It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia II: A starter thread?!? This is a finisher thread!!

Theda Baratheon

20 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Not my favorite episode of the season so far, but it had its moments. 

I think Charlie flipping out about the existence of ghouls got the biggest laugh out me. 

"As a straight man who poops transgender..." might be my favorite Charlie line ever. 

Also loved at the end when Dee makes a good point and it looks like they're all about to agree with her and then Mac just says, "Shut the fuck up."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the last episode was a bit weird. The show doesn't really work being heartfelt and that's definitely what they were going for here. I think it just caught me off guard as I was waiting for the usual humour to kick in during the last 5 minutes but besides the irony of him doing such a sexually charged dance with a woman I order to come out, at the end there wasn't a punchline. Really well choreographed and directed dance though. And yet more evidence that you can play Sigur Ros over anything and you get instant gravitas. Maybe this will change Frank but I tend to expect him to revert back to normal meaning I can't really take his revelation seriously.

I don't really know what to make of the season as a whole. You can see where they were working around Dennis' limited availability and the cracks did show - particularly with the two parters but it did a far better job than arrested development did with limited cast members. Although Arrested development was limited by several actors missing and not just one. I think it showed me that the show works best with everyone present. Unless they are committed to a season every year, I think they'd maybe be better off skipping a year and filming a season's worth with everyone. That or do fewer episodes next season. I guess it all depends how their respective careers continue to develop.

4 minutes ago, red snow said:

the last episode was a bit weird. The show doesn't really work being heartfelt and that's definitely what they were going for here. I think it just caught me off guard as I was waiting for the usual humour to kick in during the last 5 minutes but besides the irony of him doing such a sexually charged dance with a woman I order to come out, at the end there wasn't a punchline. Really well choreographed and directed dance though. And yet more evidence that you can play Sigur Ros over anything and you get instant gravitas. Maybe this will change Frank but I tend to expect him to revert back to normal meaning I can't really take his revelation seriously.

I don't really know what to make of the season as a whole. You can see where they were working around Dennis' limited availability and the cracks did show - particularly with the two parters but it did a far better job than arrested development did with limited cast members. Although Arrested development was limited by several actors missing and not just one. I think it showed me that the show works best with everyone present. Unless they are committed to a season every year, I think they'd maybe be better off skipping a year and filming a season's worth with everyone. That or do fewer episodes next season. I guess it all depends how their respective careers continue to develop.

I think the difference between Sunny and AD is that Sunny can basically have great episodes and terrible episodes and it doesn't really matter because they're all one-offs, outside of the occasional two-parter.  Arrested Development, on the other hand, tells a story from beginning to end, and so any cracks in the foundation really hurt the overall product.  I can just skip episodes of Always Sunny that I don't like and I won't miss much of anything, but I always re-watch Arrested Development from start to finish.

10 hours ago, briantw said:

I think the difference between Sunny and AD is that Sunny can basically have great episodes and terrible episodes and it doesn't really matter because they're all one-offs, outside of the occasional two-parter.  Arrested Development, on the other hand, tells a story from beginning to end, and so any cracks in the foundation really hurt the overall product.  I can just skip episodes of Always Sunny that I don't like and I won't miss much of anything, but I always re-watch Arrested Development from start to finish.

I think that's probably right. AD does rely a lot on continuity while sunny has continuity but it isn't essential to getting an episode. That said the finale helps if you know Mac's history (and that with his dad) and cricket is always far more tragic when you know his origin and degeneration.

10 minutes ago, red snow said:

I think that's probably right. AD does rely a lot on continuity while sunny has continuity but it isn't essential to getting an episode. That said the finale helps if you know Mac's history (and that with his dad) and cricket is always far more tragic when you know his origin and degeneration.

One of my favorite moments this season was during the sexual harassment seminar when Dennis showed the picture of Cricket in the presentation and said, "He was born like this."

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

For some reason I stopped watching this show in S3 or so several years ago, can't remember why. Anyway, just spent some weeks binging the whole thing and it's so amazing, definitely one of the all-time greats of tv comedy.  Have to add, apart from some moments, I didn't care for the latest season. I guess the cast are occupied with other projects these days, it just felt scrapped together. 

If I had to pick one episode that had me hurting from laughing it would be Who Got Dee Pregnant but i'm probably forgetting so many others. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived