It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia II: A starter thread?!? This is a finisher thread!!

Theda Baratheon

I finally watched the episode and while I found parts amusing, I was disappointing that it only slightly touched on the "Dennis is a psycho-monster" plot thread.

More seriously though I thought the "Charlie as Brendon Dassey" thing was fucked up. That guy has been in jail for ten years based on a bullshit elicited confession (as documented in Making a Murderer.) Charlie Day actually seemed to adjust his voice to mimic the man, who was like 16 when he gave the much criticized police interview that they seem to be referencing there that led to his conviction. 

On 2/2/2017 at 10:40 AM, Nictarion said:

:agree:

They also spoofed The Jinx btw. The part were Frank talked to himself not realizing his mic was still on was exactly what Robert Durst did. 

Frank going all Robert Durst was my favorite part of this episode, though Mac doing Austin Powers and Borat was close behind.

2 hours ago, briantw said:

There were a couple of funny moments and the idea was clever, but by and large I thought the episode just fell flat.  It wasn't funny enough to be a successful spoof of Making a Murderer.

The waterpark has been my favourite episode so far as it wasn't relying on parody whereas the rest of the season has been musical, reality tv/sitcom, UFC, or documentary based. I guess you could argue the water park episode assumes awareness of water parks but I feel full enjoyment of the other episodes has required a familiarity with the subject matter. Not that the episodes have been terrible but they haven't clicked as well as the waterpark episode for me.

I've been enjoying this season so far. I'd have to say the water park episode was my favorite in terms of laughs, and feels the most "classic Sunny." The other episodes are going in the direction of "themed" episodes so to speak, like the Gang turns Black or Making Dennis Reynolds a Murderer, and while funny, it's not why I think Sunny is so great.

44 minutes ago, Fat Mac said:

I've been enjoying this season so far. I'd have to say the water park episode was my favorite in terms of laughs, and feels the most "classic Sunny." The other episodes are going in the direction of "themed" episodes so to speak, like the Gang turns Black or Making Dennis Reynolds a Murderer, and while funny, it's not why I think Sunny is so great.

Where the fuck you been Fat Mac?

19 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Where the fuck you been Fat Mac?

Here and there. But I just cant quit this place.

18 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

He's been too busy cultivating mass.

Essentially accurate. Having some rum ham by the shore.

Also, I absolutely loved how Charlie had no idea that only fourteen dollars were left from Mac's payout at the end.  It was so perfect that he couldn't do the math in his head like the other characters and the viewer.

Really good episode and reinforces my own personal opinion that the show works better when you can enjoy it for what it is and not for the parody/guest star. Although in this case familiarity with the show itself elevates due to the ongoing Mac in the closet thing. I like how despite how horrible the characters are they are absolutely cool with Mac being gay - it actually makes the fact Mac's the only one uncomfortable with it funny.

I also loved the shoe mirrors

5 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Simply an amazing episode.  I couldn't believe how vulgar they went.  FX doesn't seem to care about censors at all lately.

Yeah they've essentially landed on HBO/Starz! lack of censorship with language. I wonder if this is for all their shows now or (weirdly just the comedies)? I think a lot of their shows could benefit from being able to use any words they want - particularly the ones where you'd expect it. I mean - it makes the sons of anarchy look peculiarly polite for a biker gang in hindsight. We'll blowtorch someone's tattoos off but we won't say "fuck" etc.

58 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

This was probably my favorite episode since Mac and Dennis Move to the Suburbs. I have to admit though, I will miss the closet Mac jokes.

I'm curious as to whether he will stay out and for how long. I thought it was fun last season seeing how much more relaxed he was so it gives his character some other things to do. Guess we'll see next episode if it's sticking around for a while.

I was also amazed by the scene featuring all the No-No words within 2 minutes except 'fuck'. My roommate only really watches the show if she's stuck on the couch while I have it on, and she was floored. It was great. And the Ass-Blaster 4000. What a thing of beauty. Oh god, making that prop must have been some intern's great success after an expensive art or stage degree. Hah. Amazing.

I would love if Mac goes through a mini character arc where he becomes a much more 'normal' guy for a few episodes, making the more psychotic characters upset. Then some crazy triumphant episode later this season where he stays confidently gay, but goes back to absurd levels of stupidity and or delusion. I don't want him to revert back to closeted Mac - and I doubt he will. There's plenty of other craziness behind those eyes, plus a bunch of great things they can do with him being comfortably queer.

Archived