Jump to content
Werthead

Richard Morgan + Netflix = ALTERED CARBON TV series

Recommended Posts

On 5/13/2016 at 1:22 AM, red snow said:

I have seen him in the killing - although I've only seen the first 4 episodes from 5+ years ago. I really need to try and go back to it. I just find subtitles require undivided attention and I tended to doze off a lot meaning I was missing vital clues.

House of Cards has been on my list since I got netflix last year. I really should stop watching shows like the Flash to catch up on the good stuff.

Oh no, he's in the American remake of the show, so it's in English. Or American, at least. Close enough.

House of Card you have to give a few episodes, but it gets good. 

Never stop watching the Flash. I would enjoy it less without everyone's commentary lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Mandy said:

Oh no, he's in the American remake of the show, so it's in English. Or American, at least. Close enough.

House of Card you have to give a few episodes, but it gets good. 

Never stop watching the Flash. I would enjoy it less without everyone's commentary lol

The Flash thread is the most entertaining thing about the Flash show :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, red snow said:

The Flash thread is the most entertaining thing about the Flash show :)

Truer words have never been spoken. I wish we could all get together and watch it together LMAO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mandy said:

Truer words have never been spoken. I wish we could all get together and watch it together LMAO

It would be like a support group.

It does make me much more excited at the prospect of this show though. Be nice to have something with internal logic and sci-fi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update.

Filming is currently underway in Vancouver, they've shot three (of ten) episodes so far and the show's budget is bigger than that of Game of Thrones during its first three seasons ($6-7 million per episode), although a long way short of the show's current budget ($14 million!).

Edited by Werthead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good to hear it's filming. There's a good chance we'll get this at the end of the year. If ScarJo's "ghost in the shell" is as good as the trailers suggest it could be a good year for cyberpunk.

I'm pleased they aren't scrimping on the budget either. I guess they won't need to go too overboard as Morgan's setting was quite grounded but they may need some CGI for parts and it depends how thorough they are with creating a futuristic setting - sometimes the small details cost a lot but are arguably worth it in immersing the viewer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interested in this. Haven't read the book but great premise. Looks like a late 2017 release from what's expected, and them being well into the filming phase is encouraging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish it had been Morgan's The Thirteen (Black Man, in the UK) that was going to be a series rather than Altered Carbon.

I've been thinking of how he partitioned the mutually antagonist sections of the US in this book a lot in the last years.  But then, like Morgan, a lot of us were thinking about this potential for quite some time already too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black Man is still under option by the Transcendence team. It seems unlikely they'll get to make it, so when the option expires it can be put out again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been so long since I've read this. I think I'll do a re-read before the series comes out. Netflix is the perfect company to make this. I'm pumped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I stopped watching Game of Thrones to enjoy the eventual books more, as I figured that was the superior medium. I stopped reading The Expanse cos I think the show is better and wanted that to be my first experience of it. Now I'm torn on whether to read this.......sounds like a great book and a very promising show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

So I stopped watching Game of Thrones to enjoy the eventual books more, as I figured that was the superior medium. I stopped reading The Expanse cos I think the show is better and wanted that to be my first experience of it. Now I'm torn on whether to read this.......sounds like a great book and a very promising show. 

 


Altered Carbon is a seminal SF novel. Required reading for the genre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, polishgenius said:

 


Altered Carbon is a seminal SF novel. Required reading for the genre.

Hey, we can finally agree on something!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Altered Carbon has to be the best debut sci-fi novel in the last 20 years in my opinion and I definitely welcome argument to this. I'd also recommend Woken Furies but that's the limit of Morgan's work that I've enjoyed thus far.

I wasn't enamored too much with Leviathan Wakes either. Reading it felt like a youth sci-fi novel -- and I don't mean that in a way to begrudge the authors. I just felt like it was a first time effort--entertaining and worthy of continued effort but not acclaim. Altered Carbon is a completely different beast as I recall. Rich in detail, Morgan drops you into his world (like GRRM) and it's up to you to keep up with the universe and events. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/02/2017 at 6:09 AM, WarGalley said:

Altered Carbon has to be the best debut sci-fi novel in the last 20 years in my opinion and I definitely welcome argument to this.


It's definitely up there. Faith by John Love and Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds can compete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×