Saddest moment in series?

dariopatke

18 hours ago, bloodofthedragon1995 said:

I'm not saying it wasn't a sad moment - I said I don't think it's the saddest or even one of the saddest - considering the thread title is 'the saddest'. I merely pointed out moments much sadder and poignant...

You realize "saddest moment" is totally subjective right? No need to get judgy/argumentative over something that is purely our own opinions.

16 hours ago, Blackfyre Bastard said:

Jon discovers who maester Aemon really is:

I really have a soft spot for Maester Aemon and I think most scenes with him make me a little emotional actually.  However, for me the saddest (fortunately it turned out to be a red herring) was when I realised that Bran, Rickon and party have been found in that mill, especially as I felt that since Arya have been "given" more lifes that she were ought and I thought that this was the pay back I think was probably the saddest but there are quite a few scenes involving a variety of characters.

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 1:18 PM, Maxxine said:

Oh come on! This is seriously one of the saddest scenes? This is nowhere near as horrid or sad as:

red wedding,

cat having to watch Robb die

, arya watching the massacre outside the Twins and Ned being beheaded,

Sansa being physically and mentally abused

Bran being thrown out of a window and crippled

rickon becoming hysterical and deranged as a result of no parents.

Meanwhile, Jon gets told he shouldn't have been born! Oh no.

i find it hard to believe that you actually believe what you said... 

This seems more like an attempt to turn this into another catelyn stark hate thread. Cat did nothing wrong in this situation she was a grieving mother who didn't want the presence of her husband's bastard son around her and her frail, fragile and broken Bran...:angry:

Just because she may be justified in saying something doesn't make it any less sad for Jon. So because she's justified in feeling the way she does Jon's feelings can't be hurt & we can't feel bad for him? Plus she's not justified in saying what she said. She may be justified in her feelings about Ned having a bastard. But to tell a child regardless of who he is you wished he were dead when all he wanted to do was make sure his brother was ok is wrong & it would hurt a child's feelings and can be seen as a sad moment.

I realise this has already been commented on but I feel the urge to say why I think this scene is sad, particularly on a re-read. To me it is not just the moment Catelyn tells Jon he shouldn't be born and Jon's hurt feelings. It is about the tragedy that surrounds the last 15 years. It is about Lyanna dying in child birth, about Jon not knowing the truth of his life but growing up without a mother and father, its about the tower of joy and all those who died there pointlessly for honour. It's about Ned not feeling he is able to trust Catelyn and all the resulting hatred and bitterness all because of a lie, it was about Ned feeling he had to live through all that so his best friend doesn't murder his nephew.

On 20 January 2016 at 5:27 AM, purple-eyes said:

Saddest?

A three-year old girl rhaenys hid under her father's bed, probably hoping her father can protect her, but was dragged out and stabbed 50 times to death, while her father died happily and gracefully with the name of Lyanna on his lips far away.

Look, I know you loathe Rhaegar and Lyanna but this is getting ridiculous now. Died happily and gracefully? He died painfully (war hammer to the chest is no picnic) in the knowledge he would never see again Lyanna (who he either loved or had an obsession with, take your pick, either one is going to hurt him) and that the war was as good as lost, his family doomed. You can hate Rhaegar and Lyanna, that's fine, but please do so without the constant inane comments that make things out as worse than they were. There is plenty actually in the books that can be used without "died happily and gracefully" nonesense. 

13 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Look, I know you loathe Rhaegar and Lyanna but this is getting ridiculous now. Died happily and gracefully? He died painfully (war hammer to the chest is no picnic) in the knowledge he would never see again Lyanna (who he either loved or had an obsession with, take your pick, either one is going to hurt him) and that the war was as good as lost, his family doomed. You can hate Rhaegar and Lyanna, that's fine, but please do so without the constant inane comments that make things out as worse than they were. There is plenty actually in the books that can be used without "died happily and gracefully" nonesense. 

We surely can see he cared about Lyanna before his death, but where can you see he cared about his wife, his son and his daughter who would be doomed by his failure?

We did hear a lot that Rhaegar died for the woman he loved from different people, obviously this indicated that he was willing to die for Lyanna.

By the way, don't you feel GRRM is trying best to paint the deaths of Lyanna  and Rhaegar as romantic and beautiful possible?

You know, a storm of rose petals, rose in hands, stained sky, blood spilled like rubies, whispering name of lover,  etc.

GRRM wanted to give us this feeling that their deaths are beautiful and touching.

