Richard Morgan + Netflix = ALTERED CARBON TV series

Werthead

4 hours ago, Ran said:

Yes, but the season plot synopsis sounds almost entirely like WF.

Yeah definitely Woken Furies if it involves the search for Quell.

Spoilers from the book:

Spoiler

Wonder if we'll get younger Kovac hunting the older one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 4:11 PM, Ran said:

Sounds like they're mostly using Woken Furies for the plot, although folding in some details from Broken Angels, such as Dig 301. Mostly it feels like this is going to be the final season of the show, IMO. Weirdly, I think Altered Carbon: Resleeved -- the animated film by Dai Sato -- is in March, so it premieres after season 2 launches. Feels like some kind of way to wrap it all up.

I think a lot of Netflix shows are running scared these days so it's probably sensible to do each season in a way you can be content with them being finales. I think the first season was very expensive meaning expectations might gave been higher in terms of performance. The 2 year wait probably hasn't helped the show and the cast change while it makes sense could also prove off-putting.

If they are borrowing from woken furies it has potential

Yeah, this makes it clearer that while the initial impetuous of this season's plot may be drawn from Broken Angels, it's really mostly Woken Furies.

Spoiler

Especially the duplicate Kovacs being used to try and hunt him down.

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Yeah, this makes it clearer that while the initial impetuous of this season's plot may be drawn from Broken Angels, it's really mostly Woken Furies.

Reveal hidden contents

Especially the duplicate Kovacs being used to try and hunt him down.

That to me suggests this will be the final season. The original plan - or at least musing - sounds like it was for 5 seasons, with the three books adapted directly and potentially two new adventures inbetween. Between Season 1's reception (solid but not spectacular, both critically and commercially), the show's very high budget and Kalogridis effectively leaving after Season 1 (to work on Star Wars from the sound of it), it appears they've decided to wrap up and the story quickly, so they're not planning this to be a long-running thing (but with time to change course if Season 2 ends up being an unexpected hit).

18 hours ago, Werthead said:

That to me suggests this will be the final season. The original plan - or at least musing - sounds like it was for 5 seasons, with the three books adapted directly and potentially two new adventures inbetween. Between Season 1's reception (solid but not spectacular, both critically and commercially), the show's very high budget and Kalogridis effectively leaving after Season 1 (to work on Star Wars from the sound of it), it appears they've decided to wrap up and the story quickly, so they're not planning this to be a long-running thing (but with time to change course if Season 2 ends up being an unexpected hit).

I guess the third book left room for more stories if they so desired but I suspect it was greenlit for season 2 prior to the generally more ruthless approach of cancelling shows not fitting their algorithm that netflix now employs. Hopefully they were told "you probably won't have a third season" so they can wrap the story up.

I wonder what Kalogridis is working on RE star Wars? Guess it has to be a TV show. Wikipedia says she's working on a KOTOR adaptation but I guess that's a long way off or old info by now. 

The new showrunner worked on Alias and Fringe (and Flash) so there's potential for the show to be better, I think/hope.

I've been rewatching season 1 this week, and noticed something that I didn't remember from the first time around or from when I read the books - in episode four Ortega's mother mentioned that the stack technology was developed through the alien tech.  Was that actually a thing in the books, and I'm just blanking on it?

5 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I've been rewatching season 1 this week, and noticed something that I didn't remember from the first time around or from when I read the books - in episode four Ortega's mother mentioned that the stack technology was developed through the alien tech.  Was that actually a thing in the books, and I'm just blanking on it?

My recollection is that the "Martians" did not have the physical stack technology at all, and that humans developed it entirely on their lonesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Altered Carbon reviews trickling out -- IGN with an 8 of 10 (but a review that had some things that made me concerned that this was an overly high score), Forbes with a "good but not as good as S1" which is concerning in itself, AV Club with a stronger review that rated it a B+, Den of Geek fairly positive with 4 stars out of 5. 

Also, first images from the Altered Carbon: Resleeved anime:

• 6 months later...
13 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

The second season was so mind-bogglingly boring I never finished it, which is extremely unusual for me, so I'm not surprised by this. The buzz and hype around Season 2 was non-existent compared to that of the first season.

They made some bad choices from the get-go, and they kind of came to roost in the 2nd series. Not surprised either. At least we'll have that first season. Will be interested in rewatching it whenever I get around to actually getting a TV to see it in 4K.

A cancellation I'm not too torn up over. Mackie simply didn't work in the role and I like him in other films. It only concerns me in the sense that Netflix is very trigger happy with cancellations. Lost in space is at least getting a third season to wrap things up but the list is getting longer for Netflix shows that never make 4 seasons. 

I think the large gap and lack of interest in promoting the second season really didn't help. In general the gap between seasons on Netflix is a bit random which on top of reduced promotion is a bit deadly. But I think this one was also down to quality. And being really expensive to make.

The first season was good, the second season, if you've read the books, was pretty bad, or at least it got bad enough i lost interest and stopped watching after awhile .  I think they really fucked up going off the story and the mixing up of Envoys/ UN cops / quellists didn't do anyone any favors. 

Also, @Ran

Re: martians having stack tech:

yeah, you're right, they didn't have stacks the way humans learned to make them, but humans used Martian tech to needlecast DHF over interstellar distances.  Additionally, it's revealed at the end of Woken Furies that Martians orbitals/angelfire on Harlan's World served the same function as a stack, and that it even worked for humans.  That's how Quell/Nadia Makita managed to work her way from angelfire dust through the orbitals into the De-com zone in New Hokkaido and sneak into Sylvie's brain/stack/De-com gear. 

Too bad this ended up the way it did, but the first season was great and it's always a treat to have an above average adaptation of a book I love.  Would have been cool if the second season turned out better.  I know it's a cliche to think that if they hewed more closely to the text everything would work out, but I think it's appropriate here.  

1 hour ago, red snow said:

A cancellation I'm not too torn up over. Mackie simply didn't work in the role and I like him in other films. It only concerns me in the sense that Netflix is very trigger happy with cancellations. Lost in space is at least getting a third season to wrap things up but the list is getting longer for Netflix shows that never make 4 seasons. 

I think the large gap and lack of interest in promoting the second season really didn't help. In general the gap between seasons on Netflix is a bit random which on top of reduced promotion is a bit deadly. But I think this one was also down to quality. And being really expensive to make.

Netflix's metrics work on the basis that they will only renew shows that bring in new subscribers, even if they're temporary re-ups. In a weird way, it punishes shows that get people to sign up full time and rewards shows that get people to sign up for only long enough to watch that show and then bail again (like Stranger Things13 Reasons Why and now The Witcher).

I think Netflix's quality control is also getting to be a real issue.

Archived