaryian steel Arakhs and other objects out there, definitely plenty more unknowns. Besides, unless one draws their sword, all you'll see is the hilt anyway. Hidden enough, no?

I would say not.

Oathkeeper (and WW) doesn't just have red, it has ripples that were unintended by the forger, because the blade itself refused to hold the colour. There are no other blades like them.

And changing the hilt is certainly not enough. It is kind of strange to assume the sword would never be drawn. Longclaw's hilt change was not intended as a way to hide the sword. It is still Longclaw, just a different clawed creature on the hilt.

Finally, this discussion rather misses the point, because a merger would not be ONLY about hiding Blackfyre, but it would also be about symbolic conquest. Aegon would benefit from the symbolism of reworking the sword of the king he conquered.

No doubt Oathkeeper is used in defending Sansa at some point. Perhaps even locating Arya after she leaves the HoB&W. 

I wonder if it will end up intersecting with Jon at some point.He's an Oathbreaker, and will need to turn around and fight the WWs to keep his oath, or be put to death for breaking it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Crackpot:

I think after the next 'tempering' through the final sacrifice, the sword will be Lightbringer, and I think it will be wielded by Jaime. He had that dream of being below Casterly Rock holding the sword and it had flames licking up the blade. This would be shocking, and it would make Jaime the knightly hero for the White Book that he so longs to be. It will also be ironic that he now fights left-handed, but with his special sword. 

I think Jaime will have a bigger part to play and die a hero. A LB wielding hero. I think Jaime will redeem himself once he finds out the true heir to the throne by going to that person's side to make up for what he did during the sack of KL with Aerys. He will do heroic deeds and die a hero's death after pledging service to his 'rightful king.' 

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 2:59 PM, Morgana Lannister said:

Oathkeeper and the fact that it was forged from Ice.  Do you guys think this is plot relevant?

I have been wondering about this for a while, especially since the plot is now looking towards a confrontation between Brienne and Jaime versus UnCat and I just feel that the fact that it was made from Ned's sword is more than a coincidence.

I sort of have a gut feeling, but not as yet terribly substantiated, that Oathkeeper will eventually kill UnCat for good.  I don't expect it to happen straight away when Jaime and Brienne met with her next because I feel there is more to UnCat's arc yet to be revealed but it wouldn't surprise me either if one of her daughters wouldn't be found, at this stage not likely yet though, unless it is Sansa in TWOW and her being the person yielding it.  Saying this because no matter how much we might all love our dearest departed family members I don't think many of us, once some grieving has taken place, would want them back like that.  One of the reasons also that I am dreading how Jon is to come back... but I am digressing.  Also, George said that Sansa will have a "controversial" chapter in TWOW.  This is more likely to involve Littlefinger and probably an attempt to kill Robin or something of that ilk but still I wonder...  Killing her own undead mother would also make her story a little parallel to Tyrion's although her motives would be more morally acceptable, although whether this is relevant or not would depend on who she is destined to end up with or this parallel would not make a great deal of sense.  Also I have an incline that the Hound (still alive and not undead) will kill Robert Strong, another kinslaying parallel...

What leads me to this is a little hard to explain convincingly as it all seems very far fetched and many things would have to come together for it to be the case.  However, we know that you kill Whitewalkers with fire (or obsidian), now how does one kill undeads resulting from the Lord of Light (and fire)'s intervention?  My guess is that, given the name of the series, is ice.  Obviously not ice in the conventional way, like being at the Wall wouldn't kill them I don't think but a sword with a name like that???  I don't expect for a moment either that these two swords forged from one simply named Ice because I guess it had to have a name would be the only thing that can kill them, there has to be something else too but no idea what just yet,   Still, I think this sword is likely to serve a purpose other than just being a token of friendship/love from Jaime to Brienne.

Whatever your thoughts, guys, would love to hear them. ;)

Sorry to go back to page 1, been away from the forums awhile. The part in bold bothered me a little though. There is nothing special needed to "kill" the people brought back by the Lord of Light's intervention. Remember Beric was revived 6 or 7 times, which means he died that many times. These are not zombies, they are brought back to life. LSH looks like a zombie because of her wounds from the RW and the fact that she floated in the river for awhile while dead. Her being brought back gave her life but did not take away the slash to her throat or her other wounds.

On 16/1/2016 at 4:15 PM, Hippocras said:

So the Stark sword Ice was split.

The result was two Lannister swords. I believe one or both of these swords will be used at some point to kill a Lannister. Jamie is clearly a potential candidate for this (if he is not the Valonqar). So also is Tommen. I can very easily see that the Tyrells are the new Lannisters, and will betray them echoing the Lannister betrayal of Aerys. I predict Tommen will be killed with Widow's Wail.

This split could also work in another way.

Ice as a sword has a double character. It is the hero-sword of the Kings of Winter (at least the latest of them), the sword that defeated Dawn (one way or another ....), the sword of a legendary family with high principals and his last owner tried his hardest to be honest and true to his oaths. But it is also Ice, the cold sword that is used repeatedly as an instrument of execution (even against Garth who is accepted as a worthy warrior or against Lady who was innocent), it is the sword that belongs to a family that also has a history of wild acts and cruelty and that it killed its owner in the end. 

This double character could be split in the two new swords. Oathkeeper is the honourable side, and Widow Maker is the darker side of the old sword. If this is true, then the split cannot remain only in the name but it must extend in at least one of the events in which each of the 2 swords will participate (and these events might involve some of the remaining Starks). The possibilities are various and not far away from what has been discussed here.

• 1 month later...

I don't think the steel from Ice could be reformed with any other steel other than from the WW and Oathkeeper.  Due to the distinctive coloring.  No one has seen steel like that before.  To me, this suggests the process was flawed.  Granted, it is still superior to regular castle forged steel, but I suspect still not up to par with true VS.  Plus the fact that Tobho Mott basically said it was a huge pain in the ass to forge the two blades because the steel wanted to return to its original form.  And if Ice is reformed, I highly doubt it will be Gendry. He does not have the skill.  He was an apprentice.  Mott would have not begun to teach him such a coveted skill till he mastered regular smithing.  He sure as hell isn't learning that making arrow points and beating dents out of hedge knights armor at the defacto orphanage. I suspect Gendry's role will be that of a solid warrior in the wars to come.  His father was a warrior and he made himself a helm.  That is telling in my book.

Dawn is Lightbringer.  It is the most straightforward metaphor and the only truly unique sword on Planetos.

Lightbringer does not need to be forged.  It needs to be found or rediscovered.  

On 26.1.2016 at 6:06 AM, Lord Wraith said:

Its funny how everyone is obsessing over the sword but everyone is forgetting the shield. Brienne wields the sword of Winterfell reforged (Stark Paternal heritage) and the shield of Harrenhal (Tully maternal heritage via the Whents). So Brienne seems connected to both of the Stark girls. Arya as the sword, via Needle, and her killing and Sansa as the shield via courtesy "as a ladies armor." I feel Brienne, Jaime, and Sansa will all end up together at Harrenhal at somepoint. Lord Baelish as well when he comes to claim his seat.

Nice catch with the shield!

• 11 months later...

It could possibly be fore shadowing that house Stark will be two different houses that only can claim descent from house Stark through the female line. If Rickon dies and Jeyne Westerling isn't pregnant or has a girl or has a still birth, or has a miscarriage or the child dies in infancy or dies before it can continue on the line house Stark would be essentially gone.

Archived