Sign in to follow this  
Werthead

Richard Morgan + Netflix = ALTERED CARBON TV series

30 minutes ago, Ran said:

They wrapped filming in June, according to Google. With just eight episodes, seems to me they could certainly have it air start of the year, with the date of the anime... I'm thinking they're holding it for Spring or Summer 2020. Or maybe there have been reshoots (not a good sign, if so).

Could be a bad sign. By all accounts it wasn't based on any novel so they may have struggled more than expected.

Itseems really odd. They have Anthony Mackie appearing in shows and films almost monthly. Unless they are waiting for the Disney+ falcon and winter soldier to boost appeal.

I tend to agree with sigil that these delays especially for second seasons can really kill a show.

It'll be interesting to see if the anime is connected or done in such a way that it being in continuity is optional.

Sounds like they're mostly using Woken Furies for the plot, although folding in some details from Broken Angels, such as Dig 301. Mostly it feels like this is going to be the final season of the show, IMO. Weirdly, I think Altered Carbon: Resleeved -- the animated film by Dai Sato -- is in March, so it premieres after season 2 launches. Feels like some kind of way to wrap it all up.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Sounds like they're mostly using Woken Furies for the plot, although folding in some details from Broken Angels, such as Dig 301. Mostly it feels like this is going to be the final season of the show, IMO. Weirdly, I think Altered Carbon: Resleeved -- the animated film by Dai Sato -- is in March, so it premieres after season 2 launches. Feels like some kind of way to wrap it all up.

Last episode's name is:

Spoiler

Broken Angels

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

Last episode's name is:

Hide contents

Broken Angels

Yes, but the season plot synopsis sounds almost entirely like WF.

4 hours ago, Ran said:

Yes, but the season plot synopsis sounds almost entirely like WF.

Yeah definitely Woken Furies if it involves the search for Quell.

Spoilers from the book:

Spoiler

Wonder if we'll get younger Kovac hunting the older one.

1 hour ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Season 2 teaser. Streaming February 27.

Who made that trailer? It feels like a fan fic trailer from someone who'd just watched the Matrix. 

On 1/22/2020 at 4:11 PM, Ran said:

I think a lot of Netflix shows are running scared these days so it's probably sensible to do each season in a way you can be content with them being finales. I think the first season was very expensive meaning expectations might gave been higher in terms of performance. The 2 year wait probably hasn't helped the show and the cast change while it makes sense could also prove off-putting.

If they are borrowing from woken furies it has potential

Yeah, this makes it clearer that while the initial impetuous of this season's plot may be drawn from Broken Angels, it's really mostly Woken Furies.

Spoiler

Especially the duplicate Kovacs being used to try and hunt him down.

Edited by Ran

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Yeah, this makes it clearer that while the initial impetuous of this season's plot may be drawn from Broken Angels, it's really mostly Woken Furies.

Reveal hidden contents

Especially the duplicate Kovacs being used to try and hunt him down.

That to me suggests this will be the final season. The original plan - or at least musing - sounds like it was for 5 seasons, with the three books adapted directly and potentially two new adventures inbetween. Between Season 1's reception (solid but not spectacular, both critically and commercially), the show's very high budget and Kalogridis effectively leaving after Season 1 (to work on Star Wars from the sound of it), it appears they've decided to wrap up and the story quickly, so they're not planning this to be a long-running thing (but with time to change course if Season 2 ends up being an unexpected hit).

18 hours ago, Werthead said:

That to me suggests this will be the final season. The original plan - or at least musing - sounds like it was for 5 seasons, with the three books adapted directly and potentially two new adventures inbetween. Between Season 1's reception (solid but not spectacular, both critically and commercially), the show's very high budget and Kalogridis effectively leaving after Season 1 (to work on Star Wars from the sound of it), it appears they've decided to wrap up and the story quickly, so they're not planning this to be a long-running thing (but with time to change course if Season 2 ends up being an unexpected hit).

I guess the third book left room for more stories if they so desired but I suspect it was greenlit for season 2 prior to the generally more ruthless approach of cancelling shows not fitting their algorithm that netflix now employs. Hopefully they were told "you probably won't have a third season" so they can wrap the story up.

I wonder what Kalogridis is working on RE star Wars? Guess it has to be a TV show. Wikipedia says she's working on a KOTOR adaptation but I guess that's a long way off or old info by now. 

The new showrunner worked on Alias and Fringe (and Flash) so there's potential for the show to be better, I think/hope.

I've been rewatching season 1 this week, and noticed something that I didn't remember from the first time around or from when I read the books - in episode four Ortega's mother mentioned that the stack technology was developed through the alien tech.  Was that actually a thing in the books, and I'm just blanking on it?

5 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I've been rewatching season 1 this week, and noticed something that I didn't remember from the first time around or from when I read the books - in episode four Ortega's mother mentioned that the stack technology was developed through the alien tech.  Was that actually a thing in the books, and I'm just blanking on it?

My recollection is that the "Martians" did not have the physical stack technology at all, and that humans developed it entirely on their lonesome.

8 hours ago, Ran said:

My recollection is that the "Martians" did not have the physical stack technology at all, and that humans developed it entirely on their lonesome.

Thanks!

Altered Carbon reviews trickling out -- IGN with an 8 of 10 (but a review that had some things that made me concerned that this was an overly high score), Forbes with a "good but not as good as S1" which is concerning in itself, AV Club with a stronger review that rated it a B+, Den of Geek fairly positive with 4 stars out of 5. 

Also, first images from the Altered Carbon: Resleeved anime:

I’d be interested in seeing if anyone thinks it’s better than the first season. I’d watch it if it’s of similar quality at least.

13 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

The second season was so mind-bogglingly boring I never finished it, which is extremely unusual for me, so I'm not surprised by this. The buzz and hype around Season 2 was non-existent compared to that of the first season.