If GRRM told Robert's Rebellion with POVs

ndye5555

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and this is my first topic, but I haven't seen it before and thought it might be interesting.

I was wondering, if George were to tell Robert's Rebellion using the POV structure utilized in ASOIAF, who might be the principle POV characters and what events might we see through their eyes? 

For example, I think it would be fascinating/heartbreaking to see Rickard and Brandon's execution at the hands of the Mad King through Brandon's POV, or even Jaime's. Or perhaps the TOJ through Howland Reed's POV, or the Trident through Lewyn Martell or Barristan Selmy.

What do you guys think?

Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

I think he'd keep most of the POVs we already have in the series, unless a new one is absolutely necessary, so something like:

Cat: we see Brandon going to KL to face Rhaegar

Jaime: we see Aerys burning the Starks

Ned: we see Jon Arryn raising his banners and the journey from the Sisters to the North

Cressen: we see Robert amassing his troops, telling Stannis to hold Storm's End

Arianne: we see Doran and Oberyn furious about Elia's state as a hostage but sending their spears anyway

Asha: we see Quellon's hesitation about joining the war

Cat: we see her and Ned's wedding, and Lysa and Jon's

Tyrion: we see Tywin saying Aerys fucked up by appointing JonCon as Hand

JonCon: we see the Battle of the Bells

Davos: we see him arrive with the onions to SE

Barristan: we see the Trident and Rhaegar's death

Victarion: we see Quellon's death at the Mander

Jaime: we see him kill Aerys

Ned: we see the Tower of Joy

Hotah (ugh): we see Doran react to the news of the deaths of Elia and her kids

Aeron: we see Balon already removing most of his father's reforms

The epilogue would be Cersei's wedding day, her looking at Robert, smiling and thinking, "This is it, I'm going to love this man for the rest of my days"

The End

But I think we'd need a POV in Dragonstone (Viserys), one in the Vale to show us the Battle of Gulltown (Littlefinger), and one in the Reach camp (Randyll Tarly?)

^^^ I think Asha would've been 6 years old and Viserys 7, too young to understand everything that was going on (yes, I know Bran was 7 at the begginig of AGoT, but I'd like to see the events related with a little depth, not the understanding of a child). Dragonstone's POV could be Willem Darry, maybe?

The Damphair at this point would be fun, since he's still a hot blooded frat boy and not a zealot with the personality of a nail.

8 minutes ago, Blackfyre Bastard said:

^^^ I think Asha would've been 6 years old and Viserys 7, too young to understand everything that was going on (yes, I know Bran was 7 at the begginig of AGoT, but I'd like to see the events related with a little depth, not the understanding of a child). Dragonstone's POV could be Willem Darry, maybe?

The Damphair at this point would be fun, since he's still a hot blooded frat boy and not a zealot with the personality of a nail.

Hmmmm, I agree about Asha, but there's something fascinating about a kid Viserys's age being told he carries the world's most powerful dynasty on his little shoulders. No wonder why Viserys ended up the way he did, that pressure would screw anyone's head. 

Agree on the Damphair, I'm still hoping the old Aeron is in there somewhere. 

29 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Hmmmm, I agree about Asha, but there's something fascinating about a kid Viserys's age being told he carries the world's most powerful dynasty on his little shoulders. No wonder why Viserys ended up the way he did, that pressure would screw anyone's head. 

Agree on the Damphair, I'm still hoping the old Aeron is in there somewhere. 

Who would be the prologue POV?

It has to be someone who witnesses Harrenhal tourney, the KotLT, Rhaegar's search, and who dies at the end.

1 hour ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

I think he'd keep most of the POVs we already have in the series, unless a new one is absolutely necessary, so something like:

Ned: we see Jon Arryn raising his banners and the journey from the Sisters to the North

Arianne: we see Doran and Oberyn furious about Elia's state as a hostage but sending their spears anyway

The epilogue would be Cersei's wedding day, her looking at Robert, smiling and thinking, "This is it, I'm going to love this man for the rest of my days"

The End

But I think we'd need a POV in Dragonstone (Viserys), one in the Vale to show us the Battle of Gulltown (Littlefinger), and one in the Reach camp (Randyll Tarly?)

Perfect list ! That would be an amazing read.

We would have some POVs from the ASOIAF, but I think Gorge wold add some POVs

Eddard Stark - We would see the Vale with him, his friendship with Robert and Jon Arryn and his relationship with his father and siblings as well as many things that happened during the Robert Rebellion.

Catelyn Tully - We would see her passion for Brandon and her relationship with Littlefinger, see their duel and how she reacted to Brandon imprisonment and death, her reaction when she first saw Eddard, their marriage and reaction when she learned about Jon Snow.

Jaime Lannister - We would met his father and young Cersei as well his enthusiasm with knighthood, see him choosing to enter in the Kingsguard, he serving Aerys and witnessing the execution of the Starks, the wildfire plot and he killing Aerys.

Davos - All the story that led him to Storm's End with the onions.

Jon Connington - He was of the close circle of friends of Rhaegar and we would see him trying t win the favor of the prince. How he reacted when Rhaegar gave the Crown of flowers to Lyanna? We would know. And finally the Battle of the Bells.

Barristan Selmy - We would see he serving the Mad King, his love for Ashara and the Battle of the Trident

Cersei Lannister - She trying to get Jaime in the Kingsguard and seeing the prophecy of Maggy starting to come true.

Kevan Lannister - He would be our eyes in Tywin Lannister.

________________________________________________________________________________________

And we could have some new POVs.

Lyanna - That would be awesome!

Howland Reed - We would see the Green men, he seen Harrenhal and reacting to all the pageantry, meeting the Starks and the RR as well.