This is undeniable,

On rereads: 

He put Bran into bed, covered him with blankets, and blew out the candle. For a time Robb sat beside him in the dark. Bran wanted to talk to him, but he did not know what to say. “We’ll find a horse for you, I promise,” Robb whispered at last.

“Are they ever coming back?” Bran asked him.

“Yes,” Robb said with such hope in his voice that Bran knew he was hearing his brother and not just Robb the Lord. “Mother will be home soon. Maybe we can ride out to meet her when she comes. Wouldn’t that surprise her, to see you ahorse?”

Even in the dark room, Bran could feel his brother’s smile. “And afterward, we’ll ride north to see the Wall. We won’t even tell Jon we’re coming, we’ll just be there one day, you and me. It will be an adventure.”

“An adventure,” Bran repeated wistfully. He heard his brother sob. The room was so dark he could not see the tears on Robb’s face, so he reached out and found his hand. Their fingers twined together.

3 hours ago, purple-eyes said:

By the way, don't you feel GRRM is trying best to paint the deaths of Lyanna  and Rhaegar as romantic and beautiful possible?

You know, a storm of rose petals, rose in hands, stained sky, blood spilled like rubies, whispering name of lover,  etc.

GRRM wanted to give us this feeling that their deaths are beautiful and touching.

This is undeniable,

The descriptions have been somewhat. . .hm. . .poetic, thus far, yes.  But that doesn't mean the reader is supposed to actually think it was poetic.  That assumes George despises his audience and thinks they should take descriptions at face value.  Clearly that's not the case.  And that romantic vision has already been countered at least in part with stuff like "And Rhaegar died."  

The Robb and Bran scene, where Robb is desperately doing his best, is definitely touching.  Re-reading that just now made me sad.  Rickon and Bran hearing about Ned's death is another moment that hit me.  But I think on first reading, the most moving thing I remember was Maester Aemon's speech.  

We can all agree the Red Wedding is the saddest in the series.

But this one is definitely my favorite:

“When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," she said sadly. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When my womb quickens again, and I bear a living child. Then you will return, my sun-and-stars, and not before." 

That tears my heart every time i read it. Just the way GRRM put in words is fascinating.

The ones already mentioned with Robb and Bran; Rickon and Bran in the crypts (I love the Stark family moments)

Also

The cold trickles on his face reminded Jon of the day he'd bid farewell to Robb at Winterfell, never knowing that it was for the last time. "And pull your hood up. The snowflakes are melting in your hair." Jon ADWD
"When he opened his eyes again, Lord Eddard Stark was alone with his dead. His horse moved closer, caught the rank scent of blood, and galloped away. Ned began to drag himself through the mud, gritting his teeth at the agony in his leg. It seemed to take years. Faces watched from candlelit windows, and people began to emerge from alleys and doors, but no one moved to help.
Littlefinger and the City Watch found him there in the street, cradling Jory Cassel's body in his arms." Ned AGOT

Ned really dragged himself so he could have Jory in his arms. That is just so sad and painful. 

• 2 years later...
On 2016-01-19 at 11:29 PM, CaptainJugular said:

"Needle was Robb and Bran and Rickon, her mother and her father, even Sansa. Needle was Winterfell's grey walls, and the laughter of its people. Needle was the summer snows, Old Nan's stories, the heart tree with its red leaves and scary face, the warm earthy smell of the glass gardens, the sound of the north wind rattling the shutters of her room. Needle was Jon Snow's smile. He used to muss my hair and call me 'little sister', she remembered, and suddenly there were tears in her eyes."

When I read this chapter I cried like a baby! I'm not likely to cry when I sit and read letters but this touched my soul.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 3:00 PM, LyrnaSnowBunnyAvenger said:

For me, it's the entire tale of Jeyne Poole.  To go from being a companion of Sansa - even taking her lessons with her - and dreaming dreams of marrying a knight, to being LF's whore in training to Ramsey's (and his dog's) object to repeatedly rape and debase.  Everything about Jeyne's story is heart breaking.  

I agree with this completely from a full story arc standpoint.

The woman who holds the corpse of her baby to stop Joffrey's procession back to the Red Keep after saying goodbye to Myrcella mid-way through ACOK also really gets me.

Finally, Maester Luwin's death.  He is my favorite non-major character in the entire series.

Ygritte's death always makes me sad:

She just smiled at that. “D’you remember that cave? We should have stayed in that cave. I told you so.”

“We’ll go back to the cave,” he said. “You’re not going to die, Ygritte. You’re not.”

“Oh.” Ygritte cupped his cheek with her hand. “You know nothing, Jon Snow,” she sighed, dying.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived