Saddest moment in series?

dariopatke

So many.... lol but to me sometimes subtle stuff, not necessarily great tragedies.  One that stick in my mind is when Jon is Lord Commander and wants to take supper and a few ales with his former friends but feels his new rank prevents him from doing so...

On 3/14/2018 at 5:19 AM, House Beaudreau said:

Pod being strung up. really got to me. hope he's not dead.

Granted Cersei has it coming but I really did feel for her during her walk of shame. I guess it's just great writing. 

I agreed, I don't like Cersei either but hell that was over done lol even villains (if 3D villains come from somewhere) and I can feel sorry for them too.

1 hour ago, Morgana Lannister said:

So many.... lol but to me sometimes subtle stuff, not necessarily great tragedies.  One that stick in my mind is when Jon is Lord Commander and wants to take supper and a few ales with his former friends but feels his range prevent him from doing so...

I think this is sad only becauase Jon is being stupid. He doesn't eat with them because of something his idol the Ned said but Ned dines with his men all the time.

Poor Ned both of his sons want to be him but do it completely wrong.:D

12 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

I think this is sad only becauase Jon is being stupid. He doesn't eat with them because of something his idol the Ned said but Ned dines with his men all the time.

Poor Ned both of his sons want to be him but do it completely wrong.:D

I agree in that it was Jon's own choice.  I guess the reason I felt sad is because he felt it was the wrong thing to do even though he still wanted to be "one of them," but yes, although I like Jon there was some stupidity involved there lol.  

I guess you are referring to Jon and Robb here, yes, I agree again although Ned did make his own mistakes, for very noble reasons but well telling Cersei was just like "OMG, please Ned, don't do that!"  I guess talking about more serious things, Ned's beheading was extremely sad.  Another moment that I certainly class as extremely sad is when I thought that Bran and Rickon had been found by Theon and co, although it turned out not to be the case.  Of course it is also incredibly sad that he did kill those farm boys but I guess in a book is much easier to identify or root for characters we have been exposed to, so to me at least, well is going to sound awful but the many injustices inflicted upon characters I haven't gotten to know does not really have quite the effect.

6 hours ago, Morgana Lannister said:

Another moment that I certainly class as extremely sad is when I thought that Bran and Rickon had been found by Theon and co, although it turned out not to be the case.  Of course it is also incredibly sad that he did kill those farm boys but I guess in a book is much easier to identify or root for characters we have been exposed to, so to me at least, well is going to sound awful but the many injustices inflicted upon characters I haven't gotten to know does not really have quite the effect.

To this... I sometimes wonder if perhaps the younger of these boys may have been Theon’s bastard. He talks about tumbling the Millers wife on numerous occasions. Wouldn’t that be sad that perhaps he really was a kinslayer? :-o

13 hours ago, Morgana Lannister said:

I agree in that it was Jon's own choice.  I guess the reason I felt sad is because he felt it was the wrong thing to do even though he still wanted to be "one of them," but yes, although I like Jon there was some stupidity involved there lol.  

I guess you are referring to Jon and Robb here, yes, I agree again although Ned did make his own mistakes, for very noble reasons but well telling Cersei was just like "OMG, please Ned, don't do that!"  I guess talking about more serious things, Ned's beheading was extremely sad.  Another moment that I certainly class as extremely sad is when I thought that Bran and Rickon had been found by Theon and co, although it turned out not to be the case.  Of course it is also incredibly sad that he did kill those farm boys but I guess in a book is much easier to identify or root for characters we have been exposed to, so to me at least, well is going to sound awful but the many injustices inflicted upon characters I haven't gotten to know does not really have quite the effect.

Robb and Jon yes, both take being ned backwards but at least Jon is learning the Way of the Ned ^_^

The whole Tysha story.

7 hours ago, desire said:

His face twisted in sudden anguish. “I’m his squire,” he repeated, as the rain ran down his face, “but he left me.”

Aww Pod 

I'm kind of annoyed at Tyrion for never sparing a thought for Pod in ADWD (I know, I know, he has a lot on his plate, but if he could stop whining about how no one cared about him in Westeros for two seconds and wonder what became of Pod, that would be nice).

Arya grieving the loss of her family when she was so close to being reunited with them.

"She could feel the hole inside her every morning when she woke. It wasn't hunger, but there was that too. It was a hollow place, an emptiness where her heart had been, where her brothers had lived, and her parents."

5 hours ago, Joy Hill said:

The whole Tysha story.

I'm kind of annoyed at Tyrion for never sparing a thought for Pod in ADWD (I know, I know, he has a lot on his plate, but if he could stop whining about how no one cared about him in Westeros for two seconds and wonder what became of Pod, that would be nice).

Sorrry, not sure on the scene re Pod.  Pod is one of my favourite characters and hell Tyrion has whinned enough for a generation in one single book, but I believe he is going through a nervous break down.  At this moment in time a little confuse with books and show, but Tyrion loved Pod.  For one thing, it was an affront to him, of sorts, high born as Tyrion is to get Pod as he squire but he treasures him and Pod saved his life.  I need to get to the point in the books (re-reading now but on book 2 probably for the 3rd time lol) but I seem to recall Tyrion was faithful to his faithful squire. If I was wrong, my apologies.  In ADWD Tyrion ain't capable to spare a nice thought for himself never mind another.  I have a strong interest IRL in mental health and Tyrion is not "well" in ADWD.  Not saying that justifies him and I hatted to see that, but if George had portrayed him differently there, for one, it would have sounded unrealistic and secondly, yes that could mean that Tyrion truly hadn't give a damn.

On 3/16/2018 at 11:32 PM, Duke-of-Kaisa said:

To this... I sometimes wonder if perhaps the younger of these boys may have been Theon’s bastard. He talks about tumbling the Millers wife on numerous occasions. Wouldn’t that be sad that perhaps he really was a kinslayer? :-o

There are a few theories actually, but nothing is "gospel".  Gosh yes, on hindsight but hell I think Theon has suffered enough but yes, it is kind of suggested...

• 2 weeks later...

The words twisted in Ned's belly like a knife. For a moment he was at a loss. He could not bring himself to lie. Then he remembered the bastards: little Barra at her mother's breast, Mya in the Vale, Gendry at his forge, and all the others. "I shall … guard your children as if they were my own," he said slowly

I dunno why that scene gets me but it's just so Ned of Ned. The fact that he's unwilling to lie even now is just so him, the face that even though King Robert wasn't really that good of a friend to him lately he still wishes to honor him is so Ned. The fact that he is promising to protect the bastards, the unwanted, the nameless.is so him. Gah I miss Ned.

Archived