It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia II: A starter thread?!? This is a finisher thread!!

Theda Baratheon

not as good as part 1 for me but I have to keep in mind this was literally a closed box episode so they did incredibly well not to be dull at all.

There were still some great moments eg impressions, Dennis' onion trick and his love of Dee and the Stomp scene (I liked how if they didn't talk they could actually work well together).

I take it that was the last of the current season? If so, it was a very strong one.

5 hours ago, red snow said:

not as good as part 1 for me but I have to keep in mind this was literally a closed box episode so they did incredibly well not to be dull at all.

There were still some great moments eg impressions, Dennis' onion trick and his love of Dee and the Stomp scene (I liked how if they didn't talk they could actually work well together).

I take it that was the last of the current season? If so, it was a very strong one.

Yes, that was the season finale. It was ok, had a few laughs, but nowhere near as good as the rest of the season. But overall they're still on top of their game. This season had some true classics. So impressive for a show on it's 10th season. 

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Yes, that was the season finale. It was ok, had a few laughs, but nowhere near as good as the rest of the season. But overall they're still on top of their game. This season had some true classics. So impressive for a show on it's 10th season. 

I think this was the end of the 11th season. Besides that minor quibble I totally agree with the rest of your post. 

1 hour ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Feels weird as hell to say for this show, but did anybody else actually find it super touching when Mac said "let's go be with the gang"?

Yeah, that was nice. So was Dennis telling Dee he loved her. Real emotions coming from Dennis seems so odd though. :lol:

7 hours ago, Grand Moff Mithrandir said:

The imaginary dinner scene was amazing:lol:

Also, Amazing graaace how sweet the sauce

I liked Mac's "actor" pose when the scene broke down. Great piss take of acting class.

• 1 month later...

Have been doing a rewatch of Always Sunny for the past few months. I remember loving the show in college in part because I felt like I identified with the characters (particularly Mac) for kind of superficial reasons like "they do weird shit" and "they drink a lot lol".

Watching it now as an underachiever in my mid 20s who still does weird shit and still drinks a lot I realize its a lot more relevant to my life now than it was back then and I'm not really as happy about it. Also the connections between Mac and me circa early 10s are palpable in a way I never understood at the time (the constant, pathological need for validation, phony as fuck wannabe tough guy image, etc.)

Still one of the best comedies of the past 10 years or so, but watching it feels way more real now.

It's quite possibly one of the best comedies in the past decade. "You gotta pay the troll toll if you want to get into that boy's hole, you gotta pay the troll toll to get in. You want the baby boy's hole, you gotta pay the troll toll, you gotta pay the troll toll to get in." At that point, I was on the floor dying XD.

18 hours ago, Kindly Old Man said:

I have had this vague impression that Rob McElhenney was kind of a creep irl, but this is pretty cool: Lesbian teen kicked out of prom to appear on 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia'

Never thought he'd be a creep. I always hope the guy playing Dennis is just a good actor though!

Seems like a decent move by Rob. I'm actually intrigued at how her appearance will work given how characters like Frank behave. I'm sure they'll tread a fine line.

59 minutes ago, red snow said:

Never thought he'd be a creep. I always hope the guy playing Dennis is just a good actor though!

Seems like a decent move by Rob. I'm actually intrigued at how her appearance will work given how characters like Frank behave. I'm sure they'll tread a fine line.

Eh, I read this article a while back by the girl who was the original Dee, who said McElhenney ran her out of the show when she didn't want to be romantically involved with him. I don't know his side of things, but this story along with the fact that he married Kaitlin Olson just made me feel like maybe his plotline in 'America's Next Top Paddy's Billboard Model Contest' wasn't entirely fictional. 

Re: Dennis, Glenn Howerton specifically decided not to use his real name for the character (unlike Charlie and Mac) because he didn't want people thinking he was anything like that in real life.

Archived