Arthur Dayne - Jon Con is close to Rhaegar, but Arthur Dayne even more and we could see Rhaegar's actions and motivations.

Stannis Baratheon - He resisting in Storm's End and making tough decisions.

Doran Martell - He reacting to Elia imprisonment and her death.

Other characetrs would be interesting POVs and could be good choices: Rhaegar, Elia Martell, Benjen Stark, Ashara Dayne, Brandon Stark,  Littlefinger, Rickard Stark. 

There should be an Aerys Targaryen and Rhaegar Targaryen POVs. Also that of Martells and Littlefinger.

The POVs mentioned by people above will tell the same story we have already heard in a detailed way,but not the hidden truths and the royalist side. If I want to read a book I don't want to read the rebel version again.

On 1/20/2016 at 0:32 AM, Blackfyre Bastard said:

I think Asha would've been 6 years old and Viserys 7, too young to understand everything that was going on (yes, I know Bran was 7 at the begginig of AGoT, but I'd like to see the events related with a little depth, not the understanding of a child). Dragonstone's POV could be Willem Darry, maybe?

The Damphair at this point would be fun, since he's still a hot blooded frat boy and not a zealot with the personality of

A Willem Dairy POV would be great. We would get to see how spiriting away the Targaryens played out leading up to the house with the red door. Also a 6 year old Arianna might not work too great as a POV but Areo Hotah would be cool.

If I had a wish list for PoVs for this and it could be new ones (including people now dead), I'd say Robert, Tywin, Rhaegar (or Lyanna) and Howland Reed.  As well as the story we'd also find out more about who they are and how they think.

If it had to be existing PoVs, then I'd want Ned, Jon Connington and Jaime, so as we could see it from the perspective of Team Stark/Baratheon, Team Targaryen and Lannister (who I see as a rogue 3rd side in RR).

First book in year 2020: we get POVs of characters who were not at the tourney of Harrenhal, like Cersei, Cat, Viserys, Arianne. It ends with The Starks being burnt alive.

Second book in 2027: we get mostly food descriptions of both Mace's feasts outside Storms End, and onion descriptions from Davos. Also, we get POV of Oberyn traveling through Essos and his own Lyseni Knot trying to convince the Second Sons to join the Rebellion on the Targaryen side (and obbviously failing).

Third book: although HBO had said that they were not interested in telling Roberts Rebellion, 10 years go by and they decide to do it, catching up with GRRM and spoiling everything before the last book is published. And we are still waiting for aDoS.

The end.

I would like Stannis' POV (siege), Rheagar (something preHarenhall, abducting of Lyanna and ToJ and Trident) , Robert(Bells, Trident, arriving to KL when being presented bodies of Aegon and Rheanys), Ned(Harenhall, ToJ, Starfall) , Jaime (burning of Rickard, killing king with Neds arrival) and maybe Willem Darry (escape from Dragonstone).

8 hours ago, Blackfyre Bastard said:

Who would be the prologue POV?

It has to be someone who witnesses Harrenhal tourney, the KotLT, Rhaegar's search, and who dies at the end.

8 hours ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

Idea for prologue: Ilyn Payne, how he gets his tongue ripped out 

Prologue: Ilyn Payne's tongue

It ends with Aerys' saying, "When you play the game of tongues..."

Aerys,Robert,Rhaegar, Elia and Lyanna are out of the table.I think we would have:

1. Jaime Lannister- King's Landing POV
  2. Ned Stark - insight on house Stark + Rebel's POV
  3. Catelyn Tully - Insight on Brandon, Lysa, LF.
  4. Davos Seaworth - Smallfolk POV + Battles in the south + siege of Dragonstone/Dany's escape
  5. Howland Reed - Tourney POV 
  6. Barristan Selmy - royalists's POV + Insight on Ashara Dayne

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:00 PM, khal drogon said:

There should be an Aerys Targaryen and Rhaegar Targaryen POVs. Also that of Martells and Littlefinger.

The POVs mentioned by people above will tell the same story we have already heard in a detailed way,but not the hidden truths and the royalist side. If I want to read a book I don't want to read the rebel version again.

I agree that it would be great to get Targaryen side of the story. We really don't know anything about that side of the story. Wouldn't people like to know why Aerys called for Ned and Robert's heads. He's crazy isn't an answer. Even if he was crazy (and I do think he was pretty bad by this time) he still must have had some reason, if it was a crazy one. We definitely don't know enough about the Targaryen side of the story to truly know what happened in RR. Any telling of that tale without the Targaryen's side is, as you point out, just a rehashing of what we already know.

I can only imagine these boards if we were between novels and Rhaegar was marching up the Kings Road to meet Robert on the Trident:

Of course Rhaegar won't die. He's the main character, AA reborn, the PtwP, he has plot armor. It wouldn't make sense for him to die. He needs to complete his "arc" and fulfill his role in the narrative. Why would we have all those POVs if he were just to die?

And then what? Robert becomes king? How stupid would that be? Robert's a pig. Lyanna never loved him anyway. True love must always triumph. The good guy has to win.

Rhaegar could not possible die, not ever.

:blink:

On 20/01/2016 at 6:09 AM, Good Guy Garlan said:

The End

That would be pretty close tbh

Ned Stark

Catelyn Tully

Jaime Lannister

Howland Reed

I think Queen Rhaella would be an interesting one. She's the one Targaryen who' pretty been a non-character the whole series. Show me the Mad King's actions from his Queen's perspective.

I wouldn't wanna see the ending wedding from Cersei's POV. Give me Ned or Catelyn. 

Archived