Varys is the giant

BreakinTheWall

Hey everyone, first topic here. I had an idea while reading the Dreams and prophecies article on the Wiki. I really hope I'm not repeating someone else's theory. Anyway, one prophecy in particular (Bran) reads as such:

He saw his father pleading with the king, his face etched with grief. He saw Sansa crying herself to sleep at night, and he saw Arya watching in silence and holding her secrets hard in her heart. There were shadows all around them. One shadow was as dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armoured like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them both loomed a giant in armour made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood.

As I understand it, the first two shadows are generally accepted to be the Hound and the Kingslayer, whereas the third has generated more speculation.

Building upon a previous theory stating that Lord Varys is actually a member House Blackfyre, I'd like to think that Varys is the giant whose shadow looms over the others. If Varys is indeed concealing his true identity as a Blackfyre, then a visor could very well be symbolic of a mask, his Varys persona, he is currently wearing. Thus removing it only to find darkness and thick black blood comes as no surprise as the Blackfyre's coat of arms is a black dragon. Blackfyres are Targaryens with black blood. Varys is Blackfyre's blood, so he has black blood. To state his shadow looms over certain individuals (Ned, Sansa, Arya, the Hound, Jaime, etc.) is almost a given, considering how major a player he is and how many lives he has already affected so far.

There you go, first new topic, my little idea. Thoughts?

P.S. English is not my first language, I really did my best here, be nice please!

@Lord Spark of House Spark You must excuse the poor wording of my proposition; I do not necessarily think Gregor isn't referenced in the prophecy, what I am actually proposing here is that Bran's dream also means to indicate the looming influence of Varys as a hidden Blackfyre. Just as various omens have been multi-sided earlier in the saga (e.g. the identity of AA or the meaning of the red comet); I think this too is meant to be examined under different lenses. I for one believe it would fit nicely with the potentially upcoming Blackfyre development.

I, too, have wondered if Varys has any connections to the Targaryans (sp?) or Blackfyres. Mainly because he is bald and we basically know nothing about him. But I think Varys is a Sorrowful Man. It says in Daenerys III (A Clash of Kings), The Sorrowful Men were an ancient sacred guild of assassins, so named because they always whispered, "I am so sorry," to their victims before they killed them. In the Epilogue of A Dance with Dragons Varys says this right before he kills Kevin Lannister. Not hard core proof,but something to think about.

@Travis While I do not necessarily refute your theory, I don't think it is in any way foreshadowed in Bran's dream. I might not see it, but thick black blood does not ring Sorrowful Man is my mind.

Now for the truth, one little problem I have with my own theory is that Varys was never physically present at Castle Darry (the location suggested in the dream), but then again so was Gregor Clegane.

One last thing, as I was referencing double-sided prophecies (or multi-sided for that is), it must be pointed out that the shadow armoured like the sun has previously been attributed the Red Viper as well as Jaime Lannister (a spear piercing a sun is House Martell's coat of arms). Why couldn't this be true for Clegane and Varys?

Due to Gregor not being there, and him still having a head at the time, I personally believe the man armored like the sun is Oberyn.  Think about it, if GRRM is portraying Gregor in his undead state, than he already had the situation thought out, and who does Gregor loom over in a metaphorical sense?  Sandor and Oberyn.  Both men are obsessed with killing him, and both men will succeed.

• 3 weeks later...

I have never read anywhere that Blackfyres have black blood.

Even if you think of metaphorical, not actual black blood here I don't know why one would equate 'black blood' with Blackfyre?

There is a much simpler explanation for the missing head and the colour of the blood: The necromancy used by Qyburn. The colour 'black' implies 'dark arts' in this context, not Blackfyre.

On 1/25/2016 at 10:18 AM, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Due to Gregor not being there, and him still having a head at the time, I personally believe the man armored like the sun is Oberyn.  Think about it, if GRRM is portraying Gregor in his undead state, than he already had the situation thought out, and who does Gregor loom over in a metaphorical sense?  Sandor and Oberyn.  Both men are obsessed with killing him, and both men will succeed.

I have thought that Tyrion was the giant armored in stone.      He is called a giant enough, there is blood on his hands, directly, indirectly and accidentally, and he is slowly turning to stone on the inside (possibly?).  

On 1/25/2016 at 9:18 AM, aryagonnakill#2 said:

This!  Completely agreed!  I often feel like the lone voice crying in the wilderness on this interpretation and now...I've finally gotten a reply:D

Also, I kind of lean toward the "giant" that Sansa slays in that vision being Littlefinger because his house sigil is a titan (after the Titan of Braavos, I think) even though his personal sigil is the mockingjay.  Either that or maybe Bran was just seeing what actually happened with Sansa's "Winterfell" snow-castle and Sweetrobin's doll, etc.:dunno:

I have this interpretation.

1 - This is not a prophecy, this is a vision, sent by the 3 eyed crow/Brynden Rivers/Bloodraven.

2 - This vision showcases what was happenning in the Trident at that time, which  scene which were the consequences of the event which Joffrey bullies Micah, then attacks Arya, then Nymeria attacks him, then Cersei asks for Lady's head, and Ned pleads, Sansa cries, Arya keeping the secret of where she let Nymeria go.

3 - Given that, this vision is sent from Bloodraven to warn Bran. To warn that the shadows around that scene - which correspond to Jaime Lannister and the Hound (the two characters that appear most villaneous back then) - aren't the true, real, legitimate things to be feared. That there was a much bigger evil, a much bigger enemy, a much bigger threat. 

4 - Back in that stage of the series development, I seriously doubt that GRRM was plotting so much ahead to associate visions of Oberyn, Gregor Clegane or Varys/Aegon/Blackfyre. Even if it was true, and he was plotting this much ahead, what relevance would have a vision of Oberyn, or Varys association with Blackfyres or Targaryes would have for the plot which unifies Bran/Bloodhaven. 

5 - My argument also demand a broader look on the whole vision. This part of the vision is a microcosm of that chapter. He shows that there's a bigger evil. Then BR shows that there is a bigger picture to be seen, and then he shows the whole Westeros from high up. Then he shows something even bigger. He takes Bran to Essos. Gives the full picture of the relevant World for Bran's story. Then takes him to magic territory, to Asshai by the Shadow and gives visions about Dragons and stuff. And then takes him to where his destiny lies. To where he's needed most. He takes Bran to Beyond-the-Wall, and make Bran see right into the Heart of Winter, the true Eye of Sauron of this series.

6 - From local to global. From politics to magic. From humans to not-humans. From just aparent evil, to true evil. From what's less important, to his destiny. From a son of a lordling, to a greenseer. Fly or Die, he says. Which is actually the purest truth. If Bran didn't choose to fly, he'd be dead by the hands of Ramsey.

7 - This is actually a plot device. This is actually GRRM talking to the readers - in Bran Stark's history, there will not be politics and mundane things. This is magic territory, and the war here is not between humans in a politics game.

Archived