The Richard Morgan Thread III

AncalagonTheBlack

• 4 weeks later...
On 15.1.2018 at 5:45 PM, Calibandar said:

Release date pushed back to August 2018. 

Now it is October 2018. New blurb:

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/117163/thin-air-by-richard-k-morgan/

An atmospheric tale of corruption and abduction set on Mars, from the author of the award-winning science fiction novel Altered Carbon, now an exciting new series from Netflix.

From the moment Richard K. Morgan’s dazzling debut, Altered Carbon, burst onto the scene, it was clear that a distinctive new voice had arrived to shake up science fiction. His subsequent novels — including the sequels Broken Angels and Woken Furies — confirmed him as a master of hard-boiled futuristic thrillers. Now Morgan returns to the world of SF noir with a riveting tale of crime, corruption, and deadly crisis on a planet teetering close to the edge.

On a Mars where ruthless corporate interests violently collide with a homegrown independence movement, as Earth-based overlords battle for profits and power, Hakan Veil is an ex-professional enforcer equipped with military-grade body tech that’s made him a human killing machine. But he’s had enough of the turbulent red planet, and all he wants is a ticket back home — which is just what he’s offered by the Earth Oversight organization, in exchange for being the bodyguard for an EO investigator. It’s a beyond-easy gig for a heavy hitter like Veil... until it isn’t.

When Veil’s charge, Madison Jegede, starts looking into the mysterious disappearance of a lottery winner, she stirs up a hornets’ nest of intrigue and murder. And the deeper Veil is drawn into the dangerous game being played, the more long-buried secrets claw their way to the Martian surface. Now it’s the expert assassin on the wrong end of a lethal weapon — as Veil stands targeted by powerful enemies hellbent on taking him down, by any means necessary.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jussi said:

Gollancz is going to republish Black Man as Thirteen. I wonder what was wrong with the old name.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thirteen-Previously-published-BLACK-GOLLANCZ/dp/1473225388/

Thirteen was the US name. It might be that they wanted to unite the two titles before relaunching the book (Fresh Air is a sequel-of-sorts to Thirteen), but it's weird because it was as Black Man that it won the Arthur C. Clarke Award.

Gollancz did this a few months ago with Alastair Reynolds, retitling The Prefect as Aurora Rising for no readily apparent reason.

• 1 month later...
On 26/03/2018 at 6:37 PM, Werthead said:

Thirteen was the US name. It might be that they wanted to unite the two titles before relaunching the book (Fresh Air is a sequel-of-sorts to Thirteen), but it's weird because it was as Black Man that it won the Arthur C. Clarke Award.

Gollancz did this a few months ago with Alastair Reynolds, retitling The Prefect as Aurora Rising for no readily apparent reason.

I hope part of the reasoning isn't to trick people into buying the book again by accident. That would be an understandable mistake for a casual reader who enjoyed "black man" and thought "ooh, a sequel"

I suspect a lot of it is the potential awkwardness of the title. I'm not sure what people might think I'm reading on the train with the original title. Could be good could be bad. 

On 26/03/2018 at 7:37 PM, Werthead said:

I think it was because either he or they decided that once he'd extended the one-off book into a series, The Prefect was too general a title for an individual book in it.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

I suspect a lot of it is the potential awkwardness of the title. I'm not sure what people might think I'm reading on the train with the original title. Could be good could be bad. 

I mean, that's definitely why they retitled it in the US in the first place. I do suspect that this has to do with that awkwardness and his presumably growing profile following the Altered Carbon show.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Esmenet said:

For someone who has read both, are the Kovac books better or worse than his fantasy trilogy, starting with The Cold Commands?

Insanely better.  Morgan's sci-fi is awesome, his fantasy is ok.  Blackman (thirteen) is also an amazing read and a standalone.  

On a scale of 1 being poop and 10 being perfect I'd put the fantasy trilogy (which I believe actually starts with The Steel Remains) as a 4 or 5 but the Kovacs novels as like an 8-10 depending.

2 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Insanely better.  Morgan's sci-fi is awesome, his fantasy is ok.  Blackman (thirteen) is also an amazing read and a standalone.  

On a scale of 1 being poop and 10 being perfect I'd put the fantasy trilogy (which I believe actually starts with The Steel Remains) as a 4 or 5 but the Kovacs novels as like an 8-10 depending.

Thanks for the feedback. :) 

Ive been wanting to read them for awhile and always put them off for something else. I think ill give them a go. Plus, I am beginning to really like a good Sci-fi novel.

6 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

I think his fantasy trilogy holds with the other Takeshi Kovacs books.

Altered Carbon is the only absolutely great one.

A Land Fit for Heroes is good but never quite reaches the greatness of the first novel.

18 hours ago, Esmenet said:

For someone who has read both, are the Kovac books better or worse than his fantasy trilogy, starting with The Cold Commands?

I liked them both but the Kovacs books are better,  particularly Altered Carbon. 

Archived