The Pact of Ice and Fire

Ygritte.

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 5:52 AM, norwaywolf123 said:

wtf? Explain

Jon is KITN, comes south and conquers the IT. Tyrion and Sansa sit the IT. SR is Tyrion's heir, because Tyrion is basically Sansa's pawn and Sansa has him name SR his heir because Sansa can likewise control SR (and thus the realm) as she controls Tyrion. Tyrion dies the same as Aegon II (poisoned with wine by Sansa, because he either orders everyone to fight till the last or plans to blow KL up), with Jon on the way to KL the same as Cregan.

Jon arrives, dead Tyrion, SR the heir, what to do? Marry Arya, princess of the north to SR, make them king and queen, a solution the realm (and Sansa) will accept, sweet and sour, then kneel and join the realm together again.

Spoiler

“Any child of ours would be baseborn. Only a trueborn child of House Arryn can displace Ser Harrold as your heir. My father will find a proper wife for you, some highborn girl much prettier than me. You’ll hunt and hawk together, and she’ll give you her favor to wear in tournaments. Before long, you will have forgotten me entirely.”

It's a joke, get it?

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 0:01 AM, Ygritte. said:

There is mention of a pact between the Targaryens and Starks regarding a royal princess marrying into the Stark family (a promise that was never followed through).

"Lord Cregan Stark reaped many rewards for his loyal support of King Aegon III ... even if it was not a royal princess marrying into his family, as had been agreed in the Pact of Ice and Fire made when the doomed prince Jacaerys Velaryon had flown to Winterfell upon his dragon."

Seeing as the main series is called 'A Song of Ice and Fire', is this foreshadowing that such a pact will be fulfilled (finally).  Thus uniting the two old families in a very 'War of the Roses' style of ending.

Hidden Content

My take is that, for whatever reason, a union between Starks (Ice) and Targeryans (Fire) is a very bad thing, and the green men probably know this and probably conveyed this to Cregan and Aegon shortly after the pact was made. So they both agreed not to fulfill it.

Rhaegar, however, did join Ice and Fire, and now the White Walkers are on the move...

• 5 weeks later...

I always took it as the Prince Who Was Promised- the Pact was the Promise, and originally, it was a Princess Who Was Promised- but dragons are gender fluid.

So Rhaegar siring a son on Lyanna made Rhaegar the Prince Who Was Promised- but not Azor Ahai reborn. The Promise was to the Starks. Fits Martin's attitude about prophecy- you need context to understand it. What was the promise? Well, if it was the Pact, we have an answer

• 1 month later...
On 4 February 2016 at 0:05 PM, Scorpion92 said:

For me, it foreshadows Daenerys Targaryen, Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains and Conqueror of Southern Westeros, marrying Jon Stark, King of Winter and ruler of the North (True North as well as the Wall will collapse) which will finally seal the pact promised so many years ago, uniting "ice" and "fire" for eternity and bringing the balance to the realm.

And that tidbit about GRRM wanting to add Prince Jacaerys falling in love with bastard Stark girl I think only proves my point. Just reverse genders and it just screams Dany and Jon.

Of course, it is just general outline, it will not be your typical happy ending. I think after this marriage Dany will not be long for this world as she will die in childbirth, which will put Arya and Sansa as co-ruling duo queens helping Jon to rule. It will mark a new era for new royal dynasty of House Stark and mirror Aegon, Visenya and Rhaenys but without Starkcest.

God I fucking hope not

none of GRRMs other work is so neat and boring, there's no WAY ASOIF will be.

eceryone be prepared to have a sip of prestons cool aid.  

Just sayin.

• 7 months later...

I'm late to the party here, but I think the Pact of Ice and Fire is foreshadowing for Rhagar and Lyanna, and their son, who would be "the song of ice and fire." Elio and Linda mentioned in an AMA that they cut a segment from the worldbook about Jacaerys possibly falling in love with and marrying Cregan's bastard half-sister. Whether or not that's true will likely never be disclosed, but it would be interesting to read about.

Personally, I always found it a little weird that the Targaryens never thought to form marriage alliances with any Northerners or Ironborn (except for that one Manderly betrothal that ended up going nowhere). Judging by how independent those regions are, you would think it would help inspire some loyalty to the Iron Throne, as it had with Dorne. 

Archived