Richard Morgan + Netflix = ALTERED CARBON TV series

Werthead

I really enjoyed Season 1 and very glad it's getting a second go. Anthony Mackie should be great in this and very pleased he getting a lead role. He's never going to be a tier 1 hero in the MCU, so this is his chance at establishing his credentials as a leading man.

10 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I really enjoyed Season 1 and very glad it's getting a second go. Anthony Mackie should be great in this and very pleased he getting a lead role. He's never going to be a tier 1 hero in the MCU, so this is his chance at establishing his credentials as a leading man.

Well he's second in line if Chris Evans leaves and they follow the comics in terms of who takes up the mantle of captain America. I think I'd rather see winter soldier in the role first. But the beauty of altered carbon is that it can always be a one season gig as the lead 

This is interesting... (the casting news, that is)

I am interested in seeing what Mackie can do. Takeshi, in whatever body, is such intense character. I am not sure that Mackie would come to my mind for this, but I do say I am curious about it. 

• 3 months later...

Okay, this is unexpected and also pretty bloody cool:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/pacific-rim-altered-carbon-anime-projects-netflixs-new-slate-asian-originals-1159238

Altered Carbon. This anime feature, set in the same universe of the Netflix live-action sci-fi series (second season in production from Skydance Television), will explore new elements of the story mythology. Writer: Dai Sato (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo) and Tsukasa Kondo. Animation Studio: Anima.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I dare say it could be better. Also promising that Netflix are taking anime seriously with the writer involved.

I'd probably rather have a new version but I can understand why they'd want it to crossover with the show. It will be interesting to see how it performs given it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper than the live action version.

Yasuke and trese sound potentially interesting shows too.

Not so sure about Pacific rim as an anime. Largely because it's a very crowded market once you have mecha kaiju in animated form. Part of Pacific rim's appeal was the live action Hollywood take

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2018 at 9:39 PM, williamjm said:

I wonder if it's going to have any resemblance to Broken Angels, or if it is going to be a more direct sequel to (the TV show's version of) Altered Carbon?

IIRC, back when the project was announced they were discussing 5 seasons, incorporating all three books plus some new and original stories inbetween. If that's still the plan, Season 2 will be an original story.

• 7 months later...

Altered Carbon: Resleeved Anime Reveals Director, Spring 2020 Debut
https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2019/10/23/altered-carbon-resleeved-anime-film-teases-main-staff-and-setting

Netflix revealed the director and the spring 2020 worldwide debut for Altered Carbon: Resleeved "anime feature" spinoff on Wednesday. Takeru Nakajima is directing the anime at Anima (Cat Shit One: The Animated Series, Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV).

Netflix also revealed two new stills for the anime:
https://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire1/facdc7dcf5e974e57bfa94a9678a5d0b1571838180_full.jpg
https://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire2/9a3a5c5be875fc41477942b57f3204c91571838317_full.jpg

41 minutes ago, red snow said:

Is this airing before Season 2 or as a lead in/parallel show. It's almost 2 years since the first season. 

They wrapped filming in June, according to Google. With just eight episodes, seems to me they could certainly have it air start of the year, with the date of the anime... I'm thinking they're holding it for Spring or Summer 2020. Or maybe there have been reshoots (not a good sign, if so).

30 minutes ago, Ran said:

They wrapped filming in June, according to Google. With just eight episodes, seems to me they could certainly have it air start of the year, with the date of the anime... I'm thinking they're holding it for Spring or Summer 2020. Or maybe there have been reshoots (not a good sign, if so).

Could be a bad sign. By all accounts it wasn't based on any novel so they may have struggled more than expected.

Itseems really odd. They have Anthony Mackie appearing in shows and films almost monthly. Unless they are waiting for the Disney+ falcon and winter soldier to boost appeal.

I tend to agree with sigil that these delays especially for second seasons can really kill a show.

It'll be interesting to see if the anime is connected or done in such a way that it being in continuity is optional.

• 2 months later...

Sounds like they're mostly using Woken Furies for the plot, although folding in some details from Broken Angels, such as Dig 301. Mostly it feels like this is going to be the final season of the show, IMO. Weirdly, I think Altered Carbon: Resleeved -- the animated film by Dai Sato -- is in March, so it premieres after season 2 launches. Feels like some kind of way to wrap it all up.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Sounds like they're mostly using Woken Furies for the plot, although folding in some details from Broken Angels, such as Dig 301. Mostly it feels like this is going to be the final season of the show, IMO. Weirdly, I think Altered Carbon: Resleeved -- the animated film by Dai Sato -- is in March, so it premieres after season 2 launches. Feels like some kind of way to wrap it all up.

Last episode's name is:

Spoiler

Broken Angels

Archived